IRON MAN Hall of Armor W.I.P. Updates

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by IronWarrior777, May 18, 2012.

1. IronWarrior777

IronWarrior777 Well-Known Member

This will probably be my biggest build yet. I am creating Tony Stark's Hall of Armor. Every armor featured in here, will all be wearable. Also each of them will be full of tech and moving parts. (eg moving head plate, light up eyes, unibeam, hand blasters, missiles, rockets, back flaps, leg flaps, bluetooth, speakers, cooling system, and maybe even a heads up display.) The Marks that will be used are the Mark I, II, IV, v, VI, VII, the War Machine armor and the Iron Patriot. I also plan to create something that will " suit me up" like Iron Man.

I will have each Armor's detailed progress on a Facebook page, with links here:

J.T.'s Iron Man Mark VII Progress Page | Facebook

J.T.'s Iron Man Mark VIII Progress Page | Facebook

J.T.'s War Machine Progress Page | Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/JtsIronManMarkViProgressPage

J.T.'s Iron Man Mark V aka Suitcase Armor Progress Page | Facebook

Here is a picture of what I plan the final results to look like:

[​IMG]

Once a major piece of progress is done for each armor, I will post it here. All the little progress parts will be on the Facebook pages.

**Due to weather and unexpected events, I haven't been able to paint the armors. But now I can so prepare for plenty of updates.

**** I enjoyed making movie/ comic armors so much I decided to design my own version of a female Iron Man Armor and make it freehand.

***** Yes I do commissions, just PM me and I tell details.

******* To see recent updates click the last page in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

Re: IRON MAN Hall of Armor W.I.P.

youre missing the mk5 and mk 7 in the pic xD how do you have the space for that kind of stuff?

3. bignatedegg56

bignatedegg56 Active Member

an almighty challenge you've set yourself sir, i've liked the page and can't wait to see the finished results!

4. IronWarrior777

The marks I am adding aren't in the pic, and I am moving soon, so I am making a room just for props and costumes.

5. Boxman430

Boxman430 New Member

Wow, that's one massive project.
    I look forward to your WIP pics :D

6. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Subscribed to this. I would love to see this made.

7. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

Subbed! Man this is one hell of a challenge, best of luck!

8. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

dude you must have a huge appetite as this is one big mouthful of prop building, but best of lucky sir Ill be watch this thread for the WIP

9. markkNL

markkNL Member

I'll just say Good Luck to you sir, because this will be one hell of a job to do, especially if you want to make everything wearable and electronically movable. I will definitely follow this project.

10. Vinom11

Vinom11 Active Member

I want to see the "suit me up" part of the build. I haven't seen anyone be able to tackle the engineering behind an system like that. Best of luck!

11. Bishorzidi

Bishorzidi New Member

Are they all gonna be foam? Or are you going the Pepakura route? I see foam on your Facebook page, just thought I'd ask :love

This'll be a fun thread to watch either way.

12. kaffemustasj

kaffemustasj Member

Have you already made any of the suits, or is this whole challenge comming from nowere?
    Also, do you have any plans on the suit-up part?
    All of this has to be ridiculously expensive!..

13. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is what I would call a EPIC BUILD! Good luck!

14. KidCas5154

KidCas5154 Active Member

If you pull this off this will easily be one of the coolest rooms in existence on Earth PERIOD!

15. baden3

baden3 Active Member

Nice :) im building a hall of armor too. I decided to make the suit first 1 by one. these are what i made so far.

[​IMG]

just sharing goodluck man :D

16. scorpion

scorpion Active Member

OMG!!!!!!!!! i want this in my house
    looking foward to this build

17. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

Wow. I wish I had a separate room for things like this!

18. IronWarrior777

Yes Foam, pepakura would take way too long.

19. IronWarrior777

I am more than halfway done with the Mark VI, a few plans for the suit up part, but not much.

20. IronWarrior777

Cool, good job on the suits!

21. IronWarrior777

Here is an arc reactor test. I am just curious on what's everybody's opinion n if it looks good to work for all of the suits. It still has a few pieces to be added but it's close to the final part.

[​IMG]

22. EyeofSauron

thing is, the hall of armor probably doesnt have any light up chests, as you know, the reactor is in tonys chest :) just sayin xD

23. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

This is deffinately something that i have ta see being built good luck Iron Warrior777 and keep up th' good work brah!!!!!:cool:cool

24. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This seems very promising, good luck ! And you should definitely give a try to xrobot foam plastic coating technique to give your suits a nice fiberglass finish.

Well some of them must have a core inserted, if they don't, then how the hell did Rhodes suit up and steal the mark II and still use it War Machine ? Not to mention the Mark VII that did fly on it's own for a while in the Avengers ! But I may be wrong too :)

25. IronWarrior777

Yes I know, but I also will be wearing all of them too. Thanks for pointing that out though.

26. EyeofSauron

well he probably had several arcs lying around, he at least had the mk1 ark in his shop :D

27. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

It was not stated but implied that he had already modified the suit for Rhodes to use. Remember he offered Rhodes the use of the suit, but he declined, so at that point it was no longer required to be powered by Tony.

Not up to date on IM in comics but in the past the armor had it's own power source.

Dean

PS. In the comics whenever he had a suit trashed he never went back to an old model but always to the next version that was still in R and D. It's amazing how he always had a new suit to move on to. :)

28. GotWookiee

GotWookiee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This will be an impressive build to watch. I am particularly interested in how the armor assembly system will work. I know that there are now a number of affordable open source robot arm projects but all I've seen are desktop sized. The required range of motion seems like you would need some 6 foot long arms.
    Do you have any experience in robotics and/or done any research/planning into how you will build this? Really curious.

29. teragon

Well I don't know about the suiting up system, but since OP is planning to make foam suit, he doesn't need a couple of grand for each suit, you can have a very good build under 1K easy peasy, I'd say 600$ each with plastic coating, 400$ without.
    And I'd be already very impressed to see a room with several armors all in their spot just like the OP's design, even without suiting up system.
    I can see a few ways of doing this, but it would require a considerable amount of space and a high ceiling, as well as a more elaborate system to connect de parts than usual velcro and fastex.

30. -VERTIGO-

-VERTIGO- Well-Known Member

If he's got the DIY attitude, and the knowledge to do framing, drywall and such. There's no reason this has to cost "millions." Thousands? Probably, but millions? No. Good luck to you on your build, I hope you can pull it off :)

31. IronWarrior777

Ok thanks everyone for your support. I do have framing, drywall, electronics, and some robotics experience. GotWookiee, I do have a few basic plans, but not much. I am mostly just research on how to do the suit up part. Rather than the suit up way of Iron Man 1, I plan to make it more like a scrapped idea of the suitcase armor or Avengers suit up.

32. IronWarrior777

I found these pictures. I think this is the most realistic approach to the suiting up process.

[​IMG]

33. awestdesign

awestdesign New Member

Well yes you could make a easy ironman suit for aorund $200 with some bells and whistles but giving them a heads up display would cost a ton. I mean there are very few products on the market available to the everyday consumer that is a transparent led dislpay. As i stated before which is now deleted lol but ohh well. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he achieves his goal. The making of the hall is the easy part.

34. teragon

That seems even more complex to me :lol
    Assuming that you have a dedicated room, I would have chose a more Iron Man 1 method, with upper suit parts coming from the ceiling, much like a small crane, it would just hang and then start going down above you, and if you're standing still you would just have to let it slide on you like a t-shirt. That is for the torso and back part, and it would still need a way to secure them on you. I though of some crazy electronic strap tightener from the inside, that would pull the end of a strap like you would do on any regular fastex or strapping system, simply by rotating. The torso and back would be already linked by say, 2 straps on each side, but loose enough to allow you to slide in between, then once the crane would had lowered these two linked parts on your shoulders, the servo-controlled tightening of the straps would begin and seal it nicely on you. I'm still looking for the rest though ...
    Just a few crazy thoughts in my too busy head, if it helps I'm glad, if not, just tell me to be quiet :behave :lol
    I didn't realise he wanted to go that far, I though led eyes/reactors and motorized face plate and some other motorized gadgets were the goal, but I agree with you, if it has to have a fully functionnal heads-up display with A-R running on it, yes that will cost a hell of a lot more, more than a couple thousands I think !

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  35. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

IronWarrior777 I'd like ta apoligize for highjacking your build thread brah some people have th' gall ta be rude and direspectful and act like their th' a know it all about prop building when they are not all that great. Now back ta your build brah what are some of your ideas about a suit up station for ya hall of armours? I would have loved ta see how rodey got suited up for war machine!!!!!:cool:cool:cool

36. jschlosser

jschlosser Well-Known Member

you must have a huge house and a very understanding wife.. lol..

best of luck!

37. awestdesign

awestdesign New Member

lol ya brah!!!

38. teragon

Found something interesting for you : MOD Live GPS Heads up Display | Recon Instruments
    this snowboard/ski HUD seems to be the closest thing you'll find to the movie HUD of the helmet, unless you somehow make it yourself. I may use one of these in my own Mk VI armor if i manage to finish the project. From what I understood, all the informations like speed, weather, GPS, height, coordinates and stuff are displayed on a very small screen in your peripheral vision but it apparently it
    . Although, unless I misunderstood, the image does not appears right in front of you, overlapping what you see, like one of those Augmented reality app for smartphone using the camera, here the image stays on the small screen. In the other hand, you can track people using the same system, or find POI near you, so I'm a bit confused on how that works exactly. Cool thing is it has an SDK and runs on Android, so apps can be developed, adding new features that would fit us more than the basic functions, since they are for snowboarding and skiing normally. Heck, I'd buy an android phone just for it if it comes to that, but I'd like to see it run with iOS...
    The downsides : 400$, that will make the cost of the suit go up, and my guess is that you'll need some space, so it's not really a problem, but it means that the helmet have to be big enough.

39. IronWarrior777

That's a very good idea actually.

40. IronWarrior777

Its cool. The WM suit will be an interesting part of the build, because nobody has seen it happen in film yet.

41. IronWarrior777

Thanks, I will remember this when I start on the HUD

42. IronWarrior777

One thing that is a pain to make. All the finger pieces. Does anyone know of an easy way to make them? I am making them for all the suits, and it is taking forever!

43. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Each suit was powered by it's own reactor after the MkIII. This is how Rhodes was able to pilot the War Machine in the second film.

44. teragon

A quick easy way to make the pieces would be to 3D print them, but it will cost more than doing yourself, especially for 4 or 5 sets ! And you would still have to assemble them with a fishing line or another method.

45. markkNL

markkNL Member

Maybe make them once and cast them? I don't know if they are all the same but I guess they are.

46. newtype2099

newtype2099 New Member

I made an account exclusively for this. we share the same dream, IronWarrior. I want the full hall and everything.

I want to build all the armors from Mark I-VII (or more...) and have them on display. not all would be wearable (I and V come to mind). however, I intend to do the pepakura route, but I can't seem to find more files beyond Mark IV and VI. so I guess VI is what I'm working on first.

also, I may get into foam building for at least one.... but i'll need files to get that far.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  47. teragon

Check out TheHeroTutorial videos on YouTube, he has a link I think for the mark VII. You should also find it in here somewhere !

48. IronWarrior777

Awesome, hope my thread helps. Searching on Google or here on the RPF is a good place to start for the files.

49. IronWarrior777

Yes those videos work great!

BTW everyone, I have a FB page for the War Machine armor up:

J.T.'s War Machine Progress Page | Facebook

50. IronWarrior777

Does anyone know of a good PEP file edited for foam, a screen accurate mark V aka the suitcase armor? If not thats alright, I will just have to design it my hand.