Inconel Replica of Balance Pipe/Emitter for Ben Kenobi's Saber, ANH

travellingsax

Hey there folks! I hope my first post here doesn't read as overly green.

I have the opportunity to have a emitter(s) made inspired by the Derwent Mk8/9 female balance pipes CNC'd in actual Inconel, and there a few things I'd like to know from you all before I make final arrangements.

The exact alloy of Inconel (ie. 600, 718, etc.) in the original is of great interest as I have a choice in that matter. I can't find any data on this point, so I’ll have to take a shot in the dark without a material sample to scan.

EDIT: Note, I do not intend to step on Roman Empire’s toes doing a recast. This project and the post you’re reading really is for my own sake in the effort to acquire the shared community knowledge on this part.

I took my measurements from an older Roman's BP and made some small adjustments based on my subjective view of photo reference, but I would like to get as close as possible to the original.
Attached: WIP complete model
Screenshot 2022-07-01 172545.png

To sign off, I leave you with further visual aid.
(Attached: WIP of the two pieces of the complete assembly [yes there will be holes :p])
outerflange.png
innerbody_NOHOLES.png

Thanks all and happy making!

Last edited:
DaveP is tackling this project, he will be using accurate original materials and I believe he has access to some of the original engineering documentation for the part (that he cannot share unfortunately):

So as it stands... this potential run will be copies of my Balance Pipe?? But with "tweaks"...? :unsure:
Scandalous!

I took measurements from an old Roman's BP and made some small adjustments based on photo reference, but I would like to get as close as possible.
Reverse engineering other hobbyists work is wrong.
Someone who takes shortcuts like you have doesn’t embody confidence or honesty. Poor form.

So as it stands... this potential run will be copies of my Balance Pipe?? But with "tweaks"...? :unsure:

Without an original balance pipe - this is clear as day recasting.

I applaud the ambition to make one, but there are several well known members (DaveP, SP Sabers) who plan on doing the exact same.

Even if you laser scanned, you'll find that to replicate it exactly you'll have to have a custom alloy smelted. This will cost an absolute fortune.

I have the opportunity to have copies of the Derwent Mk8/9 female balance pipes CNC'd in actual Inconel, and there a few things I'd like to know from you all before I make final arrangements.

The exact alloy of Inconel (ie. 600, 718, etc.) in the original is of great interest as I have a choice in that matter. I can't find any data on this point, so I can either take a shot in the dark or, if I had a material sample, I have the equipment necessary to laser gun it and read its composition. Yes, that's an APB on a loaner balance pipe female or male, for the sake of critical historical documentation, of course. I can provide collateral if necessary.

Also, I would like to verify the measurements on my CAD model with someone who has a real one. I took measurements from an old Roman's BP and made some small adjustments based on photo reference, but I would like to get as close as possible. I can also observe based on different photo references that chamfers and bevels and all the little details can vary somewhat from part to part, probably due to whoever was deburring that day I would guess.
Attached: WIP complete model
View attachment 1593908

Finally, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in buying copies of these. These will be made as close to the original process as possible, including the two-piece assembly between the inner and outer flanges. This is to account for maximum compatibility with whatever adapters or formats have been developed for the real deals over the years. Knowing what kind of market projections there could be will help when I approach my contact with the proposal. I can just make it for me, but I'd love to share out my work into the world. As far as I know, we'll be the first making real Inconel replicas provided my supplier accepts.

To sign off, I leave you with further visual aid.
(Attached: WIP of the two pieces of the complete assembly [yes there will be holes])
View attachment 1593916View attachment 1593917

Thanks all and happy makin
If I do a run, which isn’t my focus, then yes I suppose so. I acquired one of yours third party. It was the starting reference I had, a fact that I wanted to be up front about. I’m not sure how to get any closer to true accuracy than what is apparently already very close. I made adjustments based on my own visual opinion alone. Perhaps that would make it uninteresting for others, in which case I would make only a couple for myself. Hope I’m not committing some transgression, ultimately!

Without an original balance pipe - this is clear as day recasting.

I applaud the ambition to make one, but there are several well known members (DaveP, SP Sabers) who plan on doing the exact same.

Even if you laser scanned, you'll find that to replicate it exactly you'll have to have a custom alloy smelted. This will cost an absolute fortune.
You don’t think the original material is a commonly accessible/buyable Inconel alloy?

Perhaps I’m not sensitive to the concept of a recast. I understand fully why it would be a problem.

You don’t think the original material is a commonly accessible/buyable Inconel alloy?

Perhaps I’m not sensitive to the concept of a recast. I understand fully why it would be a problem

Definitely not. The materials Rolls used (and still used) where not common and were/are kept under wraps. The materials used are the key to better performance. Even now, these alloys are such specific materials they're not commonly sourced - they have to be incredibly specific to the customers requirements and as a result they are very expensive. A plain Alloy might be a bit cheaper, but most likely not 'exact'.

I’ve edited my post. I have mo interest in treading over ground that isn’t mine and creating a ripoff of Romans’ work! I just want to make the best balance pipe I possibly can for myself. My questions about the original part still stand if anyone is interested in sharing, which was the primary purpose of my OP. :) thanks all

Gotcha, well I am glad to have been corrected and should clarify that it really wasn’t the main focus of my post.
I’m glad to see you took heed and averted what would undoubtedly be a banable offense.
No malice was intended, and I see you know that. My suggestion would be to pause for a bit and see if Dave’s parts run scratches your itch for a balance pipe replica. Having a handful made for yourself would cost nearly as much as the real thing.

I’m glad to see you took heed and averted what would undoubtedly be a banable offense.
No malice was intended, and I see you know that. My suggestion would be to pause for a bit and see if Dave’s parts run scratches your itch for a balance pipe replica. Having a handful made for yourself would cost nearly as much as the real thing.
I am highly interested in Dave’s and am watching. I should specify, my contact for making these is a personal one and won’t cost me any money, and material is not just whatever can be bought on the internet. Trying not to be too mysterious but I don’t want to give up someone else’s info.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back