Ion Cannon

Done!
CBC62F26-9235-43ED-9A91-1D25EA5A5FD7.jpeg
48E52B31-7570-473B-AC43-E3F4AD2668E5.jpeg

That's really beautiful! I don;t envy you navigating the fitting and cutting of all those curved-surface styrene panels, but the end result with all the nibbler bits taken out and all the chips applied is just fantastic!

Dan

When I worked in the Architectural Industry, it was an unspoken rule to stay away from curves, spheres, globes because of the diificulty and horrendous cost of the work. I can imagine the effort that’s gone into this and wow, did it turn out great. Impressive work, Sir.

I Saw on your youtube vid that you mentioned casting this up (not you personally) and am excited to see it as a greeblie pack - it will be a sure buy for me :) Thanks for busting your butt figuring it out - its been a few years stewing on the back burner and I'm glad you decided to let us take a crack at it after you did all the hard research work on it... Thanks Man!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Super work Jason. Well done!

Such a small but very cool part of Empire.

I very much look forward to seeing what contraption Maruska arrives at for your internal mechanism.

^^ That would be crazy...but I like the idea already!!
Now here is the thing…if you can get lots of those Abenics rollers in my post #79 in a hemisphere, they could rotate this Ion cannon. Maybe air cushion depression?

For an avalanche or pyroclastic flow, fuller’s earth or lycopodium dust forced into water will make great roiling plumes with no need of CGI.

I probably don't need to say this, but I will just in case.

I would be cautious of using Spray 77 to achieve the original look using Baking Soda or Microballons. I suspect the Spray 77 is the main suspect causing the weird reaction that you observed on the painted surface of original at LF.

The glue generally has excellent properties, however in my experience I have see it do some weird things with resin systems. Paint is probably no different.

That said, I guess if you are going for that ultra authentic approach then maybe you do.

Just beware...

I understand your pain Jason; always difficult to reproduce greeblies/details looking at a screen cap. Light has a tendency to elongate some details (paneling and others) and what you thought was a quarter inch on the pic is actually way less because of the long shadow created by the lighting.:devil:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back