Iron Man helmet Dilemna

justinbauler

Hey Rpf this is my first real build thread. I recently received this beatiful helmet from Jowe on here.

Heres my issue...I have never done any prop working what so ever. I know the helmet needs to be primed and sanded a few times before applying paint. My question to everyone is, do you have any tips on where to start/go about starting? I really dont want to mess it up. any tips would be great, thanks!

Looks like a fin head casting, in which case you are very lucky as there is very little prep work needed.

First I would wash the helmet in soap and water just incase there is any residual wax on it from casting, once it's clean, give it a light sanding just to give the primer a slightly rougher surface to stick to. Then give it a few light coats of spray primer until it's completely covered.

You should then see any imperfections you might want to fix before paint. If it all looks good, give it another light sand to give the paint something to cling to and go for it.

For sanding, I like to use something like a 240-400 grade wet and dry paper. I always use it wet as it's less abrasive plus it doesn't create sanding dust

Good luck and have fun with it

your not going to need to do alot of cleanup either, basically just taking and oils off from the mold. then primer that bad boy!

/\ What they said. The Finhead Iron Man helmet is probably the cleanest cast I have ever owned. Very little prep work.

Have fun!....don't screw it up. :lol

Yes it is. He and i traded some stuff and I am casting one up for you. Essentially he got 2 helmets from me, but I had only sent him one. So instead of shipping him the other one, I will ship it to you.

wow. I am still blown away by the level of craftsmanship on alot of the peices i see on here. As for sanding and priming remember to go in small steps. you can always sand more if you find an area of need...its alot harder to repair an area youve sanded too thin. Spray the primer in thin coats allowing them to build up instead of trying to get it all covered in one spraying.

Ah I had a feeling that was the case but just wanted to clarify, these pulls are beautiful Finhead really outdid himself and I cannot wait to get the helmet! Thanks again guys!

That's amazing!!! I want one; j0wE!!! please PM me so we can arrange something.....

The best helm I've seen so far....

What a lucky man!!!! don't mess it up now!!!!

David

What? Why? Just clean it with soap and water, scuff it with a red scuff pad using soap and water. Dry it and prime it. Then scuff the primer with a grey scuff pad in water, dry and paint. Easy.
Scotch-Brite

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back