Iron Man Armour For a new cosplayer

Gari14

Hi all,

I'm glad I found this forum as it seems like the perfect place for me to get chatting to a very passionate bunch of like-minded people on here. I apologise in advance if I have put this thread in the wrong section.

So, I'm new to cosplaying but I've always wanted to get involved with it all after visiting Comic-Con in London for the last three years and seeing what an awesome community revolves around cosplaying and a huge passion I have for Iron Man. Sorry for the random story at the start, but I'll get to the point right now...

I've been looking for Iron Man armour for a while and have done various research on companies that make the armour, but I wanted to find a place (here) where I can get some awesome advice on who's armour is good and who's is bad.

At the moment, I have a few options that include;

1. thearmorfactory.com (seem reasonably priced, but not sure of their quality)
2. buyfullbodyarmors.com (ridiculously expensive but seem to have great electrical add-ons)
3. R.A.W. on Facebook (was told he does great armour and seems to be reasonably priced)
4. Masked Rider on here

I can't see myself going with option number 1 as the price for the suit and add-ons are ridiculous and while I love the look at some of the cool add-ons he does, apparently the quality of the suit and his terrible customer services skills aren't the greatest. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube where a guy spent $4500 on Iron Man armour and it honestly looked like it was made for $500. Glue everywhere, paint peeling off, parts falling off etc. This video was from 2015, so maybe the company has improved a lot since then, but who knows.

2,3 or 4 seem to be great options for me and I suppose, at least I have a few options which are better than having none. Sorry again for the long post, but I wanted to try and explain where I am at the moment with regards to research etc. Any recommendations and advice would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Gari.

Hi all,

I'm glad I found this forum as it seems like the perfect place for me to get chatting to a very passionate bunch of like-minded people on here. I apologise in advance if I have put this thread in the wrong section.

So, I'm new to cosplaying but I've always wanted to get involved with it all after visiting Comic-Con in London for the last three years and seeing what an awesome community revolves around cosplaying and a huge passion I have for Iron Man. Sorry for the random story at the start, but I'll get to the point right now...

I've been looking for Iron Man armour for a while and have done various research on companies that make the armour, but I wanted to find a place (here) where I can get some awesome advice on who's armour is good and who's is bad.

At the moment, I have a few options that include;

1. thearmorfactory.com (seem reasonably priced, but not sure of their quality)
2. buyfullbodyarmors.com (ridiculously expensive but seem to have great electrical add-ons)
3. R.A.W. on Facebook (was told he does great armour and seems to be reasonably priced)
4. Masked Rider on here

I can't see myself going with option number 1 as the price for the suit and add-ons are ridiculous and while I love the look at some of the cool add-ons he does, apparently the quality of the suit and his terrible customer services skills aren't the greatest. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube where a guy spent $4500 on Iron Man armour and it honestly looked like it was made for $500. Glue everywhere, paint peeling off, parts falling off etc. This video was from 2015, so maybe the company has improved a lot since then, but who knows.

2,3 or 4 seem to be great options for me and I suppose, at least I have a few options which are better than having none. Sorry again for the long post, but I wanted to try and explain where I am at the moment with regards to research etc. Any recommendations and advice would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Gari.
I recommend 4, but I suggest that you should make an armour yourself with EVA foam.

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

I recommend 4, but I suggest that you should make an armour yourself with EVA foam.
Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

I was tempted to go down the EVA foam route, but I prefer the more realistic look that you get from EVA foam and epoxy resin so that's an option I suppose. The armour I go for will be made from EVA foam but It has to give off the metal look. I've seen some (that are made from EVA foam) that after having the paint applied, it didn't look right.

Last edited:
I'd recommend making your armor. If EVA foam doesn't interested you, try worbla or sintra. Both are rigid materials that can be sculpted into any shape and then painted with pretty much anything. I've seen a lot of success with automotive paint on worbla. It will cost you more than EVA foam will, but it will last through multiple conventions. But the best part is that you'll also have the pride in a self-made costume.

It's all in the paint technique. You can have the most beautiful eva foam work ever, but if the sealing and painting techniques aren't there, it won't look right. Urecoat from smooth on, spaz stix mirror chrome, and candy gold. Go nuts :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back