Inception snow costume - info shared and needed

ozarkscout

Hello, all.

I am in love with the military-style snow costumes that Cobb and crew wear during the dream sequence in Inception. I have been researching this for some time and have some info to share. I'd also like to ask for any help if anyone else has been pursuing this to compare notes.

I have positively identified the goggles (both men's and women's), gloves, radios and machine gun, and have found a boot that's close but not exact. I have had no luck on the jackets, pants, rucksack, beanie and other costume components, and I suspect they may be custom pieces. I have checked military snow camo and skiing / snowboarding clothes and can't even find the base of something that was later modded.

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

1. Men's Goggles

The men's goggle is the Anon Figment. The black logo has been removed from the plastic and the headband has been replaced with some white elastic.

anonfigment.jpg

inception-0804-full.jpg

2. Women's Goggles

The women's goggle (worn only by Ellen Page's character Ariadne) is the Anon Majestic, with similar mods as the men's version.

anonmajestic.jpg

ellenpage_inceptiongoggles.jpg

3. Gloves

The gloves are the white Burton RPM Leather snowboard gloves, with the logo (rather crudely) cut out. The gloves are visible in the screen cap of Eames in the "Machine Gun" section below.

11BU61.jpg

4. Radio

The radio is the Yaesu FT-270 with the shoulder mic attachment, both painted white.

yaesu-ft-270_lrg.jpg

4819249623_b0d5abcdcf_o.jpg

5. Machine Gun

The machine gun carried by Tom Hardy's character Eames is the Sig-Sauer 552 Commando. It has been painted white and the stock and magazine have been wrapped with white cloth and/or tape. There are excellent Airsoft replicas of this gun available.

Stgw_90_kurz.jpg

inception-0744-full.jpg

6. Boots

Here's where it gets a bit sketchy. The closest I've been able to find are the white Kamik Canuck boots. The soles do not appear to be screen-accurate but they'd certainly be passable for a costume with the red embroidered logo stitching removed.

81PdgC8BdnL_SL1500_.jpg

inception-0948-full-1.jpg

7. Jacket Detail

As I said before, I can't locate the jacket, but I did discover that the rather unique hardware on the front is called a "hook-and-dee" closure and it is common on firefighting jackets. The U.S. supplier is Custom Metal Crafters, model Z-701.

701.jpg

Well, that's all I have. Any help from other fans of this great costume would be much appreciated... cheers!

Re: Inception snow costume - info shared and neede

Thanks for the post :)
I've been trying to look up some of the stuff used in theses scenes too.

The wrap that goes around the guns is called camo wrap. It's essential a camo pattern ace bandage, it sticks to itself. It's only a few bucks a roll but I've never seen pure white. I'm sure an actual white ace bandage would do the trick.

My favorite movie ever, and one of the best scenes in it! I like the white leather vests some of the characters have for sure.

Loved the movie, own it on DVD, but did anyone else find Ellen Page spectacularly unconvincing as either a commando or "office girl" in the skirt suit?

Otherwise she was fine, but I query the choices here.

I liked the snow part of the movie the best.

I think I had a pair of snow boots like the screen used ones, but they were black.

I got a question, anyone know what kind of thermal/waffle shirt Cillian Murphy has in this picture?
It has a very interesting collar design. Custom made for the movie?

Inception_Cillian_Murphy.png

The jacket and pants were completely custom made by the company that constructs our licensed Star Trek outfits. I can ask them if they based it off of another found jacket the next time I speak with or see them.

The jacket and pants were completely custom made by the company that constructs our licensed Star Trek outfits. I can ask them if they based it off of another found jacket the next time I speak with or see them.

Any luck finding out about these jackets?

Last edited:
This is fantastic! I love this look, and my wife wants a set as well!
I've tracked down the hook &dee from CMC; yes, you can order them there, but the minimum order quantity is 500 units. I e-mailed them, and they suggested that I check with Ohio Travel Bag. OTB sells it as part #c-1460, but they are also a wholesaler and only sell business to business. They have a sister company that sells to the public, though, so if you request a quote from OTB they will set up a quote through and direct you to their sister company.

Does anyone know of a good place to order the gloves? Most sites I find them on, they are sold out...

If you havent tried, just google search for surplus military snow gear, specifically Italian, Swiss, Greek, ect.

I have tried all of the above some time ago and nothing comes close to what was in the movie. The military winter camo tends to be very thin and baggy, because it is worn over warm clothing rather than itself being very insulating.

I think they may be Sorels. They may come white, or painted, or special order. The womens winter boots come in white, but the toe is different.

EDIT: Bingo! Searched for sorel glacier white.

White Sorel Glacier Pack-boots - AVOW Classifieds

sorels_800.jpg

Good find on the boots... I have some screen caps that suggest there may have been a couple of different styles used, and I'm not sure these are 100% accurate, but they are definitely closer to accurate than the Kamik boots I found above. Thanks for the contribution!

This is fantastic! I love this look, and my wife wants a set as well!
I've tracked down the hook &dee from CMC; yes, you can order them there, but the minimum order quantity is 500 units. I e-mailed them, and they suggested that I check with Ohio Travel Bag. OTB sells it as part #c-1460, but they are also a wholesaler and only sell business to business. They have a sister company that sells to the public, though, so if you request a quote from OTB they will set up a quote through and direct you to their sister company.

Does anyone know of a good place to order the gloves? Most sites I find them on, they are sold out...

Thanks for the info on the hook supplier... the gloves may be tough because they are the 2010 style and the shops are now stocking the 2012 style. I got mine from firststopboardbarn.com in July 2011... you might contact them to see if they have any of the old style in inventory.

Good find on the boots... I have some screen caps that suggest there may have been a couple of different styles used, and I'm not sure these are 100% accurate, but they are definitely closer to accurate than the Kamik boots I found above. Thanks for the contribution!

..you´re right. some of the boots have black soles ;-)

cheers

ib

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back