1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Interest Interest in a Crystal Blue Tesserat Cube ** Pictures now posted

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by tripoli, Apr 15, 2015.

1. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found a source for a optical blue crystal cubes. I was looking for one that measure 2 3/4 inches, the size of the cube for the Marvel Bluray Phase one collectors set case. I am not looking to make any profit on these, trying to keep it as inexpensive as I can for anyone interested in them. I am not a fan of the plastic cube included in the set and this would be a cool way to upgrade the set and have it glowing and looking much more like the prop. This is solely an interest thread, if there is enough interest, I would go ahead and place the order for those looking to upgrade the collectors set as a display piece. It looks like I can keep the cost around $ 50 per cube plus shipping. If I can lower the cost on that, I will.

This is the 2.75 inch collectors set sized cube.
    Update 5/5: on the color: I have been sent a picture of the lighter blue and have to agree that a larger surface area greys out the color, especially with light going through.
    Given the lack of interest in the larger cube as well the shipping cost and issues, I will at this point stick to just the collectors series size with the current blue coloring.

Images posted here if you don't see them below:
    http://postimg.org/gallery/shoqot7c/4227c083/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interest in Collectors set piece: 11

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. tripoli

Re: Interest in a Crystal Blue Cube that fits the Marvel Phase One Bluray collectors

Looks like the cost for these will run less than $ 50.00 per cube with postage at this point. Hoping to keep it as low as $ 35 to $ 40 per cube. I have a sample on the way and will post more when possible.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Interest in a Crystal Blue Cube that fits the Marvel Phase One Bluray collectors

I am not educated about the sizing of the phase 1 collector's set Tesseract -- is it the same size as the prop? If so I would be in for one of these even though I don't have the blu-ray set :)

4. RobI

RobI Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have the bluray set and you are right, the Tesseract leaves something to be desired. It would be cool to get a nice replacement so long as it isn't too expensive.

5. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The collector's set is undersized compared to the actual prop, which was 3.75"

6. RobI

I haven't looked at the set in quite some time. Frankly, I don't even know where it is... What is the size difference between the set and screen used?

7. tripoli

The Bluray cube size is 2.75 inches. The actual cube was 3.75 inches. I was looking at the collectors set size as there have been a few regular size clear crystals done and nothing for the set which includes the briefcase with lights.
    The Bluray case the best inexpensive prop replica compared to the real prop as the Rinowa case which alone cost about $ 750 to purchase not to mention the additional work needed. The Bluray case has a cheap plastic cube which look bad against what is other wise a very nice display piece.
    If there was enough interest, I can look into producing the actual 3.75 size blue Crystal cube as well.

8. Kevin Gossett

Are you doing blue so it will light up blue?

9. tripoli

Since the crystal is blue in the movie, I wanted to do so with this piece. a white light or blue light should give it the same cast as the movie by doing so.
    The Hot Toys Fury figure had a miniature brief case with a blue crystal as well and it looked better than a clear piece. With the larger prop, I was looking to do the same thing with this piece.
    The crystal itself is a blue crystal, not coated, it's a nice quality piece that I have found to be very expensive with most distributors here in the US. Clear optical cubes cost about 75 dollars and blue crystal is excessively expensive in the domestic market. I did the same thing Chris Hydin has done, found a Chinese company that could make them inexpensively. I had hoped there would be enough interest here for a properly shaped straight cut optical quality blue cube to go ahead with this project.

10. Kevin Gossett

Apologies, I had in my mind the TFA cubes, which were clear or swirled resin. Interested in both sizes

11. tripoli

OK, I will look at both the screen prop size and the collectors set size.

E Williams likes this.
  12. tripoli

Re: Interest in a Crystal Blue Tesserat Cube

Bump for the weekend.

13. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi, Also interested in both sizes as I have both the Marvel set and a proper size Rimowa case to convert at some stage.

14. ataru72ita

ataru72ita Well-Known Member

Interested in the real prop size!

Regards,

Alberto

15. tripoli

First sample piece should arrive here by Wednesday. I will post and then start a list for orders. If it is enough, i will go ahead and collect a down payment, place the order and the turn around would be about 3 weeks. The only question is the cost based on how many cubes are ordered. Still looking to keep the cost below $ 50 for them if at all possible. I will post a picture as soon as it arrives.

16. tripoli

The sample cube has arrived. I think it's a vast improvement over the plastic cube. :)

17. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The picture links in the first post don't seem to be working.

18. tripoli

ataru72ita likes this.
  19. Kevin Gossett

Any chance of getting it a lighter blue?

20. tripoli

I can check on a lighter colored blue crystal.

21. RobI

Looks nice. If I were to get one it would be to replace the cheap collector's set cube. I highly doubt I will ever do the Rinowa case route given the cost and work involved, so a random, albeit properly sized, blue cube would just look kind of funny (to me) without context.

22. tripoli

That's it for me, this looks awesome with a crystal cube in it. The real cases cost 500 to 600 used and 750 new. This is a great display piece like this, happy to have it out on display like this now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  23. RobI

All your pictures are still blank X's but I took the liberty of doing the computer guy thing. Hope you don't mind.

[​IMG]

Yarooon likes this.
  24. ataru72ita

ataru72ita Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Blu ray collector's so I'll definitely need the collector's box edition size as well, is it possible?

Regards,

Alberto

25. tripoli

"All your pictures are still blank X's but I took the liberty of doing the computer guy thing. Hope you don't mind."

No Not at all.

"Just ordered the Blu ray collector's so I'll definitely need the collector's box edition size as well, is it possible?"

Thats where I thought the most interest would be but so far, no too many as i thought would be. I will give it another week and see if there is enough interest to make a run.

26. StarWarrior

StarWarrior Active Member

I am interested in 2 of the collector's box edition. My son has the case as well and it would be a great surprise for him!

27. Refjim8

Refjim8 Jr Member

Interested in both sizes, thanks.

28. RobI

I think if you could fix the pictures in the first post you'd get a lot more interest...

29. Trekcollector

Trekcollector Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am interested in one for the dvd case also.

30. misfit138

misfit138 New Member

Interested in a collector's set sized cube.

31. Matt009

Matt009 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am definitely interested in the 3.75" version. Can't wait to see it.

32. Matt009

Matt009 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just looked at all the pics. Is there any word on a lighter (somewhat sky blue) blue? The current color seems way to dark.

33. Jediguy

Jediguy Well-Known Member

Interested in 1 of both sizes please (bluray set and full size prop)

34. tripoli

I chose that color as it was the only available listed at the moment and it matched up to the coloring of the lights in the display case. I have been e-mailed back that they can do a lighter blue, each sample is $ 75 for me so been debating if it is worth getting the second sample or not, especially with the limited interest here so far. So waiting to see through this week of the Ultron movie spurs on interest in this to go ahead with.

35. macskl69

macskl69 New Member

Im so interested in the collectors size!!

36. Kevin Gossett

I'm definitely in for the lighter color.

37. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just stepping in for a moment since I've been doing this stuff for a long time.

Light blue looks cool when the piece is faceted, but without any strong light or any strong facets, it's going to look like a pale grey color.

The dark blue color is pretty awesome though. This is a beautiful piece man!

I've been uploading some videos to youtube showing off stuff, and this particular video shows off the good and bad of a light blue color : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHQKklp68k

There's also another video with some arrowheads in light blue as well.

Looking cool man, just have em pack em REALLY well when they ship em to ya. When I got my order in for the clear ones I did a couple years ago I had 2 or 3 that had busted corners even though they were in a small box within another box. Ask em to bubble wrap each one separate. It might cost a buck or two extra but it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

Chris

38. Kevin Gossett

I didn't see any negatives with that blue color. The case these will sit in have bright blue LEDs built in, so the cube will be illuminated. I'll defer to your expertise though, if you think the lighter blue won't work

39. tripoli

I have been sent a picture of the lighter blue and have to agree that a larger surface area greys out the color, especially with light going through.
    Given the lack of interest in the larger cube as well the shipping cost and issues, I will at this point stick to just the collectors series size with the current blue coloring.

"Looking cool man, just have em pack em REALLY well when they ship em to ya."
    Yep insured and packed well. Shipping cost as much as the cubes themselves from China. Add in the domestic shipping and shipping is the primary overall cost for these.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  40. Johnnyfl

Still interested in both sizes if you decide to go with the prop size as well. Would also be interested in seeing the lighter blue version if possible or a link to where I might see it.

41. made007

made007 Sr Member

Put me in the list, for the accurate size one, i missed the runs when the first came out so yhis is my opportunity, let me know, thanks

42. tripoli

As I noted just above and the first post, at this point I am looking to only do the collectors cases sized cube, the 2.75 inch cubes.

43. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't forget customs as well.

Sometimes stuff goes through like a dream, sometimes stuff costs an arm and a leg. It's weird.

Glad to see the project is rolling along though!

Chris

44. choanata

choanata New Member

If you change your mind about full size, I'm interested in one of them.

45. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I'm interested in the full size one, but if you're only doing the undersized one, I'd still like one :thumbsup

46. tripoli

Given the low numbers of interest, I have decided not to go with this project. The numbers I needed to get a decent price on the cubes is not here.
    I will post the cube I do have up for sale along with my blu-ray set inthe next few days, if anyone is interested in it, feel free to give me a pm.

47. Johnnyfl

That is a shame, but I understand. Could anyone else run with this?

48. RobI

Forgive the slight hijack. No disrespect intended!

I have been considering taking this up since this has really piqued my interest in making the Blu-ray set more visually appealing and 'correct.' However I'm sure Tripoli has exhaustively searched for a cost effective solution and I'd be reinventing the wheel. I'll give it a half-hearted look but no guarantees. Anyone else who wants to look as well please so. Basically don't hold your breath for me. I do want one for myself though. If it happens that I stumble across something that is appealing to other folks at a good price, I'll bring it up...

Johnnyfl likes this.
  49. saberlover

saberlover Well-Known Member

I'll pay $75 for a sample blue cube at the 3.75" size.