1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Unlimited Run Iron Man and War Machine eyes! Or any other kind of glowing eye you might want.

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Risu, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Risu

Risu Master Member

The Star Lord eyes have proven to be really popular and I've received some requests to make other lenses with the same design. So far I've made a set for a Space Marine, an Iron Man, and a War Machine. I can do any glowing lenses in either red, blue, or green. These Iron Man/War Machine lenses can also be made with the square pattern grid I've got on my Star Lord lenses, but the triangles create the most blended, uniform light pattern with the least dark space while maintaining high visibility.

Iron Man
    [​IMG]

War Machine
    [​IMG]

Space Marine
    [​IMG]

For those who aren't familiar with my Star Lord lenses, these are glowing eyes that you can see through with some pretty good clarity, it's like wearing colored sunglasses. Depending on the color, the LEDs can be nearly invisible from the inside because of the contrasting color of the acrylic filter lens. The blue lights are the easiest to see through, followed by the green, then the red. Here is a picture of the red light eyes from behind, they're turned on in this picture and the power supply you can see is actually on with a lot of red LED numbers on it displaying voltage and current. The red lights are erased by the filter. (don't wear them while driving)

[​IMG]

And here's a picture from a little further back. This is how your average con photo will look.

[​IMG]

Custom lenses can be cut with different engraving patterns on them. Simple shapes work best. Custom lenses will be priced dependent on size and engraving pattern, but the Iron Man/War Machine lenses are $30 for a set, which comes with two engraved clear lenses, two filter lenses, and two LED strips with wires soldered on. Connecting the two pairs of wires to a power supply and/or switch is up to the end user. They can be powered by either a 9 volt or 12 volt battery.

Murdoch likes this.
  2. mrcouchman

mrcouchman New Member

Would you be able to do white? (White or clear LED as opposed to blue/green/red)

3. Risu

Risu Master Member

Unfortunately white doesn't work. The filters work as contrasting colors. The blue lens stops red light, etc. Nothing contrasts white, so while they would like great from the outside, you'd be blinded inside.

4. domead

domead New Member

Risu, What are dimension of War Machine set? What color are they when off?

5. Risu

Risu Master Member

They can be custom sized, but I think my current art is something like 3cm by 5cm. When they're off they look like the Star Lord eyes, blue behind a partially frosted white.

6. ntegra8d

ntegra8d New Member

I'm down for those iron man eyes. Do you accept PayPal?

7. Risu

Risu Master Member

Yep. Sending you a PM.

8. medic2410p

medic2410p Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PM sent

9. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When using the green LEDs does everything still look blue or is your view tinted to a different color? What about the blue LEDs?

10. Risu

Risu Master Member

With red LEDs your vision is blue, with blue LEDs your vision is orange, and with green LEDs your vision is red. Technically, for non-Star Lord eyes, I could offer the red LEDs with a green diffuser, which might result in SLIGHTLY clearer vision. I'd have to pick up some green, though.

I've made a couple more things recently. Here are some eyes I made for a mask.

[​IMG]

I just finished something else, but I'm going to wait for the owner to see it first before I post pics.

11. FirstPick

FirstPick Well-Known Member

So this could be perfect for a cylcops visor

12. Risu

Risu Master Member

It would definitely look good. Here's that project I just finished for example:

[​IMG]

The process of making these kinds of things curved is SUPER time consuming and labor intensive, and as a result I have to charge a lot more, and might also need to have the helmet or other object in hand to make it work, like I did for this Halo helmet.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  13. FirstPick

FirstPick Well-Known Member

That Locke helmet is beautiful.

14. SarlaccSlayer

SarlaccSlayer New Member

I'd love a pair of star-Lord lenses for my rocketeer helmet.

15. 375adam

375adam New Member

Do you have any pics of the eyes in an iron man helmet

16. Risu

Risu Master Member

I don't have an Iron Man helmet to install them in, but if one of the people who bought a set would care to post a picture, I'd appreciate it.

17. medic2410p

As soon as I get mine installed I'll try and get a pic on here.

18. domead

domead New Member

Risu. Interested in War Machine version. What is turn around time?

- - - Updated - - -

Medic2410p. Did you happen to get installed in your iron man. Would love to see pic.

19. medic2410p

Waiting on the Helmet to get back from GeneralFrosty (he's taking care of the finishing and paint) should be in the next week or so. I'll try get some up here as soon as I get them together.

20. Risu

Risu Master Member

I'm looking forward to seeing that. Frosty does some insane work with paint.

21. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Risu,
    Been watching this thread .. if you tell me that you have the pattern for a Finhead War Machine helmet, I'll take a set from you. I just don't want to have to fumble around with it, else it's never gonna get done!

22. Risu

Risu Master Member

I'm not sure what you mean about the pattern. I can make them to fit any helmet, I just need measurements and maybe a picture.

23. funkster

funkster Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey dude.

Did you ship my eyes?

24. Risu

Risu Master Member

Yep. On Wednesday morning.

25. funkster

BOOM :)

26. MorbidCharlie

MorbidCharlie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Risu, you are my hero, sir. I will be buying a pair of IM eyes from you very soon. :D

27. funkster

Mine came today :)

Can someone talk me through the construction of these

I'm guessing blue plastic, LED in between, then diffuser?
    How do you get the LEDs to go round the corners?

28. Risu

Risu Master Member

They line up pretty well between the corners. I've wrapped a few of them. It's tricky to hold the LEDs in place, but once you get them glued they look great. Just start from one of the inside corners. Also be sure the frosted side of the clear lens faces inward.

29. Risu

Risu Master Member

Near the end of the month, I'll be going out of town for 3 weeks. During that time I'll have limited internet connection. If you'd like to get a set of lenses any time soon, I need to receive payment by the 20th at the absolute latest. Anybody who gets their payment in by then and has provided their address will have their lenses shipped out before I leave on the 24th. While I'm gone, I will still be able to take orders, but my internet connection will be sporadic and I may be slow getting back to people. Any lenses that are ordered and paid for while I'm gone will be processed quickly once I return to ship in time for Halloween (if you're in the US, I can't guarantee shipping times overseas).

30. ubcs86

ubcs86 Active Member

Anyone that got one of these kits have pictures for the iron man helmets?

31. Bigturc

Risu,
    Any chance we can see War Machine or Iron man eyes that you're doing? I measured my Coofunkcurly WM helmet and have the exact measurement I'd need.

It's not clear to me what we buy from your kit? Is it working? It does seem like it has batteries? Is it built? Contact me to talk about it!

32. medic2410p

I think he is out of town for a few weeks.

33. Bigturc

My helmet has been waiting for a few years now .. it can wait a couple more days! ;)

34. medic2410p

I have a set of his ironman eyes I am going to put in my MK III. For the ironman eye kit you get a set of red filter lenses a set of the etched clear lenses and a set of blue led strips. They look pretty sweet. Once my helmet is done I'll post some pics of the eye kit install.

35. Thoramyre

Thoramyre Jr Member

HURRY DEAR SIR!!
    My curiosity is killing me!

36. Risu

Risu Master Member

Just bumping this, still out of town, but I'm getting all your PMs. I'll get back to all of you asap once I'm home on Thursday. As for what's included, you get two pairs of lenses and two led strips with wires attached. The iron man eyes are a pair of clear etched lenses and a pair of orange lenses with a blue strip. The war machine have blue lenses and red strips. When I get home I'm going to write up a proper tutorial for these sets, as they differ a bit from the way the Star Lord eyes go together. The kits do not include batteries because I can't mail them and you'll need to replace them from time to time anyway. I also don't include a switch or 9 volt battery clip, as both of those can be purchased at any old electronics store, and I don't have stock of them handy. I also don't normally fully wire them up because I don't know where each person wants their batteries and switches mounted and how much wire they'll need in total. That being said, I have done a few fully wired sets at an additional charge. These have all the soldering done and include a switch and clip, with whatever wire length you request. Still no battery though, because of the reasons I mentioned. The price for this varies depending on the helmet, wire length, etc.

37. medic2410p

So it has been a while but here is the eye kit in my battle damage MK III I had done by GeneralFrosty.

IMG_1409.JPG IMG_1413.JPG

38. ubcs86

ubcs86 Active Member

Freakin awesome! Wish I had ordered in time for this weekend. Might still order just to swap out the eyes I made in a pinch. These turned out great!

39. medic2410p

He takes good care of his customers, and makes a quality product kit.

40. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  41. medic2410p

I got it a few years ago from thorssoli

Bogleo likes this.
  42. Risu

Risu Master Member

Chris, that looks fantastic! Are those the new lenses I sent? If so, they arrived really quickly.

Sorry I haven't responded to everybody yet. Still getting caught up. I went through my PMs, but haven't gone through the thread yet. I'll hopefully get caught up late tonight.

43. medic2410p

Yes they are and they really did show up fast!
    The install was a learning curve for me, but once I got the joist of what I needed to happen it was really easy. They work great now just got to get them to flicker intermittently..
    Got a few more helmets to light so once I get to that point you'll be getting few more orders from me.

44. Thefaz13

Thefaz13 New Member

image.jpeg

Got them all out together! Look great, and I can see through pretty easily (lights on or off). Thanks Risu!!

medic2410p likes this.
  45. jdmjunkie714

jdmjunkie714 New Member

These look amazing good work....im definitely interested in the Ironman sets will pm when im ready.

46. funkster

Can someone help with these as I'm really not getting how to put them together

47. medic2410p

I basically holding a lens in one hand wrapped the LED around and then wiggled the other lens into the other side. I added a few drops of glue to the edge on one end to hold it till I got everything where I wanted then glued the rest. Repeat. Just don't make the mistake I did the first time I mounted the and installed them backwards. Really hard to see through when you are light blinded... :p

48. Risu

Risu Master Member

Good technique. And just to remind everybody, don't use super glue (cyanoacrylate) because it fogs the acrylic.

49. medic2410p

I used hot glue, messy but easy enough to cleanup.

50. ubcs86

ubcs86 Active Member

Are these still available?