Iron man 3d helmets

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been building (in a cave, from a box of scraps) a few of my favourite IRON MAN iterations. Not sure now where all the awesome files came from but I have modified them, mostly in Blender to 3d print them. Obviously a huge thank you to the supremely talented and generous dudes on here who have made them available...I hope I am not infringing anyone's work
I am working on MK3, MK17, MK33, MK45, IRON PATRIOT, WAR MACHINE and EXTREMIS...greedy moi?

This is what I have so far; DSCN0242.JPGDSCN0252.JPGDSCN0272.JPGPHONE PIX 2015 1076.jpg

Interesting work!
It could be interesting for people like me (newbie) you explain your work (chronology, materials...etc).
Thanks for share.

Yep I am still working on the best way of getting them finished, but basically...search for a good pep file; like Dancin' Fools MK3 files. Open it in Pepakura designer. If you like it convert it to an Object OBJ. file.

Then open it in Blender. Scale it, Solidify it and Smooth it. And then probably split it into parts small enough to fit on your 3d printer. I'm using an Ultimaker 2 at the moment but I have started building my own oversize machine (gulp!)
DSCN0250.JPG

Once you have all the parts, warps and all, glue them together. Then comes the joy of filling/sanding, Bondo/Rondo usually, literally for days and days and days until you are happy with the surface, which will seem like never!
.DSCN0252.JPG
Actually if anyone on here knows how to put up pix from Pepeakura/Blender I would be grateful for the heads up. After all, what's a post without pix! Here is the latest on my crew;
WAR MACHINE (mean)
stark 001.jpg
MK 42 (moody)
stark 004.jpg
IRON PATRIOT (butch)
stark 002.jpg
MK45 (aloof)
stark 003.jpg
EXTREMIS (weird)
stark 005.jpg
SCHOOL PHOTO
stark 006.jpg
My MK 3 is covered in Silicone, waiting to be cast...first one I finished...obviously! I am also working hard on the fully wearable MK3 suit...pix to follow
DSCN0275.JPG

Hey guys, so here are some pix of my MK3D build;

STARK REACTOR 001.jpgSTARK REACTOR 002.jpgSTARK REACTOR 003.jpgSTARK REACTOR 006.jpgSTARK REACTOR 007.jpgSTARK REACTOR 008.jpgSTARK REACTOR 009.jpgSTARK REACTOR 010.jpg

I have focused on producing most of the large parts and post processing them the usual way. Has anyone else tried XTC from Smooth-on? I thought it might well be the best thing since sliced bread when I got it but after several applications, I'm not convinced it is a worthwhile shortcut to achieving the perfect finish, we all crave :angry

Attachments

• DSCN0234.JPG
    DSCN0234.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • DSCN0234.JPG
    DSCN0234.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
If anyone's interested, I'm happy to make the STL files available that I modified/used for my various projects...although I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that. I guess through 4shared or summat?

Nice work!
I'm surely interested in files, I think better way to upload it on sum 4shared and in some maybe password archive to prevent just click and download, and for password people always can just ask you.

Not sure I can handle passwords etc. I was hoping to just put up a link to download the files I've been working with. like...
!cid_A8BB18B6B6944B96BBA6DAFECBEA2CA2@grahamHP.png!cid_80F6A3EF0080425FA69060F004E9CA51@grahamHP.png
The MK45 helmet. As I said I do not own these files I am just trying to share them in the spirit of the community. If
I'm stepping on anybody's toes, please let me know. I will try with 4shared next...

Not sure I can handle passwords etc. I was hoping to just put up a link to download the files I've been working with. like...

The MK45 helmet. As I said I do not own these files I am just trying to share them in the spirit of the community. If
I'm stepping on anybody's toes, please let me know. I will try with 4shared next...

I'm okay with you sharing the file, just give me a little heads up next time, okay? Well not just me, anyone's model that you use. I know I said in my thread that anyone can do whatever they want with my files, but I also said to give some credit where it's due... This should go for all of the other modelers that you used files from. Like I said, it's cool if you share it, and I'm sure it would be for the other helmets too, just ask the modelers if they're okay with it as well.

Hey Middlefinger, thanks for your comment...yeah course, credit where credit's due man. thank you, and thanks to all who post so selflessly on here. I am genuinely thrilled and awestruck by the quality of what is shared. Most of the files I have used are PEP files modified for 3d printing and I've browsed so many that I'm not entirely sure whose files they were in the first place. Your work is awesome, as is Dancin' Fool's, Jmcustoms, Helagaks etc. All the big players/artisits on here are giving us so much material to play with, it is truly inspiring. If anyone does not want me to use their files then I'm happy to keep them for personal use only. Anyway I don't claim they are in the same league as Kenlandrum or Zabana etc...just good enough for me to get a model to work with :unsure

OK. so I think I have been able to upload the MK45 STL files to 4 shared...here is the link. Hope it works :confused
https://www.4shared.com/file/g8VFbwMlce/IRON_MAN_MK45.html

Ok it didn't work, but now it does! :facepalm

Am going for this one next
!cid_466541DFAA4C4ED7989CF026A9968698@grahamHP.png!cid_0C34FD76B8C84F3C9238C84C0CF51F13@grahamHP.png

EXTREMIS V1
https://www.4shared.com/file/YqbwvvUaba/IRON_MAN_EXTREMIS_V1.html
Obviously, these models are too big to print in one piece on anything but a giant printer, so I have split them up into either helmet parts or just 4 quarters to then re-assemble afterwards. I found that because of the blasted warping I get from ABS I found the individual helmet parts did not align enough. So I mostly went for the 4 quarters option. I have the separate STL files for those if anyone wants them

Last edited:
So credit goes to Robo3687 via JFcustoms for the original pep file. I have separated the various components of the helmet for printing but the main head part may need splitting again, depending on your printer...let me know if you need the split stl parts
!cid_DD7FB54ED49E4EE599E54D34D854E73C@grahamHP.png!cid_743FAEE2A008430988F9412EEC32ED40@grahamHP.png!cid_D9669DE270EE471593C139C97E756178@grahamHP.png!cid_BD95E3CE619146F5A17836BD44E6ACB3@grahamHP.png!cid_B410590A4CE3486AB1EF2E7533A76257@grahamHP.png!cid_10E3C512B8324C0AABE455E25A80BE4D@grahamHP.png

https://www.4shared.com/file/pzWfSSy2ba/WAR_MACHINE_FACEPLATE.html
https://www.4shared.com/file/ztS-1ULyce/WAR_MACHINE_HEAD.html
https://www.4shared.com/file/gCFztvmace/WAR_MACHINE_NECK.html
https://www.4shared.com/file/WQxBc187ba/WAR_MACHINE_JAW.html
https://www.4shared.com/file/5pQbKAwuba/WAR_MACHINE_CREST.html

Last edited:
A bit more progress on MK45, IRON PATRIOT and WAR MACHINE...but there is still terabytes of sanding to do!
JUNE 2015 021.jpgJUNE 2015 022.jpgJUNE 2015 024.jpgJUNE 2015 023.jpgJUNE 2015 026.jpgJUNE 2015 028.jpg

I just used XTC smooth on for the first time. While it isn't the savior that it totes itself to be, it did a decent enough job on the parts that I used it on. I used that, a filler/primer spray, then 3 coats of good old rattle-can paint. I'll try to get some pictures up of the parts I didnt use it on vs the ones that I did. Honestly, it's almost unnoticeable. I think if I printed in a finer resolution (.01 instead of .03) it would make a different. I've also found the orientation of the part makes a different when trying to paint without using a filler. I try to print everything vertically.

Have you come up with any decent use for the raft/support material? I have been saving it and using it as build up material when I'm welding the parts together, otherwise I feel like I lose 1/4 of the spools to the scrap bin.

Hey ubcs86, Yeah, I think XTC is ok for small objects that are finely printed but it's pretty pricey stuff and therefore too expensive to think about doing a whole suit. I also experimented with various other products including Acetone, Polyester Resin, urethane and PVA, or mixtures thereof. None were as good as XTC but It's not the perfect 'shell' I am looking for. If anyone has any nifty 3d post processing tips, I'm all ears!

What u mean printing vertically? I found that some parts are so awkward that you really don't have much choice...

I generally print mine at .25 to get a faster print and accept that there will inevitably be endless finishing to do

As far as support material/failed prints goes...I hang on to all mine...there are some interesting new recycling extruders on the market that claim to be able to produce good filament but I think it's too early to go spending serious cashish on a machine just yet. And it's only a matter of time before a clear, affordable market leader emerges

As for printing vertically, when I was printing hand covers, I had them oriented vertically on the table so it buildings from the table up to the finish height. I printed an insert for the forearm flat on the table, so it was printing horizontally in circles to build up the layers. The difference in the appearance, even though both were printed at .3, was huge. The horizontal orientation you could clearly see the layers, whereas the vertical blended in a bit more.

I was thinking about crushing all of it as best I can, melting it down into slugs that can be run through a high-temp glue gun to make assembly less awkward. The temp on any standard 'high temp' glue gun is still a bit on the low end, but it will get the PLA to a point where it can be pushed through. Melting the pieces together has been the best method I could come up with for assembly, glues take too long and I've had mixed experiences with super glue type quick sets. Plus with the heat introduced to the parts it makes matching the pieces up a little bit easier with the warping you were talking about earlier. It does, however, make for extra sanding and filling if too much heat collapses the internal supports.

With the inevitability of using bondo or any other filler, do you think cranking the resolution up to a .4 would speed things up and give more grip to the bondo on parts that don't have any minor details to be preserved?

View attachment 490168View attachment 490169
Hi how would you split the mk 45 helmet to 3d print it thanks ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

With the inevitability of using bondo or any other filler, do you think cranking the resolution up to a .4 would speed things up and give more grip to the bondo on parts that don't have any minor details to be preserved?[/QUOTE]

Quick question...how do I paste a question onto my reply?

My printer won't go above .32 without moaning about bad prints so not sure that's gonna work. Printing at .25 gives enough detail and I always cover the whole surface after bondo/rondo stage with a fine surface filler

Thanks for the files will i have to scale these or just print the sections thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back