IRON GIANT heart & soul "BOLT"

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Zaphod, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was something that I wanted to do years ago, and never got around too.

Found this on the Robot Hut website. This guy has built and collected some amazing things.

2. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

I always wanted one of those too. I think of that eveytime I watch this movie with my Son. Which is like every other week.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Well...I wrote to him. He's not parting with his plans for this, neither does he have kits available.

4. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

He is a wonderful builder and if he does not want to supply plans that is totally up to him. Of course if someone really wants to build one the photo does provide some good idea's.

The thread on the bolt looks like some kind of plastic pipe.

The rounded portion on the top looks kinda easy to make. Find a ball shape cut it in half and sculpt out the details and cast it.

The battery container looks like a simple tube or even might be part of a flashlight. Just wire up some lights.

Slap a sound chip in there with that ping sound and your golden.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Was just kinda hopefull that he might sell/share.

6. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

aw man thats awsome i want one :(

7. eddie vader

eddie vader New Member

I think the threaded area and neck look like one of the old containers that held craft-type paint. I remember the accordion-like function from when I was a kid.

E. Vader

8. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I always wanted on eof these. This one pictured is a bit rough though. I think it would be a nice piece in metal to do. You could pop in the electronics with an offset swing arm on a motor on the inside to give it a rolling effect as well.

9. PropReplicator

PropReplicator Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Isn't that a bit big? In the film it it in a box much smaller than the size of that replica.

W.

10. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To the hand size, its just about right. It fill the whole hand in the movie and when it was on the night stand, it appeared a bit larger.

11. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Oh yeah I remember them. Hmm.. could be.

12. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm working on it... ;)

-B89. :D

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Please post progress pics.

14. Beeb89

Will do. I've always wanted one so I have a buddy of mine that's a machinist who's helping with this. We are planning to create the master from PVC. It would be able to accommodate the electronics as well. As I get pieces completed, I'll post the pics. :)

I have made drawing for him to go by, however, if anyone would like contribute anything they've done to make sure we have this as accurate as possible, please feel free to post or PM with details. I'll post my plans soon.

15. Beeb89

I had a question for those more electronically savvy than myself...

In doing my layout for this, I was sizing the bolt to accommodate AA batteries but it just looks too big to me. I've compared movie reference and think it's smaller than the one that the guy has built. My question is, could the lights and "ping" sound be powered by 2 to 3 AAA's instead?

16. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not an expert, but AA's & AAA's are all 1.5 volts each, so the only difference between the two would be that the AAA's would need to be replaced more frequently.

True "experts" feel free to shoot down everything I just said. I am wrong sometimes imo. :D

17. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

If you're talking about blinking lights and some sound, then even button cells could accommodate that. You'd probably have some volume issues, but it's still possible

I've got an LED that can only be powered by two AAs or a 9volt, and then right next to it I've got a board with four LEDs and a speaker that's powered by two LR44's. I'm sure you can fit the set-up into whatever size bolt you make

18. Beeb89

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to go with the AAA's as those would be easier for me to work with and we could keep all the electronics, (with the batteries), in the cap. I'll try to get the layout for the bolt with the final sized posted for review tomorrow.

Anyone want to volunteer to help rig up the sound and lights? ;)

19. Beeb89

Here's the side view layout I have thus far. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions. :) The overall length is 6" which looks more like the correct size when Hogarth is holding it.

[​IMG]
    (Thanks WC for hosting.)

*EDIT* Made a few adjustments including the one noted below. ;)

Thanks.

20. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

There looks to be some additional detailing between the main light and the two top ones... is that just a wire?

21. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Lookin good.

22. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I do believe tho', that the inside of the threads should line up. Otherwise, that screw just ain't goin' in... :)

23. Beeb89

See?? That's the very reason I like running stuff like this past others. They catch what I miss. ;)

Does this look better?
    [​IMG]
    (Thanks WC for hostiing.)

24. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

The first thread (the partial one) still needs to have the same depth in the groove as the rest of the threads.

25. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Well-Known Member

My .02

The cap top needs to be round you have drawn it oval (should come straight down).

All threads should be symmetrical (same height and depth).

The first thread needs to start a little higher, and be a little shorter to start lining up roughly with the cone.

The threads should be symmetrical (each side equal to the other), yours appear to lean toward the head.

Is there a better more direct shot to reference?

[attachmentid=6648]

26. Beeb89

Thanks for the input, guys. I will be the first to admit that I'm no draftsman, but I'm trying. ;)

With all the comments in mind, here's the revised bolt...
    [​IMG]
    (Thanks WC.)

*EDIT* Reworked the threads a little more.

Let me know if this is closer.

Thanks.

27. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the accordion portion of one of those cheap air mattress foot pumps.

28. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

What about the colour pattern (not the blue grey vs grey), you appear to be following the light/dark of that other replica, when the screen cap is the opposite? Do other shots from the movie show it that way?

29. Beeb89

Mainly I have to colors as they are to make it easier to "read" in the artwork stage. Once the final prop is made, I plan to match the one in the movie as close as possible. :)

30. Gman666

Gman666 Well-Known Member

I think this is great. Please put me donw as very interested.

Greg

31. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Wow. This is progressing rapidly.

Nice work gentlemen.

32. justice91423

justice91423 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did anything ever come of this?

33. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

well after almost 6 years Id say no.