Iron Man Helmet Senior Project

georgedeng00

Hey guys. So I have already posted about this before but I got no replies and my project adviser suggested that I start another thread. My name is George and I am trying to make a replica Iron Man Helmet as a project. I am making it out of an EVA foam and basing it off of a template that I found online. Thus far I have a full paper model shown in the pictures. IMG_20180426_095817.jpgIMG_20180426_095818.jpgIMG_20180426_095821.jpgiron manpaper.jpg I am currently working on a foam model but have come up with a problem. I am looking to finish the foam with something to make it feel more metallic and rigid on the outside, but I do not know what to use. So I guess my main question is what should I use on the outside to make it hard and rigid?

How thick is your foam? 6mm? 10mm? If it's thick, it will be pretty firm. You will need to coat it before painting. Common options are plastidip (1 or 2 coats) or wood glue (PVA) and water (50/50 mix) applied with a paintbrush (maybe 5 coats..drying between each one)

Smooth-On makes a roto cast you could brush on (Smooth Cast 65D). It self levels and hardens but is tough to work with. Drips can harden and make things worse.

The cheapest and easiest is the PVA glue option.

Never underestimate the power of multiple layers of automotive rattle can paint and clear coat at the end

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There are so many answers to this.. do some searching here.

TONS of posts on finishing pep files...

What is the class for?

First of all thank you for the replies. My foam is actually only 2mm thick so it is pretty flimsy. I do also have some half inch mats though.

I did do some research before hand and saw a bunch of people talking about things like plasti-dip, wood glue, epoxies, and rubber but non of them seem to give me the hardness and metallic feel that I want. I want it to feel hard and rigid not just look like it. I will look into the smooth on option though.

Also this a weird thing that my school does where I can drop one class and replace it with a project towards then end of my senior year. I dropped English, way too much writing in that class.

Another quick thing, I don't think I was detailed enough in my first post so I would like to add a few details. My end goal is to get a helmet that looks something like this download.jpg So I do not want it super shiny and new but beat up and weathered instead. I was originally thinking of using plasti-dip or even a urethane but I really do not have any experience in this stuff so I came here to see what is best for that metallic outer feeling. In terms of weathering I am looking for a general dulling of the color and some scorch marks on the mask. I am also going to try to make the eyes light up and with a quick google search found this video for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZ8a03AiuM Finally and probably most difficult I will try and make the face plate motorized with a rail and motor system.
Thanks for the help in advance. I will probably be posting more as I get farther into the process.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back