Iron Man Foam Question

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Angelflavor, May 10, 2012.

1. Angelflavor

Angelflavor New Member

I'm making an Iron Man Costume. I have never worked with foam until now and I have a few problems I ran into while working with it.

I bought 12mm Foam from my local Lowes store and cut out the patterns (from stealth) for the Forearm. I'm using hot glue gun with High temp glue. When gluing the parts together The seams break, either just enough to make it have a gab or come a part all together.

So what am I doing wrong? Is it the way I'm gluing or is the foam to thick. If the foam is to thick can I use it some place else for the suit.

I'm also going to leave some pictures of my "experiments". 1st two are paper craft which was to big. I tried to resin for practice, which it looked okay but for the "mask" part which was flatted. I will need better support if the final helm is going to be resin based. The other is 1mm foam which I did as practice for thicker foam. To bad even with practice I ran into some problems. :facepalm

Any help would be awesome.

2. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Can you put up an image of what your broken seams look like? That would give a lot more information about what is going wrong.

Dean

3. CaptainVermont

CaptainVermont New Member

Are you holding them together long enough for it to fuse?

4. Loogie

Loogie New Member

Try using ur heat gun on low temp, the temps too high and it isn't fusing well

5. Angelflavor

Angelflavor New Member

Thanks for the speedy replies. I found some things on this site that I'm going to try to help it fuse together. If heat is the problem then I will need to buy a new glue gun, due to it doesn't have settings.

6. -VERTIGO-

-VERTIGO- Well-Known Member

Definitely grab a dual temp glue gun, make sure you grab multi-purpose glue sticks. I got a new one today with about 20 sticks at JoAnns for $10, and grabbed 100 multi-purpose sticks for about 8 bucks.

7. Angelflavor

Angelflavor New Member

Updating this. I'm almost done. Found 6mm foam end up being what I needed to make this work. 12mm was to heavy and hard to work with. Only the helmet is made of it

8. Angelflavor

Angelflavor New Member

More Pictures