International movie releases before U.S.

Darkturbo04

Does anyone know why Battleship and The Avengers have been released outside of the U.S. weeks before us Yankees get to see them?

Its just makes it easier for bootleg/pirated copies to make an appearance on the Internet right?

No matter where the film is out first it is just as easy for it to be bootlegged. I for one in living in the UK think it's great the films out now normally we have to wait.

I'll take a stab at it.

Maybe it's a sort of hype gin. These type of action movies typically do great box office internationally whether it is a good movie or not. They can take the huge box office numbers to gin up the hype machine to get the domestic audience stirred up by saying, hey look here, this movie did X$ it has to be good -- go see it! Yes we (the general we) fall for it for the most part.

My two coppers worth anyway.

Doug

Simple economics. The world wide gross is larger than the US gross. Movies are no longer made just for US audiences (this, I would argue, has led to a serious "dumbing down" of films which in turn has led to lower quality films).

Maybe they can get more money for the rentals that way.

Or, if the movie has problems it could be 'saved' for the US version.

i could reverse the question for most movies... be happy that the us usually gets it first, i had to wait for 5 months for the muppets release

It's definitely not the piracy/bootleg issue, because pretty much every bootleg movie originates in Europe anyway, not the U.S.

I can kind of see them doing it on films that they're not 100% sure about.. if it does well in Europe, they'll push the release in the U.S.. But I don't see that being an issue with The Avengers.

What gets me about some of the releases are the really early ones.. where it's out in Europe six or eight months before the U.S. release. Taken was like that.. you could actually get a DVD rip of the movie online before it even hit theaters over here.

Simple economics. The world wide gross is larger than the US gross. Movies are no longer made just for US audiences (this, I would argue, has led to a serious "dumbing down" of films which in turn has led to lower quality films).

So movie-goers outside the US are too dumb to appreciate films aimed solely at US audiences?

i think some people here should rethink their oppinions. dumbing down movies for europe is just plain offensive. also, i dont see why this is a problem, as its usually the other way around with releases, see my previous comment.

Reminds me of "Phantom Menace"... It was released in Germany in September 1999. EyeofSauron is right, usually the U.S. have the opportunity to see most movies before the rest of the world can. In my opinion there is no reason to anger about 2-4 movies a year which are released a few days earlier in another part of the world.

Who said anything about Europe? The second largest market for films is now China (previously, it was Japan).

Let me put it this way. Was Pirates 4 the best of the series?

Perhaps "dumbing down" wasn't the right phrase to use. Rather, simplification. Plot details that rely on certain cultural understandings are bound to be eliminated. But everyone understands the simple dichotomy between good and evil. It's all about target demographics. In the US, the big demographic is 18-34, but in Japan, the market is largely middle aged women. Now extrapolate the difference in demographics between the US, Japan, China, Europe, Australia, etc, etc, etc, etc. You have to cast wider net. And in doing so, you inevitably have to aim for the lowest common denominator.

I'm really surprised that this isn't a prima facie case to you folks.

Because it's already a topic in academic circles and the like, e.g.:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic152447.files/rosen_Hollywood.pdf

Who said anything about Europe?

International is everywhere outside the U.S. from your point of view isn't it?

Let me put it this way. Was Pirates 4 the best of the series?
How often is the 4th instalment of a series of films any good....not often!

Perhaps "dumbing down" wasn't the right phrase to use. Rather, simplification.
Different word, same implication. Sounds as if you implying that the rest of the world wouldn't understand the plot if the film was made with an all American audience in mind, so the plot is simplified therefor diminishing quality in order to generate more profit.

:unsure

Anyway, I'm still going to enjoy Prometheus when it comes out over here on the 1st....MWAHAHAHAH! even if it is simplified for my benefit :D

Last edited:
The only one where there was an obvious reason that I can think of is the Bond franchise where traditionally the UK gets it a week before the US.

For Avengers it may be something to do with the way various school holidays and public holidays fall here or in the US affecting when this was scheduled, in both countries.

It's awesome BTW. No one mentions it's over 2 hours long as it FLIES by.

Let Joss do his take on Wonder Woman!

International is everywhere outside the U.S. from your point of view isn't it?

You must be acting intentionally obtuse. Let's review the responses to my initial comment:
I really don't think that the creators of Jersey Shore said 'We'll kill in the European markets with this!'. The masses who make shows like that popular are the reason that movies have been dumbed down. Not Europe. :rolleyes
i think some people here should rethink their oppinions. dumbing down movies for europe is just plain offensive. also, i dont see why this is a problem, as its usually the other way around with releases, see my previous comment.

Now, where in the OP did it specify Europe? Where in my post did I specify Europe?

Neither the OP, nor my initial response singled out Europe. Therefore the two responses which talk about Europe are either red herrings, or straw man fallacies.

Hence my response "who said anything about Europe?" As my second post made clear, it's actually not about Europe and really more about Asia than anything else.

If anything, European films are being dumbed down for American audiences. See, for example, Luc Besson's Taxi series in France, and the American reboot with Jimmy Fallon and Queen Latifah.

Different word, same implication. Sounds as if you implying that the rest of the world wouldn't understand the plot if the film was made with an all American audience in mind, so the plot is simplified therefor diminishing quality in order to generate more profit.

:unsure

No, I am implying exactly what I said in my second post.

Films now routinely gross more outside the US than they do inside the US. Look at this from a strictly economic point of view. If you're marketing a product to one country, you have to find a profitable demographic in that country. But if you're marketing a product globally, you have to find a profitable demographic in many countries, with different cultural sensitivities, different cultural understandings, and different meanings.

Look, it's easy for you to cut out the first sentence of my explanation and put in a some counter argument, but you're not actually dealing with what my argument is. And the argument I'm making is not really all that controversial, and intuitive in terms of economics.

If the largest segment of movie goers in Japan are middle aged women, and the largest segment of movie goers in the US are young adults 18-34, if you're making a big budget Hollywood film, you're really going to sit there and say that you're not going to find a common denominator between those two groups?

Now extrapolate that to every other country that the film is going to be seen in.

And look at the movies that are grossing huge overseas. It's the big budget blockbuster films. Avengers, Avatar, Harry Potter, etc, etc, etc. It's not The Tree of Life (voted best film by Sight & Sound for 2011). Heck, it's not even The Artist. Now look, I like explosions and fun films as much as the next guy, but I'm also not going to say that they are qualitatively equivalent to the artistic value found in any number of films that don't gross a bazillion dollars.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back