Iron Man helmet, where to start?

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by devnl, May 3, 2012.

1. devnl

devnl New Member

I have to start off by saying I'm genuinly impressed by what everyone in this board has managed to put together. So much even, that I'd love to take a crack at making something myself. However, I have no experience whatsoever with working with foam, resin and any other thing mentioned here. A rather common item you see people create seems to be an Iron Man helmet. I'd love to make one myself, but I'm rather lost on how to start doing that.

What would be a good starting point for someone like myself who has no experience whatsoever in this field? I've read quite some threads on this board in which I see people talking about foam, paper, resin and all sorts of other terms, but I'm having some trouble with actually putting all this information together to figure out what goes into doing such a project. Anyone out there that can point me in the right direction?

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

Re: How to get started...

sorry to link to a different website but id recomend starting with a foam helmet there easy and dont take any where near as much time as the pep ones if you make a foam one your happy with then have a go at a plastic one check out this guy his youtube channel is amazing for foam armour and he has all the files youll need IRON MAN and WAR MACHINE FOAM Pepakura Templates

3. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

TheHeroTutorials - YouTube

Check This Guys videos out. He Goes by Stealth on here. Don't know him personally but he has helped me a ton with these videos! He goes Step by step with Foam builds and some on pep a well! Hope this Helps you out!

4. devnl

devnl New Member

What are the possibilities regarding e.g. lighting up the eyes or motorizing the faceplate when using foam, if there are any? And is it possible to achieve a glossy/metal look when using foam?

5. firebapx

youd be suprised how glossy you can get foam with the right sealing method and xrobots just released this which im really keen to have a go at XRobots - How To plastic coat foam & expanded polystyrene prop and costume pieces - YouTube

as for lighting most small L.E.Ds should be ok just dont embed them into the foam so as to avoid hot spots

6. devnl

devnl New Member

That looks like it could really create a nice result. I do have some more questions though:

• Does anyone know of a store where you can buy the necessary foam in The Netherlands?
    • If I use e.g. Stealth's pep files, how will I kow if the size is correct and how would I adjust it?

7. firebapx

do you guys have Argos over there if you do then they sell foam campng matts thats what i use youll see them in camping shops to there in pretty big rolls and really cheep. iv only ever seen them in blue and green lol.

8. devnl

devnl New Member

There are no Argos stores around here, but it does look like there's a wholesale on Plastazote plates in 2-15mm thickness. What thickness is ideal according to you all?

Schulte B.V.

9. G33k

G33k Member

If you do want to try pepping something, and fiberglassing it, start simple. Don't do the helmet first. Try shoulder bells, or the thigh maybe? The helmet's a lot of Recognisable detgoof up ail, and frustrating to goof up on. Expect a learning curve, and have fun!

10. devnl

devnl New Member

I'm probably going to use foam for starters. Not too expensive material wise so I can afford some screw ups. Still wondering about what foam thickness would be best to use though.

11. vargatom

vargatom Member

10mm foam is thick enough to hold its shape well enough. Even the 4mm I have access to is far too soft and I'll only use it for details and very small pieces.

I got my 10mm mats from Decathlon, the brand is Domyos - it is available in Germany too, not sure about your country.
    2mm and 4mm EVA foam is available on Ebay, this is a very good and reliable supplier:
    EVA foam products, Safe soft Flooring items in Craft Foam store on eBay!

Make sure to get a very good and sharp knife to cut the foam. Prepare for the blades getting dulled quickly, you need to replace them very often.
    I recommend an Xacto knife with the standard #11 blade, you can get it on eBay quite cheap. For cutting up one 60x60cm foam mat, I go through at least 5 blades, so I ordered a round 100 extra blades.
    You can also try a hot knife but I haven't found any in stores around here and the US ones won't work with our EU wall plugs. I also don't like how the heat melts the foam around the edges, making it hard to do precise seams.

Hot glue and glue guns should be available in your local Tesco/Auchan/whatever. Get a LOT of glue sticks.
    A heat gun is also preferred to standard hair dryers. You don't need anything stronger than 1500-2000 watts though.

Do plan on throwing away your first item though :) so that you don't get angry when it doesn't work. And even if you think you get it, don't start with the most visible part like a helmet...

12. devnl

devnl New Member

Thanks for that, we do have Decathlon around here. I've been looking on their website for now and can find quite some Domyos stuff. Do you happen to have some sort of producttype/code for the mats you use?

13. vargatom

vargatom Member

There's only one version of the 10mm thick 60cm x 60cm mats, and they only come in grey color, four pieces per pack. I'll check tomorrow for product codes (my "workshop" is somewhere else)

Another thing you may want to consider is protective gear. I'd suggest these:
    - safety glasses, protect against any splinters and from any fumes (from the glue, for example) going into your eyes
    - at least a standard dust mask, but if you plan to do painting, buy a 3M respirator
    - for hot glue and heat gun work, I'd also suggest some simple working gloves

These are all relatively cheap, considering how important your health is.

14. devnl

devnl New Member

I should definetly go and take a look at our local Decathlon then, however their webshop does not seem to have those mats, only other ones. Time to get out from after the computer and into the real world store :)

15. devnl

devnl New Member

16. devnl

devnl New Member

I've started my work on this but am still wondering about the following. I've printed the Foam templates that were edited by Stealth on cardstock paper, but am unsure if the dimensions are still correct. Due to the other paper format we use (A4 instead of Letter) the Pepakura Designer (or the printer) prompted me with the lovely message that the sizes didn't match up. It then asked if it should scale them, to which I replied with a resounding "No". So far so good it would seem, but I'm still doubtful if everything was printed correctly. Is there any way to check this, because I don't want to waste loads of foam before I figure out that it didn't match up.

17. devnl

devnl New Member

Re: First time foam build - Iron Man Helmet, what else?

Templates printed out. Foam bought. Let the games begin. Started out with the chin because I figured that would be the best part to start with. I attached a picture of the cutting and the plan (which helps me keep track of the parts) in the first post. However, I'm still a bit confused on how to cut the angle where the pieces will be glued together. I get that you need to cut them at a certain angle so you get cleaner lines, but how do you figure out the right angle. The chin for example has the bottom plate (the biggest piece) and on top of that the actual chin details. However, these angles aren't all just 45 degree angles if you ask me. So how do you figure out the correct angles and where to make angled cuts or not?

18. kyubi

kyubi New Member

I started my first ever build as ironman mark 3 helmet...

If you're going to pep it (big learning curve) make sure to do the pep piece properly and get the sizing right...

Also don't make the mistake of using bondo glass... even though i can probably wear mine for war... it!s a * to sand... even though most people like to use epoxy i still think poly is fine to work with... doing the pep, resin and normal fibre glass is the easy bit and done very quickly... you'll be very surprised.

for bondo stage i would recommend finding something that sands easier.

I'm power sanding and it's still a nightmare... bondoglass has broke 2 sanders *!

- - - Updated - - -

I think in the future i will be using warbla and eva foam