Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Plot hole?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by NBStudios, Dec 3, 2011.

1. NBStudios

NBStudios Active Member

I just noticed that in KOTCS Henry Jones is supposed to be dead. But in The last crusade he drank from the holy grail which gives eternal life.. Someone explain please?

2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Yeah, wasn't it that it gave him everlasting life only if he didn't cross the seal? That was the price of immortality, as the knight said.

3. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. Thread Done. :lol

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I rule!

5. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So...titanicfan...any more questions? :lol

6. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about the Raiders submarine problem? :cool

Where's Sheldon???

7. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

See, I always thought that *any* effects of the grail only worked behind the seal, which is why I never understood why Henry Sr. didn't fall over and die from his gunshot wound...

8. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

As related to the Flying Wing problem?

"The Nazis have discovered TARDIS."

9. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Should be in movie forum. :)

10. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Short thread :lol

11. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IBTL *'s

12. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

13. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Immortality maybe, but what about this bit from the script of Last Crusade...(Indy talking with Walter Donovan)

Based on that, I should think that Henry would have lived a much longer life.

14. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Who's to say how he died? As we know from the movies, immortality doesn't save you when your head's cut off. There can be only one!

15. Contec

Contec Master Member

The grail grants Immortality yes, but that don't mean that it stops the aging of the body. Just check the knight that guards the grail. He is not a young man anymore. He even has a hard time lifting the sword.

Plus at the time the two knights traveled to europe meant that you was considered real Old when you were 50 years or less, So having a guy appear just like 70 years mean't they thought he died of really OLD age (for that time)

16. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

We don't know how Henry Snr. died. For all we know, he could have been ran over by a car or he may have gone on another "quest" somewhere and just never came back for reasons unknown (where he probably got killed in the process). Immortality may only be limited in its abilities after going past the seal is how I took it.

17. NBStudios

NBStudios Active Member

Guess I never thought of all of the possibility's haha

18. cboath

cboath Master Member

Enter the grail room at age 40, drink from the cup and hang out behind the seal for 1,000 years. Decide 1,000 years is enough, leave the grail room and cross the seal and the age process kicks back into gear.

Keep in mind, old age at the time of the Knights searching for the grail was probably in your 40's to begin with.

19. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

They way that I always understood it is that the grail shouldn't have crossed the seal - If you wanted immortality, you'd have to drink from the grail somewhere in the inards of the temple, not past the seal. Sure Connery crossed the seal, but the grail did too, hence forfeiting immortality. If the grail stayed behind, then I guess he was immortal... :confused

20. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Bring in a high speed internet connection, cable TV, and a pizza place that delivers and I'd be set.

21. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

The way I always understood it the Grail couldn't leave the building, but drinking from the Grail just once didn't grant you immortality. Drinking from the Grail once healed you, continuing to drink from it over time kept healing you rendering you, in effect, immortal. But since the Grail couldn't cross the seal you had to stay with the Grail.

22. ronski

ronski New Member

I always assumed that you would be immortal as long as you didn't cross the seal. (The other knights died sometime after they left the temple due to old age, if I'm not mistaken) But I think I like this theory better!

23. Ford W Maverick

I mean, I could be wrong, but that's the way I understood it from having watched the movie about a million times. :D

24. CTF

CTF Sr Member

We need a bigger plot hole to bury that * in.

25. Zykotec

Zykotec Active Member

I have always wondered what that lone knight has been up to all these years. I mean, did he just sit there? Day after day, year after year, waiting for someone to come by? Seriously, hundreds of years, all alone !!! ...

26. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

He was reading, praying, drinking from the cup... but... what did he eat?

27. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

I am with the camp that says the grail AND the person cannot cross the seal.

My interpretation is that immortality was intended for the grail's protectors, not everyone. Drinking it provides healing powers, but not immortality.

The Knights brought the grail to where God intended it to stay, and we're given that power as long as it stayed.

28. thegreatgalling

:thumbsup

EDIT: haha. Above was a glitch from my Iphone that double posted for some reason. I guess Siri agreed with me. I left it because that was too funny.

29. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This...

...and this.

He didn't need to. Drinking from the Grail sustained him. (And his faith, I guess, as that is probably a prerequisite for the Grail to work.)

30. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

It's made very clear at the beginning. The 2 brothers walk out of the desert hundreds of years later but only one of them made it and "before dying of extreme old age" told the story to the franciscan friar. There is still aging while drinking but it keeps you healthy. I'm sure the Knight in the Temple was much younger looking the first time he drank from the grail.

31. Treadwell

Yes, I agree, or maybe slows aging waaay down but doesn't stop it (he was what, a thousand years old at that point?). Or he wasn't drinking it often enough. Tired of having to pee.

32. Too Much Garlic

Maybe that was what was in the pool... old pee.

33. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

So, MY arguement about this film...why did the grail work before they wound up there and constructed that temple? Why there? Did they suddenly decide the grail was too powerful and retcon'd it? :lol

34. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

It's warrenty was about to run out.

35. Treadwell

Joseph of Arimathea: "I treasure this vessel since it was used by our Lord, but I wonder what it might be capable of if I drink water from it taken from a spring in a cave in a crescent-shaped canyon due east from an oasis near a mountain near a city?"

36. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Immortality didn't work past the seal? Well, that makes stopping the germans entirely pointless.

37. thegreatgalling

In the classic tales, Sir Arthur's Kight, Galahad, (sometimes Lancelot, and sometimes all the Knights of the Round Table) see an ethereal vision of the Grail. This usually provides its location. Typically, three of the Knights go on the quest, which this tale was strongly based on. Here, however, one of the Knights was named Sir Richard, and the other two were his brothers, separating it from Aurthur Grail lore.

I always assumed these brothers would be guided by visions. Namely where the Grail is, and where it should rest.

I do wish that the Knight was Sir. Galahad of the original legend, as that would have been really cool. For whatever reason, Spielberg changed the names of the Knights. If they were Round Table Knights, Merlin also has visions which help them find the Grail.

38. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, What did he eat ?
    Also, Did he have an endless supply of fuel for the lamps ?

39. Treadwell

:eek Good point!

40. Too Much Garlic

Past the seal and the temple falls down around you... no mention that it wouldn't actually stop working outside the seal. + at that time in the story, it was more a spiritual quest for Indy rather than a physical object and whether he'd be able to let go of his quest.

Though, IF it stopped working past the seal, it wasn't until talking with the knight that Indy actually learned that... up until then it was like the quest for the Ark, thinking it was functional if you took possession of it... and at the time he actually hear about not taking it past the seal it was no longer to beat the Germans as much as saving his father.

But... none of the people actually drinking from it never really gained immortality... they just lived longer than normal people and were healed from ailments. So, the immortality label on the thing seems like an exaggeration or a wives tale added on top.

41. Treadwell

Well, of course they didn't know it was pointless, but it turned out it was.

42. Too Much Garlic

Yeah, talk about being let down by reality compared to the fantasy of the grail and what it could do.

43. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Wasn't he eaten by a giant squid while looking for Atlantis?

Rich

44. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I don't know. I'm not familiar with all the IJ adventures except for the films and a couple of the junior novels I read back when I was in middle school (one of them having Indy on the Titanic when he was a little kid).

45. Ford W Maverick

I don't think the power of the Grail is tied to the seal, it's just that the Grail crossing the seal triggers the building to collapse and if you're in there with the building collapsing and you don't get out in time, yer kinda screwed. Tons of stone falling on your head is probably deadly even if you're carrying the Grail. Unless it was full of water, but I'd imagine it's not easy to run flat out through a collapsing temple without spilling all the water.

Anyway, I figure if you DID get the Grail out of the temple it would probably work. Thing is though, you would have had to have known how to get in there to get the thing and then successfully escape with it. Who knows? The Grail diary might have explained how to remove the Grail without the building collapsing, but they didn't have time to look it up.

In essence, getting out of the temple is another test, like the ones to get in.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  46. JRHermle

JRHermle New Member

In the novelization, it's explained that you have to drink from the Grail every day to remain immortal. The knight guarding the grail had aged because sometimes his "spirit faltered" and he didn't drink from the grail. He aged a year for each day he did not drink. Which is how the brothers would have died from extreme old age when the arrived back in civilization.

But since it's not said in the movie...

47. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

1) Who's to say Henry Jones is ACTUALLY dead? Immortality would, logically, necessitate an occasionally death fakery so that no one notices - even to the point of fooling your own son.

2) The grail, and drinking from the grail, etc. is all symbolism of the Christian faith - everlasting life is everlasting spiritual life. Drinking from the false cup represents a shallow or false faith and leads to eternal death. Drinking from the true cup represents an understanding of who Jesus was. The water and drinking from the grail represent the spring of life Jesus talked with the Samaritan woman about.

Having said that, Indy (and Henry) had to show a certain amount of faith (I always thought that, even had Donovan actually drank from the correct cup, his lack of true faith would have taken it from him anyway.

3) Regarding the Submarine: U boats were never meant to operate under water for long periods of time. Some could, but they weren't submarines in the sense of the modern navy, they were more like surface boats that COULD go underwater (especially as a means of escape or attack).

48. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I know this thread was put to rest, but I was wanted to let you know I just rewatched it on SyFy and that's is what the Knight said. In fact, it's quoted on the IMDb:

"You have chosen... wisely. But, beware: the Grail cannot pass beyond the Great Seal, for that is the boundry, and the price, of immortality. "

So, the moment that the Grail went past the seal, the temple fell apart. The moment that Indy and Henry Snr. went past it, they were no longer immortal (remember: Indy drank from the Grail. Any assumption that Henry Snr. would be immotral would also have to apply to Indy by the fact that he drank from it). As a result, it leading to Henry Snr. eventually growing old and dying, and Indiana eventually grew old himself.

So, not really a plot hole, just a misinterpretation of events from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

49. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

^^ you beat me to it. I've always accepted that explanation. :thumbsup

50. sleepalot

sleepalot Active Member

Maybe he learned how to eat dirt