INDIANA JONES - How much for a really GOOD fedora?

pastadude

Alright, so everybody knows about the Disneyland licensed ones, or Todd's Downtowner, or Stetsons, but how much would a really *GREAT* Indiana Jones fedora go for? I've vaguely heard of Baron's, Adventurebilt, and Akubra, but the question really remains, how much does a *GREAT* Indiana Jones fedora cost?

It really depends on who’s making it, what it’s made of, and how accurate you want it to be. I know some of the Adventurebilt options can get as high as 500 or 600 USD, and on the other end of the spectrum, I know of an Etsy seller from Greece that is selling a decent hat for less than 200. Adventurebilt obviously has the prestige of providing hats to Crystal Skull, but if that doesn’t matter to you, there are definitely budget options that don’t sacrifice quality/accuracy.

That 1st reply is pretty accurate you can pay 5 or $600 easily for an Adventurbuilt. Penman is now doing the job and I think you pay about $500 for it... With usually at least 6 months waiting time.
There are a few other very good hat makers I have not had the pleasure of trying so I won't mention them, but the one I think is every bit as high quality as I've ever seen and probably more accurate it's made by Steel and Jones .
Not only is their quality as good as anyone ever, their prices are a bit lower, and they masterfully taylor the hat exactly to you and even the scene from the movie of your choice.

If those prices are too high, decent budget friendly ones are available but you will probably want to do some steam/reshaping of the brim and top. But for $100-150 they are worth it, as it just takes a little elbow grease to make them look really darn good.

The Coyle Downtowner runs around $100-120 and sometimes cheaper on the 2nd hand market
6C61E292-864B-4742-A4C1-C665C6C33B10.jpeg

And then there is the Adventurer Hat by David Morgan:
EDC6F80F-7568-4CEE-B111-95A0BECBA9D7.jpeg

this one runs about $145.

I have an AdVintage, those can range from like $150 to $300 depending on which felt you get. $150ish is probably the lowest end of your quality replicas. There are a few options at that price. The best are going to be the Penman as others have already stated.

Also, Herbert Johnson still makes the Poet (what they actually used), but I think it's been changed a little bit from the ones they were making when the movies were made. So while it is the original, it isn't as accurate as the Penman.

Anyone know the quality on these?

Wasnt there a forum member from Germany who had made a really good hat? I do not recall his name and I cannot find those old threads about how he taught himself hat making. Or am I imagining this?!

I know the Akubra Fed IV has always been extremely popular, and is extremely durable hat. It's made by Akubra, and has often been supplied by David Morgan. I don't see it listed on their site at the moment, but if you can track one down that's one option.

You can also buy the original Herbert Johnson Poet direct from them in either rabbit for about $500 USD or in beaver for about $700 USD (pretty steep, but consider that HJ is THE premier hattery of the UK). I bought an older '90s model, pre-original block discovery (the original hat block that the Poet was shaped on had been lost for a few decades and has only recently rediscovered) for about $250 USD on eBay and it gets the job done for me.
Rf7Lh0f.png

Adventurebilt is another great choice. I believe they were the original supplier for the KOTCS hat.

Anyone know the quality on these?

Never bought one, or seen reviews on them, but I've always admired the look.

Coyle's Downtowner has been mentioned, but also pointed out that it's been out of stock for a while. I have one and find the brim to be a tad misshapen, and the felt is extremely thick making it a nice and warm winter fedora, but not very useful for cosplay purposes, or summer wear.

Penman is a great hatter, but I've always found his Indy hat brims to be over curled.

Just keep in mind that tretty much any hat worth its weight will run you over $100. Never buy wool for a fedora, it's stiff and uncomfortable, and doesn't last as well as beaver or rabbit felt.

I've been around the block with pretty much all versions of Indy's hats over the past 20 years. Best one I had was made by "Fedoraiders" from Club Obi Wan, but he doesn't make them anymore. I'm currently waiting for a super accurate "Streets of Cairo, Raiders turn" Fedora from Thomas at Advintage. He makes a SUPERB shaped Fedora and also offers the weathering option.

Here's a photo of my Advintage hat taken prior to any weathering being added to it. (Original Raiders Fedora photo on the left courtesy of Propstore's auction page).

Attachments

• Original-vs-Advintage for cking.jpg
    Original-vs-Advintage for cking.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
I've been around the block with pretty much all versions of Indy's hats over the past 20 years. Best one I had was made by "Fedoraiders" from Club Obi Wan, but he doesn't make them anymore. I'm currently waiting for a super accurate "Streets of Cairo, Raiders turn" Fedora from Thomas at Advintage. He makes a SUPERB shaped Fedora and also offers the weathering option.

Here's a photo of my Advintage hat taken prior to any weathering being added to it. (Original Raiders Fedora photo on the left courtesy of Propstore's auction page).
Ah yes, I've heard fantastic things about Advintage! That Streets of Cairo is spot on!

It's a good looking hat for sure, but the bash is wrong, it should be a center dent. You could steam it out and change that though if you wanted. What are the brim dimensions?

I mean, as is, if you wore it as part of a costume, or stuck it in your display, 95% of people out there wouldn't notice. Just depends on how accurate YOU want it. Otherwise, it would look great with a nice blue suit whenever you have to dress up. Baron makes good hats.

Last edited:
:DBaron Hats? :D

WAY over priced for most of what they sell and I do not know how they have been treating their customers lately but they were infamous for their customer service or rather lack there of A few years ago

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back