Innerspace "The Chip" Cufflinks?

Darth Brass

Sr Member
This Imperial Cog cufflink thing has fueled a fire I've had within me since I joined this place - has anyone ever tried the cufflinks from the end of the movie Innerspace?

I would fork over a pretty penny for a set of those. That movie...I guess it was just that right age; timing and all. Totally LOVE that movie.

So.

Who's gonna make 'em for me?

was thinking about it just the other day, came across a website that has computer chip cufflinks and got me thinking about it, and i could use another pair of cufflinks anyways

im sure we could get this project going, its essentially like a gear with a chip in the middle right? havnt watched the flick in awhile, but wouldnt seem overly hard to me,

Originally posted by mez7@Apr 1 2006, 10:56 AM
was thinking about it just the other day, came across a website that has computer chip cufflinks and got me thinking about it, and i could use another pair of cufflinks anyways

im sure we could get this project going, its essentially like a gear with a chip in the middle right? havnt watched the flick in awhile, but wouldnt seem overly hard to me,
[snapback]1217600[/snapback]​

I thought I had a DVD copy of Innerspace but apparently it got loaned out and never came back. I could probably laser cut these, but I need screen caps. may have to just got out and actually buy a copy of the movie...

Vegas Vader...

I remember uncommon goods has a set of circuitboard cufflinks but i don't remember what the ones in innerspace looks like

link

What your talking about sounds pretty simple to make. I've made jewelry from IC chips and other electronic odds and ends. I'm also constucting a 'Cityscape' from chips, Sort of like LEGO's. I've got 8 - 10 buildings - futuristic skyscrapers for the most part.

If you want something like what's shown in the above link, find a cheap cufflink for the base, either a plain circle/square/etc. or one with a removable piece set in a bezel. Find a nice piece of circuit board (if you've gotta ask where..) and cut out the shape, sand the edges smooth, glue it in place.

If you wanted a small IC chip, you could attach a cuff-link post directly to the back of any small chip.

Jay

What do they look like? Any Screengrabs out there? I might be able to help you locate some inexpensive plain cufflinks- I can get you a pair of polished white Base Metal cufflinks with 15mm round disk for around $5 a pair . I'm almost done with the Imperial logo run, once that is done, if you're still looking for a pair let me know.

Jeff

Originally posted by Deric@Apr 3 2006, 10:35 AM
I remember uncommon goods has a set of circuitboard cufflinks but i don't remember what the ones in innerspace looks like

link
[snapback]1218864[/snapback]​

not right at all, those are the ones i saw before, the ones in the movie have somewhat of a gear like object around the chip, as i recall,

Originally posted by mez7@Apr 4 2006, 04:39 PM
not right at all, those are the ones i saw before, the ones in the movie have somewhat of a gear like object around the chip, as i recall,
[snapback]1219907[/snapback]​

You're right. The ones in the film looked like red aluminum transistor heat sinks.

Dangit, I'm going to go out today and buy that stupid movie again....

Vegas Vader...

As Promised, I went out and got a copy. had to go to 3 different video places, and ended up at frys. Here's the BEST of the screen caps:

[attachmentid=7485][attachmentid=7484]

I do have MUCH larger screen caps of these, but this should more than do it. It looks like an old style round can IC minus the head in a split heatsink. They also seem to use a couple different ones as the inner can does not go more than halfway up the inside of the can in other shots...

Any comments/suggestions?

Vegas Vader

Please - I'm dying to have these made - can NO ONE do them?.

Let's start with the parts:

Cufflink base
Red "heat sink" - are these still available? Could they be machined?
Inside stuff - what is that? Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Darth Brass@Apr 11 2006, 12:25 AM
Inside stuff - what is that?  Any thoughts?

That "inside stuff" is a silicon wafer microcircuit. You will need to find an appropriate 10 pin TO can and cut the top off. Most will look similar.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back