Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

The front plackets and epaulettes on the shoulders are what defines the shirt as a safari shirt and instantly scream adventure, if even on a subscious level.

It doesn't have the epaulettes? I hadn't noticed that yet. If that's the case, that'd be a bit strange I guess. But it'd feel a bit more modern, which may be a reason to remove them.

I was as bothered by the hat as you are at first. But in more recent pictures I think it looks ok. I consider Raiders and Crusade the best versions of the hat, but I can see this one like an approximation in the range of Temple of Doom for my taste. Good enough.

Perhaps the most negative way to look at this is that, if changes like no holster, different shirt and pants are indeed an attempt to make Indy's look more appropriate to the time period, right now it feels kind of like a half-assed attempt. Or like them wanting to have it both ways: "let's change the costume, but keep it the same!" Thus why I mentioned being bolder earlier. I like how in early explorations for The Force Awakens they considered giving Han Solo a duster jacket. It'd keep with the cowboy imagery, but it would've felt right for an older version of the character. Instead, they ended up dressing him pretty much the same as before, and that just made him look like a 65 year old wearing his high school quarterback uniform. A similar solution could've been found for an older Indy perhaps.

Last edited:
I think the new shirt does have the epaulettes. I was just saying those and the front plackets are what defines the shirt as a safari shirt, which we subconsciously identify with jungles and adventure, as well as what would be mostly correct for the period.

I see what you mean about Indy's costume changing with regards to other adventure themed styles of clothing with either an omission or addition. I always thought it would be cool to see him with a machete because if you're treking through the jungle, what better tool to hack away at the underbrush? A set of binoculars perhaps? Or instead of a leather jacket he has another type of clothing item. I'm not too knowledgable about the fashion of that era but I understand your reasoning for variations in the costume.

I think the other thing it brings to mind is the era that the movie takes place. It's been mentioned before that since a good portion of the film happens during the late 1960's then most of the world was known at that point and it's hard to have the same feel of a largely undiscovered landscape with which to explore. It shifts the tone of the story simply because of the era when it takes place.

I think the other thing it brings to mind is the era that the movie takes place. It's been mentioned before that since a good portion of the film happens during the late 1960's then most of the world was known at that point and it's hard to have the same feel of a largely undiscovered landscape with which to explore. It shifts the tone of the story simply because of the era when it takes place.

This, however, is interesting thematically if you're gonna have an older Indiana Jones as your main character. What's his place in the world now? It doesn't belong to him anymore. Unfortunately that was already explored in Crystal Skull, particularly during the opening sequence and to a lesser extent the rest of the first act, so not sure what else is there to say there. Add this as likely another reason why Spielberg wasn't interested in the film anymore.

And yep, the costume can and should reflect the character's point in life, era and further narrative context. Harrison Ford's cameo in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was another interesting example: by just having him with his Fugitive beard, and wearing a sweater under his jacket, it already looked like that wasn't exactly the same Indiana Jones from the original trilogy without breaking the character look at all.

I really think he should be wearing WWII surplus clothes at this point. Mustard wool combat trousers look great with brown leather and a fedora. And surplus uniforms were cheap and everywhere for decades. I was buying surplus wool shirts and trousers for $10 each as late as 2005. They're extremely well made. Nothing better for adventuring.

I just think he's become a cartoon character at this point. I'd like to see him change it up a little.

Here in LA up to the late 80's you could find WW2 and Korea/Vietnam era US military surplus all over. If memory serves during the first Gulf War US troops were still using Vietnam era surplus gear in some instances. Western Surplus in Hawthorne used to have a back room with boxes of random surplus gear. M65 field jackets were $5, steel buckets with liners were $2, tanker jackets were $5.... they also used to have 55 gallon drums sitting at the entrance full of k98's and M1's for about $20 and up. no paper work and no waiting lists. just grab and go. I still believe the surplus store in Commando was based on Western Surplus.

Or if they did a different costume why not a modified WWII Surplus gear? Just like his standard costume has a bomber type jacket without the elastic cuff, so it's the same style but modified slightly. That could be kind of cool.

If any of the rumors are true I hope it never gets finished and never sees the light of day.

Indy rode off into the sunset. End of story.
At this point I don't particularly care which of the rumors are true and which aren't. With all of the problems they've had and this being Disney's first time at the helm, I'll be very surprised if whatever they come up with is watchable at all.

A big modern tentpole movie that doesn't have main characters wearing CGI costumes? It's probably watchable at least once in the theater.

The questions are, #1 is it an Indy movie? And #2, am I still happy it exists afterwards?

Maybe I missed the announcement, but I just found out today that Antonio Banderas is going to be in Indiana Jones 5??? :oops: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

Disney is setting up Zorro to return to the big screen with an Indiana Jones | Zorro crossover.
HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
HAhahahahaha!!
Hehehe...
Hehe........

5v1l0a.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back