Indiana Jones Holy Grail attempt two and three

DeLano80

Sr Member
This is my second attempt at my favorite cup.
My first laughable attempt made from clay can be found here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251314

I think attempt number two is much better, but not without it flaws. This new version is made from wood, turned on my lathe. I bounced my skew off of it to try to replicate pottery. Then of course, faux gold leaf and weathering. It still will not replace my Restaurajones grail. I did use that as inspiration. Mine is about 1/4" taller and my shape didn't come out as nice. I also find that I am not entirely talented at weathering and gold leafing. Anyhow, it was fun.
And my bad lighting pictures!
IMG_1117_zpsok76ejhq.jpg
IMG_1114_zpsptrlaifi.jpg
IMG_1121_zpsrwpyzfbb.jpg

Last edited:
And now for number three. Just for fun, and because I already have superb grail by Restaurajones, I decided to see what this would look like showing its wood finish. I stripped all the gold leaf and paint off, and sanded it smooth. I applied a red mahogany stain, gold leaf and a light wash on top. This is in no way trying to be a screen accurate prop. Just for fun.
a_zpsgirhsujz.jpg

b_zpspgxwse5i.jpg

c_zpsmyntrhbn.jpg

d_zpscjfviknm.jpg

I've always wondered what the grail would look like in wood... Now I know.

Yeah, the old look is best -- really carries across the feeling of age to me -- but I think the polished-and-guilded looks cool on its own. Although I think it would do better if the guilding wasn't random patches, but was done with wear patterns; almost gone on stem and lip, larger more contiguous pieces elsewhere. (And kudos for trying that technique...I've messed with gold leaf maybe ONCE and found it rather frustrating!)

Pity, tho, you don't have one more, a first attempt you chose wallboard compound or something that totally didn't work. 'Cause then you could say, "You chose...poorly."

OK. Here is the wood grail again. I went back and forth on this. I still wanted to highlight the wood on this without covering it up. Not being a professional anything, it was difficult. I ended up just toning down the leaf and only doing a little weathering. I think it looks better than before. Sorry guys, the band looked horrible on this cup!

1_zps8snlt57l.jpg

4_zpsdms4sedi.jpg

Let me know what you think.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back