Indiana Jones Help

I've been looking around a lot at different replicas of items from the Indiana Jones films. I've been reading many old forums from years ago, and I would like some opinions to help me decide on what I should get and if things have changed for certain companies over the years and if you guys know of other companies that you think are superior.

The Fedora - As of right now, I'm trying to find a good fedora that's under $350 and the ones that have piqued my interest the most are advintage, Steele and Jones, and Akubra.

The Idol - Reelart seems to have a bad reputation, and the only complaint I've heard about toynk's is that it's 1/4-1/2 of an inch too small.

The Jacket - For the jacket, I'll probably end up getting a wested, but I don't know which version they sell is the most screen accurate, and I was wondering how good the fjackets version is and which of their two is more screen accurate.

The Whip - What's the difference between the standard and deluxe versions of Magnoli's whip.

Reelart is garbage, nearly all of their stuff is recast and I’d avoid them like the plague.

Same with Fjackets, the quality is rubbish and you get what you pay for. Stick with Wested or Todd’s if you’re on a budget.

I have a Wested and Steele and Jones. I really don’t like the Wested as it seems way to heavy for what I waned out of an Indy jacket and I love my Steele and Jones.

I got my whip from Blake Bruning at Trinity Whip Co. He has good prices, a good turn around time and his communication is beyond my expectation.

I got my idol from Ozymandius here on RPF. It’s a great idol for the price.

I haven’t got the fedora yet as of all the props that’s the easiest to come by so I’ve been investing in some of the awesome stuff found here on RPF that’s more one of a kind but I’m leaning towards Penman Hats for when I get one.

I hope that helps.

Sean

I'm pretty sure Todd's still makes them, but they might be backed up because of the holidays and all.

Another good option for another budget option would be USWings and their Indy-style jackets.

Supposedly Todd no longer makes the jacket, one is in the junkyard as I post though

Fjackets are crap as well as reel art.

Check out Penmens for a Fedora, lots of prices and options now

Supposedly Todd no longer makes the jacket, one is in the junkyard as I post though

Darn, that's news to me. :( I know he's been out of stock for a while but I figured he was just having supply issues. Always liked having him for an option.

It’s a great jacket the Coyle is my backup for my Wested

I will reach out and see what is up with him

Darn, that's news to me. :( I know he's been out of stock for a while but I figured he was just having supply issues. Always liked having him for an option.

I've had an Akubra Federation IV for years. Still looks great. I've also got a Wested in goatskin. Leather is holding up fine, lining is shredding at the bottom, but I've been wearing it regularly for about 15 years.

Steele and Jones makes great fedoras and Jackets.

I too have a Coyle’s jacket but want a S&J for a TOD version.

Can’t go wrong with Akubra, Penman or Christy’s fedoras either.
A sub $300 option is GarrisonHatters. I have my TOD fedora through him and love it! You can choose between rabbit and beaver(expensive), fur.

I have an adVintage fedora that I bought from them a couple years ago. I believe it was the Herbert Johnson Poet, 100% rabbit felt, and less than & $200. Great budget option if they still offer it.

How accurate would you say that the Akubra is?

I'm not the best judge, I think it looks great but I'm not super picky about uber screen accuracy. I understand the felt is slightly too dark, and in the decade since I got the Fed IV deluxe, much research has been done on the particulars of the original hat. Here's a recent shot, not the greatest picture of me but good shot of the hat, which is still in great shape for over 10 years of adventures

23120148_10159632542790074_2522090488512950296_o.jpg

I'm not the best judge, I think it looks great but I'm not super picky about uber screen accuracy. I understand the felt is slightly too dark, and in the decade since I got the Fed IV deluxe, much research has been done on the particulars of the original hat. Here's a recent shot, not the greatest picture of me but good shot of the hat, which is still in great shape for over 10 years of adventures

View attachment 966958
Did you get it with or without shaping and if you didn't, how did you end up shaping it?

How accurate would you say that the Akubra is?
I believe the Fed IV has to be shaped yourself, so most of the accuracy part is on you, but it's an outstanding hat and many every day hat wearers swear by theirs. I've heard the felt can be a tad hard, but it's a very durable hat that can stand up to the worst you can throw at it.

Did you get it with or without shaping and if you didn't, how did you end up shaping it?
You set the "Indy bash" with steam. There's plenty of instructional videos for it online. Most people use a tea kettle, though I've found that steaming hot water from the tap works just as well, if you don't mind your hat getting wet that is.

Here's an original HP Poet I reshaped just using steaming hot tap water. Arrived like this:
MBIjNu1.jpg

And has looked like this for about a year now despite constant wear in all weather.
MInCsr1.jpg

Just going to echo what CT1138 said. It does indeed come open crown, I use a handheld clothing steamer. Brim swoop increases over time as does the tightness of the pinch at the front with handling. Ordering already bashed from an expert guarantees screen accuracy, but there's something very gratifying about doing it yourself.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back