Indy coming to Blu-Ray this fall

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by jcoffman99, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (February 29, 2012) – The man with the hat is back – and looking better than ever! The world’s favorite globe-trotting archaeologist is, at long last, embarking on his greatest adventure – when The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Media Distribution. The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection will be excavated in the fall of 2012 and will include all four of Indy’s thrilling adventures, using the highest possible high definition picture and audio presentation – along with a “best of” collection of documentaries, interviews, featurettes and a few new surprises.

2. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I hope they eventually sell them separate (only want Raiders).

Doug

3. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Ditto on the separate copies. I only recognize the existence of the first three.

Also, I advise folks to avoid pre-orders. Given how the recent Star Wars releases still have crappy color correction, audio issues, etc., I'm at least going to wait to see whether the technical job has been done properly before plunking down my cash.

4. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I'll be doing the same. I'll wait till after I've read a few online reviews and what not.

Still, I'd rather not pay money for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

5. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

And in 5 more years you'll be wanting them on 4K Media (discs?)

Here's more of my money, Steven & George.... :lol

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree on both points!

Thank you kind sir!

7. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Not for us soon to be geezers! :darnkids I think Bluray is the peak for us slipping into sight degeneration. We'll slowly start dusting off our DVD's then eventually revert back to VHS. Our only hope is direct to brain format.

Doug

8. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I heard that Lucas is replacing his whip with a walkie-talkie to be more P.C.

9. jcoffman99

I don't think we'll have to worry about the transfers. The JAWS Blu-Ray is reportedly beautiful. With these being Paramounts 100th year and Indy being a tentpole of the company, they'll do a good job.

10. Indys brother

Indys brother Active Member

Eh, I'm actually pretty stingy with my cash around George. THIS I will be there for though. There like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snowstorm.

Here's a link to the Blu-ray release trailer

11. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

That's a good point, although I think it depends on which company is doing the work, and whether there are "restoration" efforts being made. I'm just leery given how the Star Wars franchise has been handled from a technical perspective.

I know these films won't be digitally mucked with in terms of "Look! A cartoon monkey in Raiders now who not only does the sieg heil but also dances to Hello Ma Baby!"

It's more the "WTF?! You can literally SEE where the color filter they used shifts here! It's like night and day! And why the hell are the rear channels reversed?!" stuff that I worry about.

It may be nothing. They may do a fantastic job. I'm just saying I wouldn't give in to knee-jerk pre-order hoopla and hype, and would simply wait to make sure they did it up right. I'd look at the most critical sources -- especially the ones who blew the whistle on the Star Wars transfers, since they'll probably be especially vigilant on this one.

12. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And in Raiders the sword guy throws his sword at Indy before he shoots him.

For me all I want is Raiders & Crusade with the special features. Not particularly bothered about paying for the others though, both TOD and KOTCS had their moments even if I didn't really like the films.

13. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

I hope they fix the matte lines on that Messerschmidt...

14. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

This would be really nice if it were done well.

I recently watched my Collector's DVD of Last Crusade, and - not having seen it in a few years, and recently getting "into" picture and sound quality stuff more - I was shocked at how low quality it was. It looked and sounded awful.

These movies would be brilliant in high quality. Let's hope the folks who do the work know what the heck they're doing, unlike with Star Wars.

15. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

16. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

Only three posts in before derision of Crystal Skull began. Predictable as always.

17. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

No rush...I'll wait till it hits the sales.

18. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

FINALLY! Now where's JAWS, damnit!

19. jcoffman99

Speilberg has said he won't fix any of his films. He learned his lesson from ET. He wants them seen warts and all as a testament to the time in which they were made. :thumbsup

20. aeonpulse

Uh oh, somebody needs their diaper changed.

21. JD

JD Master Member

Yup, the people complaining about the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Some folks get their panties in a bunch over the silliest things...

I mean, c'mon... 'deny the existence' of a film? That's just baby talk. You don't like it? Fine... but deny its existence? WTF :confused

22. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

23. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Three points.

1.) Actually it was two posts. The post right above mine was in favor of individual disc releases. One can surmise, therefore, that the prior poster was also not a fan of KOTCS

2.) What the hell do you care, anyway, if I say I don't want to buy it? I've never seen the film. I've heard enough about it, though, to know that I don't want to see the film. Ever. Ergo, I simply don't recognize its existence. I can maintain this fiction by virtue of continuing to never see the film. If I don't want to SEE the film, I * sure don't want to PAY for it. Got a problem with that?

3.) If you DO have a problem with that, then might I suggest that...well...your problem doesn't stop there. If my stating that I don't want to purchase a film and choose to ignore its existence somehow shatters the transcendent happiness you felt only moments prior to reading my missive...then buddy, you got bigger problems.

Ok. I've explained this before. I'll explain it again, even though I suspect it doesn't matter, and you fall pretty much into the same camp as Shadow.

When I watch additional entries in a film series, be they sequels, prequels, side-stories, interquels, or whathaveyou, I experience the franchise largely as a whole. It's more difficult for me to separate the experience of one film from another. For me, sometimes not answering "And THEN what happened?" is better because I don't have to learn that what happened next was stuff that I don't enjoy for whatever reason.

For me, a bad later entry in a film franchise diminishes my enjoyment of the prior entry or entries. I've had this happen to me often enough to recognize that this is part of how I experience films in general. If I'm a big fan of the original material, then I don't WANT my enjoyment diminished.

I therefore choose to ignore the existence of the film. I haven't seen it. Given my druthers, I never will. You, apparently, experience film very differently from me. Maybe you're better able to isolate the experience of one film in a franchise from another. Good for you. Alas, I lack that capacity. I recognize this about myself, and therefore preserve my enjoyment of the films by ignoring those entries in the franchise that I don't like.

Regardless, my posts were more about expressing my concerns regarding the potential technical flaws in the blu-ray transfers. I made a single passing comment about choosing to ignore the existence of one of the films in the franchise. I fail to see what the big bloody deal is.

24. jcoffman99

As the author of this thread I'm going to ask that we stay on the topic of the Blu-Rays and dial down the snarkyness. KOTCS carries strong feelings for both sides of the film going public but this thread is not for that. Thanks,
    John

25. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oddly enough I watched 'Raiders' last night- regular DVD on a Blu-ray player and Samsung HDTV.

The quality was good, but not as good as other regular DVDs I've bought recently. No complaints, but I was wishing I had Blu-ray copies knowing how much sharper the picture would be.

I'll pick-up the box set from Wal-mart (price) and not Amazon after the Star Wars fiasco (got my copies delivered a full week after the stores got them and not any cheaper).

Then when they actually make Indy 5 I'll have to buy them all over again.

26. bish

bish New Member

Very excited to finally get these movies in HD!

27. GKvfx

GKvfx Sr Member

This time, the boulder shoots first......

Gene

PS - Buddy of mine and I went to dinner last weekend and about 10min after we sat down, Harrison Ford walked in and sat at the table next to us. Finally, after 20+ years in this town, a celebrity sighting worth a *.....

28. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

August 14!

29. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Brad that is golden!:lol I am a HUGE SW fan, but have yet to buy the BluRay set because of Uncle George's tweaking of the movies. If the "Original" SW movies are ever released on BluRay put me down...otherwise I'll just keep my VCR & watch them on VHS. I hope & pray the Indy films are left alone....except part 4...get rid of the aliens & that whiny Transformer kid:lol

30. JD

JD Master Member

You can explain it anyway you wish or as many times as you wish. You can also deny or ignore my existence or just blindly lump me into some category because you don't like me - it doesn't mean that I don't exist.

For some reason some folks (see - I don't ignorantly make assumptions that you're included in with these folks or just blindly include you), like to pretend things don't exist or just opt to ignore their existence. If that makes you feel better - that's great. Sometimes, you have to come down from fantasy land and back to reality... and understand that by god, they do exist!

Again, if you don't like it DON'T WATCH IT. Is it really that difficult a concept?

To come in here and preach about a film that you haven't even watched is just... well, I can't say for fear of getting a talking to from our Mod's. But, let's just say it's just ridiculous...

If you feel better off ignoring thing's to justify yourself, that's great. Frankly, it's an ignorant way to go on living. You don't have to like thing's... there's a lot of thing's I don't care for, but I don't have the audacity to ignore their existence.

31. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I got a recording off of TV, in HD :) Not as good as Bluray, but not bad at all.

[​IMG]

32. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

[​IMG]

33. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Yep. And the Swordsman scene is being re-done so the swordsman shoots first! :lol

34. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Remake jokes are never as good as the original.

35. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

And the only thing I get out of acknowledging they exist??

"God, it sure would have been a lot better if this hadn't existed."

I have about a dozen movies on my "ignore list" for the sake of not only maintaining good quality, but also protecting common sense.

For instance, Star Trek V is the kind of film that was not only detached from what made a good Star Trek story, but it was done in such a manner that it had to change a lot of it's characters to fill a story that goes no where and does nothing. This was a crew who were willing to throw their careers away and go through a court martial to help Kirk rescue Spock, but now they're willing to mutiny against Kirk because of a single therapy session. That kind of writing doesn't add to the series, it HURTS it. The nicest thing I can say about Star Trek V is that it's incredibly easy for fans and audiences alike to ignore it entirely and move on to VI. At least that film carries on all the elements and themes that 2-4 had. It works a lot better that way.

Alien3? Well, if the film's own director chooses to ignore it, why can't I?

36. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've seen the transfer for Raiders in a theatrical presentation. It looked like it was shot in 2011. The sound blew us all out of our seats. Everyone should be very happy.

37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Did they mess with color tones or "touch up" anything? The scuttlebutt is that Spielberg doesn't do that, but I'm curious.

38. aeonpulse

Can anyone tell me why Temple of Doom always seems to get so much hate? I personally love it, my second favorite in the trilogy, behind Raiders. I suppose I can see why people would have issues with it, Raiders kept everything within the realm of "reality" for the most part, and then Temple comes along and BAM, hearts being torn out (and then spontaniously combusting), voodoo dolls, Indy getting brainwashed or whatever, but come on, it's a fun movie! What's not to love about it? I've heard people argue that it's just too far fetched and ridiculous, but Raiders and Crusade had their fair share of those moments as well. Also, IT'S A MOVIE!

I just don't understand why so many people apparently have such a big problem with it! Can anyone perhaps help me with this? Am I missing something?

39. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not that I could tell. It looked appropriately vintage. It was an amazing transfer. The Raiders geeks with me all agreed.

And i think the SW Blu-Rays still generally look like ****, so I'm not an easy customer.

40. aeonpulse

This is good news. Now I am super stoked for this release!

41. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, definitely good news.

42. murphy

murphy New Member

For me the problem with Temple Of Doom was Kate Capshaw. She broke that movie for me.....Now this is just my opinion so no need for a word joust.

43. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

I think Temple sucks and here’s why. Mostly the writing. The script is lousy, and the characters are cardboard and ridiculous. Indy is a guy who pretty much kills people wherever he goes, and to have a kid with blocks of wood tied to his feet as a sidekick is preposterous. Whereas Marion is a strong, well-developed character, Willy is a cookie cutter dumb blonde damsel in distress. And that’s nothing against Capshaw, she made the best of it, there’s just no role there. Same with the bad guy. Bolloq, Toht, etc., were guys you loved to boo and hiss at, but the Mola Ram character is a one-note snooze. The film is half goofy, half dark and can’t make up its mind what it wants to be.

One man’s opinion.

44. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I think it's not so much that it's half goofy and half dark as much as it is the extremes to which it is each of those things. Raiders has its goofy moments and its dark moments. But it strikes a better balance by never going too far in one direction or the other. Temple veers between freakin' DARK (heart-ripping scene, child slavery), and over-the-top goofy (Willie, Short Round). I think in different films, either could be just fine. You could have a more light-hearted film where those characters would be fine. Or you could have a much darker film where the violence and brutality of the film is perfectly acceptable. But to mix the two together...it's just jarring and too extreme.

Plus, everyone loves to hate Nazis. Hating obscure Hindu cults from the 19th century? Not as compelling.

45. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I personally love TOD over Raiders (saw TOD first). It's a great action adventure that is enjoyable to watch over and over because of it's stereotypical characters and great action scenes - plus John Williams' score is absolutely amazing to me!

46. aeonpulse

Ah, thanks for the responses, all very valid points, and I totally agree, Raiders is superior in every way. Still, I throughly enjoy Temple of Doom, honestly my love for it is probably more nostalga based than anything. Although, I can't stand Willie, and I'll never understand Indy's interest in her.

47. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

That actually highlights something important, I think. I saw TOD before Raiders, too, and I've never really MINDED TOD as a result. It's not my favorite -- I far prefer Raiders -- but in spite of its flaws, I still can enjoy it. Some of that's probably nostalgia, but I also sort of "get the joke." It's a riff on the old Republic jungle adventure serials or the pulp adventure novels of the 1930s. As much as the opening of Raiders (and much of the rest of Raiders) is similar to that, Temple is through-and-through a pulp adventure down to all the stereotypes, scenes for the sake of shock, etc.

Raiders does that, but puts a modern spin on it. Temple, I think, goes more "retro" and takes the stuff it's doing somewhat seriously, in a weird way. To modern audiences, that's kinda jarring (and I think I recall reading that the Thugee cult stuff irritated audiences in India for just that reason).

Plus, coming off of Raiders...man...how do you top that? Certainly not with Temple. On it's own, it's entertaining, but it's not the masterpiece that Raiders is.

48. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

If I took away the answer "E.) All of the above" then who is most responsible for making Raiders great?

Was it:
    A.) George
    B.) Steve
    C.) Lawrence
    D.) Harrison

49. jcoffman99

I'd say B. Steven was smart enough to hire Lawerence and Harrison. He ran the show.

50. aeonpulse

Spielberg, all the way. Of course everyone contributed in making it great, but I feel that Steven was the real driving force behind it.