Iron Man By Design Build (NEED 3D HELP)

Johnnymuffintop

Greetings RPF,
I've been here for a little while and lately all of your work has been inspiring me to get something actually completed.

I'm becoming a real life superhero (there was an HBO documentary about them if you're interested in finding out more), and my theme is essentially "middle class Iron Man". While coming up with a design, I came across the cover of "Iron Man By Design" #1, and I immediately feel in love with it.
55_IRON_MAN_BY_DESIGN_1.jpg

Being the amateur I am, I didn't exactly know where to start, but from what builds I've started (War Machine for a friend, Magneto helmet, HEV suit) peps are just the easiest thing to go with, at least for now.
I requested assistance from the 3D modelling forum on 4chan, and lo and behold, they delivered:
1322315853619.jpg

Only one slight problem, they did it in zbrush, which is WAY too high poly for my needs, so if anyone out there could perhaps create a low poly cage, or just decimate while making sure it maintains the right dimensions, it be GREATLY appreciated. The model can be downloaded here.

But aside from the request about the model, this thread will also be showing off the WIP and completed build, as well as showing off the actual armoring/tech I'll be building into my suit.

leaving aside all the pros and cons for this whole real live super hero stuff, im pretty sure this is a veeeery unpractical costume for it :)

The costume isn't what I'm wearing from that, just the helmet.
And real life superhero work is basically just walking around in a costume helping whoever and however you can. Someone needs help pushing a car, you go and help, someone is attempting to drive drunk from a bar, call a cab for them.
It's essentially Neighborhood Watch 2.0, if there's a crime happening, record it on video and report it, ONLY step in if someone's life is on the line.

And yes, that one is impractical.
My suit is going to be a EVA foam Iron Man Mark IV with some tweaks, then given a layer of truck bed liner for minor knife proofing, which a conceilable vest underneath and tasers built into the hands (with an on/off switch, of course).

Someone over on the 405th helped me with the model, though it's not exactly detailed, it's at 6000 polys, which is much easier for pepakura to run.

Took a few minutes in that, made a quick EVA foam pattern out of it, and here's where it's at now:
tumblr_lvcwq533g71r5ay8ao1_500.jpg

Not at all, chances are I'll be making a second version at some point, so I'd appreciate it. :D
Would also love to see anyone else make it too.

Anyone think they can make the high poly version hollow for me? I wanna attempt to use Shapeways for the first time and I'd like to try it with this (since no one else has made one yet. :p)

Last edited:
You're going to invest a lot of money for something you're going to take on patrol using shapeways.

Why don't you get a proper protective helmet and mod that one somehow?
it will probably will cost a huge chunk of money less, than doing all this for a helmet.

This prop helmet thing is not going to protect you from a bat or other trauma if you ever run into it.
People are jerks also, they will see you and purposely give you a hard time.

so be safe. I know a few of these RLSH. They don't worry too much about looking flashy like this. They look more tactical like security but not enough to pose as one or a cop.
They don't want to draw the wrong attention.

Last edited:
I appreciate your concern. The plan is get something like a ski helmet and build on top of it, I mainly just want to do the faceplate part via shapeways.
I'm also experimenting currently on how I can use bedliner in molds or spray it onto a foam costume to add minor knifeproofing.

No worries. Besides, I'm going as tactical as possible, just want to also show off what I build, since I do LOVE to build.
And always safety first, never patrol alone, carry a cell and camera, be vigilant.

Also, have you ever tried truck bedliner material to coat an EVA suit build? I'm trying to find anyone with a little knowledge before I invest in testing, since I'm practically working with a negative budget already.

No worries. Besides, I'm going as tactical as possible, just want to also show off what I build, since I do LOVE to build.
And always safety first, never patrol alone, carry a cell and camera, be vigilant.

Also, have you ever tried truck bedliner material to coat an EVA suit build? I'm trying to find anyone with a little knowledge before I invest in testing, since I'm practically working with a negative budget already.

I love the steampunk Ironman reference you're using... almost makes me want to attempt another IM build... almost. :lol

However, I'm at a loss regarding EVA foam with a hard plastic backing... If you are going to have a hard plastic backing, you don't need the EVA foam - just use a heat gun and mold the hard plastic into the shape you want. The only purpose I can see from building with EVA foam would be to create a comfortable but good-looking alternative to wearing hardened armor. Since you intend to have hardened armor anyway, just skip the foam.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Ah, you see, the EVA foam is mostly just to get the shape, it's easy to make and looks good. The bedliner isn't just your regular plastic, this is STRONG stuff. And I wasn't planning on covering the entire suit with it, just areas that are likely to gain high impact or possibly a glancing slice with a blade. I want the foam underneath for comfort, even if the chest has the liner coated on the outside, having the inside still be eva foam makes it much more comfortable to wear. Plus, when bed liner is applied, it maintains the shape it's sprayed in, so, if I do a couple coats on the outside of the chest or forearms, even if I take a tumble there won't be any bends or cracks in the plastic.

Ah, you see, the EVA foam is mostly just to get the shape, it's easy to make and looks good. The bedliner isn't just your regular plastic, this is STRONG stuff. And I wasn't planning on covering the entire suit with it, just areas that are likely to gain high impact or possibly a glancing slice with a blade. I want the foam underneath for comfort, even if the chest has the liner coated on the outside, having the inside still be eva foam makes it much more comfortable to wear. Plus, when bed liner is applied, it maintains the shape it's sprayed in, so, if I do a couple coats on the outside of the chest or forearms, even if I take a tumble there won't be any bends or cracks in the plastic.

I misunderstood... So, you're talking about putting plastic pieces on the OUTSIDE of a foam costume.

If that's the case, the issue I see (purely from the costuming side of things) is how much wear-and-tear you will be pushing on your foam costume. Even the thickest of the EVA foam is not really designed for any stress more than a minor 'tumble.' Any more than that and you'll likely rip the foam (which would nullify it as effective armor of any kind).

I'm with STEALTH on this one. If you're looking for protection, find something designed for that. If you want to build a great looking costume that's easy to wear, EVA foam is a great way to go.

Combining the two will likely result in both an ineffective piece of armor, as well as failing to look very cool. :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back