Iron Man Mark IV Build - UPDATED Progress Report *Pic Intensive*

TonyStark

Progress Report- June 12th, 2011

After a recent game plan change I have focused my sights on a Mark IV suit to be completed before Halloween of this year. A bunch of us are going as the Avengers this year so I need a costume that works with that theme. I started a previous thread as my original intentions were to build the War Machine but as detailed in my other thread http://www.therpf.com/f24/pep-talk-my-first-build-war-machine-your-help-please-117310/ I've decided to hold off.

I've been working on this project for just over a week (started June 5th) and have so far. assembled the helmet, bought a Silhouette SD at the advice of another member (Best Purchase Ever!) Built a duct tape dummy named "Buster" following directions from Youtube and just finished the chest piece today...all Pepakura of course. I will be posting regular updates of my progress, your comments are always appreciated!

My next piece will be the "Chest brace" file, I wasn't aware I actually needed this until the other day while looking through the rest of Shark's files. Does anyone know if this piece stays with the rest of the armor once completed? Or....is this just to hold everything in place while resining??

Here's a pic of the file I'm talking about:

Cloud2go%202011-06-12%2010:58%20PM.jpg

Here are a bunch of pics of my overall progress so far...they're organized in chronological order, starting June 5th. I apologize for the image quality but they are generally taken indoors, at night, with a flash turned off iPhone camera which is why they have an orangish hue. I could edit them in photoshop but they look good enough for this purpose.

You'll notice the Silhoutte SD doesn't show up in the pics until later, the helmet(s) were cut by hand, anyone who has done this knows why I bought the cutter.

Cloud2go%202011-06-05%201:12%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-05%201:27%20PM.jpg

June 6th

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%2012:38%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%2012:38%20PM.jpg

June 7th

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%208:40%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%208:40%20PM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-06%208:44%20PM.jpg

Still have to fix this as it was cut down the middle to fit, for some reason this piece is too small...hence the gap. Perhaps I assembled this wrong??

Cloud2go%202011-06-09%2012:51%20PM.jpg

June 9th- Helmet done minus the small repair which will be completed at a later date, time to start on the chest armor...almost as many pieces as the helmet, grrr...but wait! Salvation! It was 8 at night and I was literally loading up the files to start the arduous print/cut process when my doorbell rang. Pleasant surprise, it was my Silhouette, I wasn't expecting it for at least a couple of days so thank you overstock.com!

I proceeded to cut 26 pages worth of chest pieces in less than 3 hours, including the setup of the machine! I think I got to bed around 3am that night, the gf was not impressed. I would be happy to answer any question you may have on the Silhouette, I'm an immediate advocate.

Cloud2go%202011-06-09%2012:51%20PM.jpg

June 11th- Introducing.....Buster! ;)
At this point (last Friday)I decided to put the chest piece on hold for a day or two and assemble a "duct tape dummy" to mount my parts on as they're completed. I have to say that building the dummy was more difficult than I anticipated, however the final product looks good and it's an accurate representation of my body proportions.

The most difficult part of the assembly is the amount of time that you have to stand still while being taped up...I only used 3 layers and it still took over 2 hours. The instructions I read recommended 5 layers, I would've passed out from heat exhaustion by that time and the girlfriends patience were wearing thin (as usual..haha), so we stopped at 3.

The next task which was no fun was trying to get the damn thing off. I ended up cutting it all the way down the back right to my waistline, slitting the wrists up halfway up my forearm and the feet almost up to the knee. I finally removed it 30 minutes later, along with about 8lbs of water weight.

For stuffing I cut up a bunch of old blankets and pillows (3 of each) which was just about the perfect amount. The frame was built using 20 feet of 1.5" PVC pipe. The best advice I can offer is remember to measure twice and cut once, this stuff isn't cheap ($71). When finished I only had about 8" left as I took the time to plan everything out on paper before hand.

I bought glue and primer as well but didn't end up using it as the fittings were VERY snug just pushed together...plus I'll have more flexibility down the road if I need to make any adjustments.

Overall, it's (he's ;))extremely sturdy and will serve it's (his) purpose, now I can focus on getting my armor assembled. I think I'll call him "Buster" ;)

Cloud2go%202011-06-11%2011:31%20PM.jpg

Back to working on the chest- June 11th

Cloud2go%202011-06-11%2011:31%20PM.jpg

Here's where I'm at as of tonight! -June 12th

Cloud2go%202011-06-12%2010:58%20PM.jpg

More updates to come soon....

Last edited:
oh man, what i would do for a Silhouette SD. unfortunately my fiancee doesnt consider a $200 machine to help cut pep as a worthy purchase. guess i'll have to keep going with scissors. looks great and can't wait to see more!!

oh man, what i would do for a Silhouette SD. unfortunately my fiancee doesnt consider a $200 machine to help cut pep as a worthy purchase. guess i'll have to keep going with scissors. looks great and can't wait to see more!!

Haha...mine feels the same way ;)
Best purchase ever!

Progress Report- June 14, 2011

Buster had a blowout today and required some emergency repair. It turns out that the cheap Rona Duct tape that I used doesn't hold up so well in a humid environment. In retrospect, you can actually see him starting to come apart in my last series of pictures.

I think the other part of the problem is that I put too much stuffing in the "groin" area causing unnecessary pressure...haha j/k

The disaster was averted with a heavy duty roll of all weather, 3M duct tape which just so happens to come in white...thought it would be a nice upgrade so I splurged.

Here is the pic of the all new and improved "Buster"...btw- ran out of tape at the end, hence the grey feet, cuffs and neckline. Gonna pick up another roll tomorrow.

Cloud2go%202011-06-14%2011:20%20PM.jpg

I've made the decision to attack the back piece next...holy crap! 29 pages of little pieces. Have I mentioned how much I love my Silhouette SD? Printed and cut all of these and re-ducttaped (is that a word?) Buster in less than 3 hours...has to be some kind of record

I will begin assembly tomorrow, my guess is it will be 2-3 days to complete this piece. I used exactly the same scale ratio as what was used on the front so hopefully it all lines up. I've been pretty lucky so far with getting the size right the first time...with the exception of my first piece, a War Helmet that would fit my 3 year old nephew.
Read some scaling tutorials after that experience.

Here is the Big ASS pile of pieces that you've heard so much about:

Oh yeah..the chest brace is done:

Cloud2go%202011-06-14%2012:13%20AM.jpg

More updates to come!

Tony... you've inspired me to finally take the plunge and get a cutter. This silhouette... how does it do with the folded lines? does it work well even with the smaller more intricate lines?

I Just bought myself an Silhouette Sd....HIGHLY recommend.

No cutting, and folding is much cleaner and easier

Tony... you've inspired me to finally take the plunge and get a cutter. This silhouette... how does it do with the folded lines? does it work well even with the smaller more intricate lines?

Does it handle short fold lines well though? Like lines shorter than a 1/4 inch? I'd be worried about the spacing it puts between the perfed lines.. aka the folded lines.

I Just bought myself an Silhouette Sd....HIGHLY recommend.

No cutting, and folding is much cleaner and easier

Does it handle short fold lines well though? Like lines shorter than a 1/4 inch? I'd be worried about the spacing it puts between the perfed lines.. aka the folded lines.

I have pepped the chest and back so far, and I have had no problems with the preferrations. Some of the tinny tinny tabs like less than 1/4 are flimmsy, but still hold up.

The only problem I ran into was the installation. You have to download a driver to get it to work. So if you decide to run with purchasing one. I can try to find the driver again to help you out.

Glad I could inspire someone...Silhouette should send me a T-Shirt or something *haha*

As Dericrw mentions in the above post, it does an absolutely fantastic job, except on the super tiny tabs...occasionally they well get cut off but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.

There is a way to adjust the space in between the perforations but I haven't messed with those settings so far as I don't feel there is a need.

Last edited:
Progress Report - June 15th, 2011

Progress Report- June 14, 2011
Buster had a blowout today and required some emergency repair. It turns out that the cheap Rona Duct tape that I used doesn't hold up so well in a humid environment. In retrospect, you can actually see him starting to come apart in my last series of pictures.

I think the other part of the problem is that I put too much stuffing in the "groin" area causing unnecessary pressure...haha j/k

The disaster was averted with a heavy duty roll of all weather, 3M duct tape which just so happens to come in white...thought it would be a nice upgrade so I splurged.

Here is the pic of the all new and improved "Buster"...btw- ran out of tape at the end, hence the grey feet, cuffs and neckline. Gonna pick up another roll tomorrow.

I've made the decision to attack the back piece next...holy crap! 29 pages of little pieces. Have I mentioned how much I love my Silhouette SD? Printed and cut all of these and re-ducttaped (is that a word?) Buster in less than 3 hours...has to be some kind of record

I will begin assembly tomorrow, my guess is it will be 2-3 days to complete this piece. I used exactly the same scale ratio as what was used on the front so hopefully it all lines up. I've been pretty lucky so far with getting the size right the first time...with the exception of my first piece, a War Helmet that would fit my 3 year old nephew.
Read some scaling tutorials after that experience.

Here is the Big ASS pile of pieces that you've heard so much about:

More updates to come!

Progress Report- June 20, 2011

This back piece is killing me! Over 150 separate pieces in this file...needless to say it's taken the better part of a week (2-3 hrs here and there) to get this back plate assembled. That being said, it's not quite complete. Probably another 2 hours or so to finish up.

I think I've made the decision to re-do my helmet, I'm not completely happy with the the overall look of this one (the jaw is crooked...see earlier posts) and I've gained A LOT more experience pepping since my first attempt. I'm armed with a different file this time as well so hopefully that solves the crooked jaw issue.

Haven't decided which section I'm going to take on next so I'll probably end up putting this new helmet together while trying to make up my mind.

For anyone else that has built one of these, please tell me that the Back & Chest are the most labor intensive?...I don't think I could handle another 150+ piece of armor ;)

Here's the latest images:
Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:05%20AM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:05%20AM.jpg

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%2011:06%20AM.jpg

Almost done.....

Last edited:
Somebody please help!! I think I f$%#ed up somewhere along the line. I've all but completed the back piece and decided to dress up Buster to see how it looks so far, to my distress I think the back piece is too large...see pics below. There is about a 2-3" overhang between the chest and back pieces where it wraps around the side.

Is this normal? Something tells me no :( What are my options at this point?? Anyone??? Thanks guys....

Cloud2go%202011-06-20%207:46%20PM.jpg

Seems okay from the front...I think!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back