Iron Man Mark III helmet - need help fixing!

grayofsand

Hello fellow geeks! :)

I bought this awesome helmet a few years ago from a guy on eBay, and it survived many trips but one day a builder working in my house cause a damage to its faceplate (see photos)... :-(

It has the battle damage look, but I didn't want REAL damage...lol

I am not good at all with building or fixing props/replicas, especially fiberglass or resin ones...so my question is: do you guys and girls have any suggestions on what I can do and/or buy to help me fix the damage? :)

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Cheers, regards.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 146
i see it like this: take dremel, carefully work with damage places, than take polyester putty and make 1-2 layer. than try to make it nice and smooth. than primer and paint. if you try well - it takes 3 days max.
p.s. if this split not only inside, but in the outside - you will need polyester resin and fiberglass too.
Cheers.

Many thanks Jmen, I will try to do that...thanks. And to paint the faceplate all over again, which type of paint do you recommend?

Have a good day.

hmm. if you will use 2k bondo (polyester putty) - then better 2k primer. then - acrylic paint. by the way, its better to use airbrush for paintjob. for primer - it does not matter. (airbrush or balloon with paint). for me - i wait nice and warm weather for my projects. all materials and stuff i have, so wait for a warm days. after paint will make a post about paintjob. if you have some question - ask. i will say all i know)
hope, it helps.

i see it like this: take dremel, carefully work with damage places, than take polyester putty and make 1-2 layer. than try to make it nice and smooth. than primer and paint. if you try well - it takes 3 days max.
p.s. if this split not only inside, but in the outside - you will need polyester resin and fiberglass too.
Cheers.

I agree completely! from how it looks in the photos it looks as if its almost cracked and broke a section of the faceplate off so unfortunately Im afraid you may need to use fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside to re strengthen it :unsure. I would work around the broken area with a dremel to clean it up a little and then use the fiberglass on the inside once you've realigned and straightened up the broken area to keep it in place and give it strength, and finally use the putty or possibly a light coat or two of body filler on the outside to fill the crack and of course a lot of good old fashioned sanding once the putty/filler is dry and set to smooth it all back out before you re paint it! Good luck, I hate it got broke on you, I'm not the best in the world but ill give what advice I can!!

Oh and after thinking about it, if the face plate is removable I would make sure I tried to work on it separate from the rest of the helmet since the red helmet portion appears to be ok in the photos!! Id hate to see ya accidentally scratch that part or something while fixing the faceplate! Good luck buddy keep us updated with how its going!

Thanks guys and yep it is removable...it only lights up when I put back the faceplate to its place. There are magnets that attach to it! :)

Ooh, I know...me and my gf were so gutted when we discovered what happened... :/

Other way - its make a silicon mold and make a plastic copy for faceplate. but its more hard way. then others.
we want to see result! )))) and photos of fixing process.

Yeah that way looks more complicated...now I will ponder all those options and tips you guys gave me, and buy those materials.
Also, I am a bit paranoid as I don't want to make it worse by not doing it right... :-/
Good night everyone, and once again thanks, cheers.

Yeah that way looks more complicated...now I will ponder all those options and tips you guys gave me, and buy those materials.
Also, I am a bit paranoid as I don't want to make it worse by not doing it right... :-/
Good night everyone, and once again thanks, cheers.

news, updates, photos? did you fix it?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back