IRON GIANT heart & soul "BOLT"

Zaphod

Sr Member
irongiantpage.jpg

This was something that I wanted to do years ago, and never got around too.

Found this on the Robot Hut website. This guy has built and collected some amazing things.

I always wanted one of those too. I think of that eveytime I watch this movie with my Son. Which is like every other week.

He is a wonderful builder and if he does not want to supply plans that is totally up to him. Of course if someone really wants to build one the photo does provide some good idea's.

The thread on the bolt looks like some kind of plastic pipe.

The rounded portion on the top looks kinda easy to make. Find a ball shape cut it in half and sculpt out the details and cast it.

The battery container looks like a simple tube or even might be part of a flashlight. Just wire up some lights.

Slap a sound chip in there with that ping sound and your golden.

Originally posted by tekmage3000@Feb 13 2006, 01:44 PM
He is a wonderful builder and if he does not want to supply plans that is totally up to him.

I totally agree. Was just kinda hopefull that he might sell/share.

I think the threaded area and neck look like one of the old containers that held craft-type paint. I remember the accordion-like function from when I was a kid.

E. Vader

I always wanted on eof these. This one pictured is a bit rough though. I think it would be a nice piece in metal to do. You could pop in the electronics with an offset swing arm on a motor on the inside to give it a rolling effect as well.

To the hand size, its just about right. It fill the whole hand in the movie and when it was on the night stand, it appeared a bit larger.

Originally posted by eddie vader@Feb 13 2006, 10:54 PM
I think the threaded area and neck look like one of the old containers that held craft-type paint.  I remember the accordion-like function from when I was a kid. 

E. Vader
[snapback]1183560[/snapback]​

Oh yeah I remember them. Hmm.. could be.

Will do. I've always wanted one so I have a buddy of mine that's a machinist who's helping with this. We are planning to create the master from PVC. It would be able to accommodate the electronics as well. As I get pieces completed, I'll post the pics. :)

I have made drawing for him to go by, however, if anyone would like contribute anything they've done to make sure we have this as accurate as possible, please feel free to post or PM with details. I'll post my plans soon.

-B89. :D

I had a question for those more electronically savvy than myself...

In doing my layout for this, I was sizing the bolt to accommodate AA batteries but it just looks too big to me. I've compared movie reference and think it's smaller than the one that the guy has built. My question is, could the lights and "ping" sound be powered by 2 to 3 AAA's instead?

I'm not an expert, but AA's & AAA's are all 1.5 volts each, so the only difference between the two would be that the AAA's would need to be replaced more frequently.

True "experts" feel free to shoot down everything I just said. I am wrong sometimes imo. :D

If you're talking about blinking lights and some sound, then even button cells could accommodate that. You'd probably have some volume issues, but it's still possible

I've got an LED that can only be powered by two AAs or a 9volt, and then right next to it I've got a board with four LEDs and a speaker that's powered by two LR44's. I'm sure you can fit the set-up into whatever size bolt you make

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to go with the AAA's as those would be easier for me to work with and we could keep all the electronics, (with the batteries), in the cap. I'll try to get the layout for the bolt with the final sized posted for review tomorrow.

Anyone want to volunteer to help rig up the sound and lights? ;)

Here's the side view layout I have thus far. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions. :) The overall length is 6" which looks more like the correct size when Hogarth is holding it.

IGBoltLayout_1.jpg

(Thanks WC for hosting.)

*EDIT* Made a few adjustments including the one noted below. ;)

Thanks.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back