Iron Man helmet Hinged with tracks

Finhead

Sr Member
I've been pm'd and emailed about this numerous times. I wanted to should how my 4 Piece helmet hinge system works to clarify why this does not work with other helmets and why I don't offer the hinge kits alone.
The helmet was designed with this system in mind from the start so the top slots are actually cast as tracks for proper and stable movement of the faceplate. Here's a few pics of the system and link to a vid of it working. :cool
Link to the vid and a few more pics.
Ironman 4 piece - a set on Flickr

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

Last edited:
The tracks are really cool. Keeps the faceplate moving in one direction only without any play back and forth. Real smooth. :thumbsup

Fantastic work. May I ask about the actual helmet build? Was it sculpted? Pepakura?

The finish on it looks absolutely immense, details on that if you have the time? :)

Fantastic work. May I ask about the actual helmet build? Was it sculpted? Pepakura?

The finish on it looks absolutely immense, details on that if you have the time? :)

3 Versions ago this started as a moded pep file. I have moded one of my casts 3 times (molded each) for this version so it's my own sculpt. My second last one is a 3 piece as this one started out as.
The finish is automotive grade urethane paint weathered with acrylic inks and lacquer clear to seal it off.

Awesome, I really like the colour, could you tell what exact colours you used,
the description or even better a RAL code, thanks

I've got RGB values for some of the more popular red paint colors. Let me know if want them. Still working on RGB values for the gold color.

Awesome, I really like the colour, could you tell what exact colours you used,
the description or even better a RAL code, thanks

The red I use is Dodge Blaze Red. The gold is just something that has been kicking around my bodyshop for like 20 years looked right to me, no idea what it is other than lacquer with no label ;) so can't help you with that.

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a couple of questions. Looking at pictures 3-5 it looks like the slot the metal pin slides in is pear shaped so the ball end of the pin stays in the track. Is this right? A dremel deburring tool should acclomplish this. Also there's a hole in the helmet at the end of the track, does this serve ny purpose? How do you place the hinges for correct travel? My thinking was to tape the lid to the helmet and very sparingly use hot glue to tack the hinges in place, and check the travel. but the metal pins go in how and where? Anyone who's done a Finhead lid like this please advise.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back