Indiana Jones Crystal Skull 1:1

Sevv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Whilst my workshop is in the mists of being renovated I searched for something I could do without making too much mess around the house. I've wanted a crystal skull prop since I saw the film so I thought this was a good opportunity. I have spent a long time really trying to capture that 'look' the crystal skull has, from its fantastic eye socks to its long sticky out jaw and teeth. Its really a long pointy object with some brilliant shapes and curves.

I modelled it in Maya and Zbrush, using as much film reference as I possibly could. Screen grabbing every scene with the prop in as possible and using lessons learnt from my days at MPC to line up and match as close as possible. Every angle doesn't line up perfectly but I am happy its very close and a good medium between all available shots. Matching something that's transparent is defiantly a challenge :) I have chatted to a few people behind the scenes as well which has given me some insight not available on Google.

More work went into getting this 'right' than I expected but i'm really happy I went the extra mile.

shot01.jpg

shot02.jpg

shot03.jpg

shot04.jpg

shot05.jpg

Those are some of my angles, I've got about 20 more in my Maya scene.

Using all available knowledge in front of and behind the PC I have made my replica around 39cm long. Seems about right.

Currently printing on the resin printer, cant wait to get one all cast up in crystal clear resin.

Hope you like it.

crystal1.JPG

crystal2.JPG
crystal3.JPG
crystal4.JPG

I've ALWAYS wanted one of these, and to make one! Looks Great! I have been collecting references for this prop over the years, but looks like you got it dead on. Cant wait to see the progress! Definitely interested for sure!

Hadn’t really thought about it but if people are interested then sure.
i dont think ive ever seen a actual run of this prop done... it almost gets to the point then never happens. i know it is a very sought after prop

Whilst my workshop is in the mists of being renovated I searched for something I could do without making too much mess around the house. I've wanted a crystal skull prop since I saw the film so I thought this was a good opportunity. I have spent a long time really trying to capture that 'look' the crystal skull has, from its fantastic eye socks to its long sticky out jaw and teeth. Its really a long pointy object with some brilliant shapes and curves.

I modelled it in Maya and Zbrush, using as much film reference as I possibly could. Screen grabbing every scene with the prop in as possible and using lessons learnt from my days at MPC to line up and match as close as possible. Every angle doesn't line up perfectly but I am happy its very close and a good medium between all available shots. Matching something that's transparent is defiantly a challenge :) I have chatted to a few people behind the scenes as well which has given me some insight not available on Google.

More work went into getting this 'right' than I expected but i'm really happy I went the extra mile.

View attachment 1531335
View attachment 1531336
View attachment 1531337
View attachment 1531338
View attachment 1531339

Those are some of my angles, I've got about 20 more in my Maya scene.

Using all available knowledge in front of and behind the PC I have made my replica around 39cm long. Seems about right.

Currently printing on the resin printer, cant wait to get one all cast up in crystal clear resin.

Hope you like it.

View attachment 1531331
View attachment 1531332View attachment 1531333View attachment 1531334
amazing work !!!

Here are some pictures I found from the original making of the skulls :)

Attachments

• EVznvdSX0AEnDUP.jpg
    EVznvdSX0AEnDUP.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 265
  • EVzntd4XkAEM9c3.jpg
    EVzntd4XkAEM9c3.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 256
  • EVzn9mvXYAERcMG.jpg
    EVzn9mvXYAERcMG.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 256
Those are great pics thank you. Love the paint job on the teeth, look forward to tackling that.
the alien skulls got all the special painting on the teeth :)

Attachments

• EYYgR7bXYAEvvwX.jpg
    EYYgR7bXYAEvvwX.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 225
  • EYYgR8JWAAAEwNq.jpg
    EYYgR8JWAAAEwNq.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 218
the alien skulls got all the special painting on the teeth :)
even on the skull Indy shows here, is the bloody teeth painting on

Attachments

• EVwbV-yXgAALCtN.jpg
    EVwbV-yXgAALCtN.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 196
  • EVwcfhzXsAEQys1.jpg
    EVwcfhzXsAEQys1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • 28617879858_92b901ce05_o.jpg
    28617879858_92b901ce05_o.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 190
  • EVweXwgXgAI6zDt.jpg
    EVweXwgXgAI6zDt.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 208

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back