Introducing Jorena Varas

yakcam

Sr Member
Well, I'd like to introduce my 10 yo Daughter, Kristy, as Jorena Varas (Mandalorian Commando).

It all started with this thread....

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=11404

Considering the search function and all the wealth of infromation on the TDH, we pulled together a custom Mandalorian suit for my daughter. Please understand that this was a hardware, toy store and cheap eBay effort, so I know that she doesn't represent to a tee a known Mandalorian. She's still got the skirt to go, we just need to find a purple to match her helmet and armour. I was going to go with a Teras Kasi master armour type thing (see SWG) but I liked the look of a cartoon pic I saw recently (I don't want to re-post it as it's not my image to use).

Anyway, without further ado, here's Jorina (in all of her 4ft 10 glory in costume)....

Jorina.jpg

Jorina-3.jpg

Jorina-4.jpg

I hope you like what you see :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Edited because I'm an idiot.

NEW PICS.....

Well here's some pics we took this afternoon.....

On our way to the location...

On-our-way2.jpg

Picked up some local wildlife along the way....

On-our-way.jpg

Turns out that she's a good lookout....

Wildlife.jpg

They must be around here somewhere....

Waiting.jpg

WOAH...

Dodge.jpg

Payback time.....

Hold-it.jpg

Ok, now that's taken care of, time to wander Tatooine.....

Twin-suns.jpg

Phew it's hot here.....

Tatooine-Helmet-off.jpg

That's all folks, please forgive a proud Dad, I had to post them :$

Cheers,

Kraig

Thanks for all of your kind comments :)

It was a budget build, but it turned out pretty well. I had to think of comfort as well as functionality she will be wearing it when we do unofficial events/troops. She's got a couple of nice ball raced fans in her helmet and the belt holds her audio. With all the flashing LED's she has, I told her that we weren't going to get a Christmas tree this year, she's got to stand in the corner and we'll decorate her with tinsel. :lol

Well, total build cost (unless I've forgotten something) was $337.57 ($443.10 AUD)

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers,

Kraig

Here's a few itemised pics, I hope you enjoy them.

Since Jorina was to spend a bit of time in her suit, cooling had to be installed......

fans.jpg

I did the small bits of foam as opposed to a large one, with the theory that it will help with the movement of air around her head.

Gauntlets......

The left one has bits added from things around the house and the buttons at the side are square anti slip pads that are used on the bottom of chairs etc. I've painted them with Mandalorian letters, R (ready missile), P (preignition) I (ignition) F (fire) L (left) R (right) for guidance. The LED's are turned on and off with the opposing switches.

L-gaunt2.jpg

L-gaunt.jpg

Oh and if you're wondering what the missile is, this might help....

puzzle.jpg

The right gaunt was much simpler, I found the push button in a junk drawer and the little red missiles are the heads of rivets, not very high tech, but they look ok...

R-gaunt.jpg

The blaster is a mix of things, the barrel and sight are from a cheap temporary car port we bought for my daughters birthday last year, that ended blowing over and disintegrating, I kept a few bits off it thinking to myself "Hmmmm, they might come in handy one day" and I was right for once. The eyepiece is the end of a barrel from a cheap pirate's pistol we bought at a $2 shop.

Considering it's E11esque appearance with the butt, trigger, finger guard and it's length from the butt to the end of the barrel is exactly the same length as my E11, I've called it the E7 and earlier BlasTech model, this is a before and after pic....

Blaster.jpg

I had to sand off all the powder coating, after I painted it I sanded a bit off and put it in some water to promote rust for an old look. It's a simple blaster, but it does Jorina well.

The jetpack was an adventure, it's made out of polystyrene sheeting,balls and cones from a craft shop, postal tubes and the jet nozzles are medicine cups. We paper mached the lot, primed it then glassed over that. I learned one thing making this...... I SUCK at fiberglassing, the amount of highfill primer I had to use to get it remotely smooth was insane......

Jetpack.jpg

The Mandalorian text on the tanks say... Left " Premium Fuel Only" I was going to use unleaded, but premium looked cooler. On the right is JV for Jorina Varas. The LED is a giant flashing one, the battery and switch are located in the bottom of the missile tube.

The harness is home made.....

Harness.jpg

The belt, was bought from a guy here in AUS for $40, it's a Swedish army bandolier. I didn't realise until a couple of days ago that it's the one they used for the Tusken's in the prequels. It houses Jorina's audio, I gutted a radio shack personal PA amp, one of those kidney shaped ones. I tried to add a voice changer and blew the speaker, so I went out and got the cheapest CB external speaker I could find. One day I'll upgrade the speaker with the one that comes with the RomFX....

Belt.jpg

Anyway, that's about it I think, thanks for looking and for all your compliments.

Now, back to working on Wendy's Zam and I've ordered a BKBT Jango for me, I can't help myself.

Cheers,

Thanks for putting up with me boasting about Jorina. We're both very proud of what we've pulled off.

Germandalorian Shepherd :lol that's priceless, I love it.

Thanks again folks.

Cheers,

Kraig

<div class='quotetop'>(Tambo Fett @ May 3 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]1237532[/snapback]</div>
nice job dad. I can't wait to build my little one a mando costume.
[/b]

no kidding, i woulda tried to wear it to school.

heres a cheers to one kick arse dad... :cheers

Thanks for being so supportive.

Here's a couple of pics from her first troop......

Birthday-surprise.jpg

Enter-Master.jpg

Well, thanks for letting a dad express his pride of his daughter.

I'll make this my last post as this must be boring to see it keep popping up.

Once again, thanks, we really do appreciate all of your kind posts in this thread :) .

Cheers,

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back