Indiana Jones Raiders hat

Mechanized

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,
so I came across a pretty good Indy Hat the other day off eBay for a decent price. The downside is that's it's all sorts of beat up and there's no labels pointing to a hat maker. I can say from experience it's not one of those cheaper Indy knock offs, or the lame licensed ones that look nothing like the one in Raiders(IMO). Plus the brim measures slightly more narrow on the sides. Which to me, indicates a decently made replica of the iconic hat.

Anyways, the hat needs to be re-blocked and re-shaped. Can anyone help a brotha out in finding a shop or anyone on the forum who does Indy hat shaping? I'd much appreciate any help in the matter. Cheers!

Hey there,

I'd be interested to see the hat you're looking into - a lot of decently made fedoras are narrower on the sides of the brim than the front and back. One of the key things to look for in a Raiders hat is the straightness of the crown, i.e. no taper - I know you said you'd like to get the hat reblocked and rebashed, but this could prove costly.

For my Indy style hats, I've bought three Christy's Adventurer fedoras, all of which capture a good essence of the original hat without costing the earth. It's all in the bash really - Penman have some great bash tutorials on youtube.

If you wanted to spend a bit more money, of course, a Penman or an Adventurebilt would work even better than a Christy's.

Hope I've been of some help!

RG

Hey guys, thanks! Especially to you RagleGumm! Defeintly helping me out fellas.

ill take a look at the crown, check the amount of tapper if any at all. Also if applicable I'll post some photos for possible further help. If it ends up being a lost cause, well that happens.
thanks again guys!

No worries at all! I hope you have some luck with this, I know just how elusive the perfect Indy fedora can be! Haha.

If you need any other assistance with it, I'll be happy to try and help you along.

Cheers!

RG

So after a long delay, I ended up going the Todd's route. The downtowner hat was just as much cost wise as if I were to have my hat reblocked and so on from Penmen. I'm pretty happy with the turnout from Todd's. But I think later down the line I want to purchase a Garrison streets of Cairo fedora. I'd love to hear back about what people think of their Garrison fedoras before I get mine. Thanks for tuning in

As far as my understanding goes, there is not better IJ fedora than the ones made by Steve Delk at Adventurebilt Hats, especially given the fact that they were the ones used in Indy 4.

I can speak from personal experience, Steve is a pleasure to work with and the quality of the hat is second to none. It's amazing. Been through many adventures with me. It's at least worth a look.

Thanks for your input DorkDaddy. I've actually talked with the gentlemen over at Adventurebilt Hats awhile back. Your right, exteremly nice and helpful. They're on my list for Indy hats as I've heard and read nothing but great remarks about Steve's work. He was really helpful when we chatted about sizing, which is most important obviously. So I do plan do go that route in good time. I mean can you really just have one Indy hat?

Just got some Indy styles boots. Working my way up to a pair of Alden's. These will do for the time being image.jpgimage.jpg

Thank you eBay, and eBay seller:thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back