Indiana Jones Egyptian Mail newspaper

BrotherWilliam

I've been doing some digging into this and have not found much in the way of research, or at least any that is still out there. I can find that the Egyptian Mail was a real newspaper that existed in 1938 and I'm starting to try and access some of the online archives to see if any of the pages might match the one Sallah had.

But before I dive into the world of real newspaper archives, does anyone know if the IJatHG prop was a replica or just one cobbled together for the film?

Or has anyone actually made a reproduction of this in the past?

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
vlcsnap-2019-06-20-21h10m53s794.png

I've been doing some digging into this and have not found much in the way of research, or at least any that is still out there. I can find that the Egyptian Mail was a real newspaper that existed in 1938 and I'm starting to try and access some of the online archives to see if any of the pages might match the one Sallah had.

But before I dive into the world of real newspaper archives, does anyone know if the IJatHG prop was a replica or just one cobbled together for the film?

Or has anyone actually made a reproduction of this in the past?

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 1030669
try the library as they often have newspaper archives but no sure if they will have Egypt ones

Did a bit more research into it and your right just no replicas out there so decided to have a go at making one up in photoshop,here's what I came up with the logo is almost accurate but font not a perfect match and the date of it is based on Indy,s timeline and the King Farouk picture is the right one but as for the rest it did it movie style putting it together from other news stories from the time with pictures that looked close enough to the one Sallah as got,and did it as 3 separate images in order to get the overall size right, I then put the three images onto a disk took it to my local printing shop and got them to print them out as one image onto thin A3 paper so it looks like a newspaper think it turned out ok but by no means perfect hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• egpyt mail.JPG
    egpyt mail.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 315
  • egpyt mail 1.JPG
    egpyt mail 1.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 326
  • egpyt mail 2.JPG
    egpyt mail 2.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
sorry for digging this old post (that's what archeology is about Dr. Jones...)
anyways Celeste Conway great job i was gonna try and make one myself but that's perfect for my Sallah costume.
Do you allow me to use this and maybe make additional copies to give away as swag at cons??
and Petertiger thanks for sourcing the clips
i can, add up both your names somewhere in that page if you want!

Did a bit more research into it and your right just no replicas out there so decided to have a go at making one up in photoshop,here's what I came up with the logo is almost accurate but font not a perfect match and the date of it is based on Indy,s timeline and the King Farouk picture is the right one but as for the rest it did it movie style putting it together from other news stories from the time with pictures that looked close enough to the one Sallah as got,and did it as 3 separate images in order to get the overall size right, I then put the three images onto a disk took it to my local printing shop and got them to print them out as one image onto thin A3 paper so it looks like a newspaper think it turned out ok but by no means perfect hope this helps you out.
This is fantastic! Been looking something for something like this for my Sallah LC prop. Thanks for sharing.

sorry for digging this old post (that's what archeology is about Dr. Jones...)
anyways Celeste Conway great job i was gonna try and make one myself but that's perfect for my Sallah costume.
Do you allow me to use this and maybe make additional copies to give away as swag at cons??
and Petertiger thanks for sourcing the clips
i can, add up both your names somewhere in that page if you want!
I was the one who made it up and you are most welcome to print out copies for swag at cons.

Just what I need for my Sallah cosplay. You printed onto A3 paper (11.7 x 16.5 inches), so it looks like a tabloid newspaper (11" x 17"). Nice! When you say "thin" paper, do you happen to remember what thickness? Did you use white or another color. Thanks!

Just what I need for my Sallah cosplay. You printed onto A3 paper (11.7 x 16.5 inches), so it looks like a tabloid newspaper (11" x 17"). Nice! When you say "thin" paper, do you happen to remember what thickness? Did you use white or another color. Thanks!
Don't know the thickness but the paper I used was called newsprint paper I got it from eBay and it's like a real newspaper both in texture, colour and look

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back