INDIANA JONES - How much for a really GOOD fedora?

Well, as much as I had my eye on the Advintage Streets of Cairo, I wanted to put together an Indy outfit for Halloween, and there simply isn’t a quick enough turnaround time. So I went with this option from a hatmaker in Greece

The pinch is kinda loose, and maybe I’ll end up returning it, because I tend to not trust color depictions on the internet (and part of me still really wants the Advintage hat), so I guess I’ll see how the hat turns out in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Update: by no means should anyone here do business with the company I posted above. The quality of hat is fine, but their customer service is trash. The hat they sent me is far too red, and when I tried to return or exchange the hat, they ignored my messages until I opened a dispute on Etsy. As soon as they made promises to rectify the issue, they asked me to “resolve the dispute”, which I did. They have not answered a single message since then.

I received the FANTASTIC Streets of Cairo Fedora from Thomas at Advintage yesterday. It's incredibly well made to a very high standard. I'd recommend this to anyone.
Before I ordered mine, Thomas sent me samples of the different felt colours so I could choose which colour I wanted. He offers a good selection:

True Sable (Darkest of them all).
Sable (I picked this one as it matched up with the original Herbert Johnson hat colour).
Raiders Sable (Lighter than Sable - perhaps a bit too light).
Light Sable.

All these cater for the variety of colours that the hat "appears" to be in the movie (depending on lighting / filters etc), but ultimately, I selected the "Sable" colour as this is what Herbert Johnson used on the original hat that was made for the movie.
Looks fantastic.How much did you paid?

I've got the Advintage Indy Raiders SABLE hat (brand new look rather than the 'Streets of Cairo' version that looks like he's been sweating in it all day long). It looks more like at the start of the movie or after it magically got "cleaned" on the ship later. I think it was closer to $150. You can wear it in or sweat in it yourself for considerably less moolah, IMO. :D

Raiders Hat s.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Advintage Indy Raiders SABLE hat (brand new look rather than the 'Streets of Cairo' version that looks like he's been seating in it all day long). It looks more like at the start of the movie or after it magically got "cleaned" on the ship later. I think it was closer to $150. You can wear it in or sweat in it yourself for considerably less moolah, IMO. :D

View attachment 1364424
How did you get it so cheap? The Advintage site has all the handcrafted hats listed at over €300 apiece.

How did you get it so cheap? The Advintage site has all the handcrafted hats listed at over €300 apiece.

It's not a handcrafted hat. It's the Avintage "Harrison Ford Fedora" hat in Raiders style €149. Handcrafted costs twice as much and I preferred Rabbit Felt Sable over Beaver anyway. I think it looks mighty accurate for the price, personally and I could buy the grey Fedora as well from the Clipper/Washington scenes for the savings. But if you prefer the handcrafted versions, they're there also. I also bought one that fits my head (rather than Harrison Ford's head that is a bit smaller than mine).

It's not a handcrafted hat. It's the Avintage "Harrison Ford Fedora" hat in Raiders style €149. Handcrafted costs twice as much and I preferred Rabbit Felt Sable over Beaver anyway. I think it looks mighty accurate for the price, personally and I could buy the grey Fedora as well from the Clipper/Washington scenes for the savings. But if you prefer the handcrafted versions, they're there also. I also bought one that fits my head (rather than Harrison Ford's head that is a bit smaller than mine).
Ah, that’s right. I can’t get the Harrison hat due to my head size, but yours looks great!

Indeed. This is a rabbit streets of Cairo from Steele and Jones. I had them leave off the distressing And added a tiny bit myself.
Since I can't delete the previous comment, I'll just re-add the photo Flipped properly.

Attachments

• 1606519784015.jpg
    1606519784015.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 388
I just ordered an Advintage in gray (Harrison) and a Herbert Johnson in rabbit sable with the Raiders turn. I was really turned off by the wait times and communication (or lack of) with some of the smaller hat makers.
The customer service Michelle at HJ has delivered has been something else. I have 4 or 5 emails from her which are fairly detailed as opposed to one of the other well known hat makers I didn’t even get an answer from.
It all worked out though. The hats HJ has been showing have been absolutely beautiful. I didn’t want a “cosplay” hat so having something distressed wasn’t important to me. I simply wanted a hat or two I could wear in real life and eventually at a convention once they come back.

Andre Tognarelli, Tognarelli Vintage Fedoras makes hats entirely bespoke and makes great Indy fedoras, raiders too. He uses fepsa rabbit or beaver felt. Idk if he uses any blended ones. I love mine. I got it last year some time. Idr when exactly, i think last spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_101826.jpg
    IMG_20201007_101826.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 20201010_171910.jpg
    20201010_171910.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_20201007_101912-1.jpg
    IMG_20201007_101912-1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 155
  • 20201010_171836.jpg
    20201010_171836.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20201007_101848-1.jpg
    IMG_20201007_101848-1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 156
I’ll throw my hat in the ring (HA!!)

After much looking (about 10-15 years ago) I felt this was the best bang for the buck at the time. Nice soft rabbit felt; and I did shrink it a bit in a driving rainstorm. But, that just enhanced the brim distortion (the “turn”) everyone wants.

I had to bash it myself but it wasn’t that bad actually. I got a horsehair brush (used for shoe polish) that I use to keep it looking nice. No idea if they are even around any longer, and the bow is not “screen accurate” but it’s a nice hat. Sorry it’s a bit dusty. Need to get the brush out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 496

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back