In search of Dawn of Justice Cowl / Comicstyle Cowl

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Albuin

Hello everybody!
This year the official Comic Con comes the first time to Vienna Austria and I want to finish up my Batman costume for it! Most parts of the suit are ready but I need a cowl for it. I allredy got a TDK cowl and I love it but it does not fit the style I'm looking for.

So I wanted to ask you for some help. I know the big guys like reevzfx, Tundra Designs and Gauntlet FX but they are a little bit to expensive for me or the waiting time it to long. So my question is, who else sells Batman cowls in DoJ/Comicstyle for 24" heads?

Thanks!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

drftfan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have no interest in DOJ as far as pieces and I simply do not care who you want to give your money to. But this is a fact.
Reevz has spent over a year sculpting and refining his cowl. He paid attention every single little detail to get it right. He even stopped at one point to allow better images to come out. You will genuinely not find anyone who was more dedicated to making sure a cowl was more accurate than Shawn. It is worth the money and is worth the wait. And he doesn't price gouge based upon demand.

reaton89

I'm working on 1 but it's not quite done yet done. The last 3 posters are right. I don't know about their prices, but Reevzfx and Artsee1 are the best out there right now. I used a lot of Reevz pics, and Artsee1's videos as reference for mine, before the all of the recent/ official stuff dropped.

Mr Mold Maker

Sr Member
Reevz is a fantastic choice. Probably the best BVS cowl out there at the moment.

The only problem I have with every BVS cowl replica made to date is the improper texture. The film cowl has a very heavy leather like texture that no one has gotten right yet.

Last edited:

reaton89

Reevz is a fantastic choice. Probably the best BVS cowl out there at the moment.

The only problem I have with every BVS cowl replica made to date is the improper texture. The film cowl has a very heavy leather like texture that no one has gotten right yet.
Here's what I'm going for. I think paint is just as crucial as texture. The sheen is dull. Batman doesn't want a bunch of reflective light bouncing off of his face as he prowls in the night. :ninja
IMG_7299.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Mold Maker

Sr Member
Here's what I'm going for. I think paint is just as crucial as texture. The sheen is dull. Batman doesn't want a bunch of reflective light bouncing off of his face as he prowls in the night. :ninja
View attachment 503365
57oC1ve.png

Here is a great example of what I meant. The cowl has a very heavy leather like texture throughout. It isn't really a stippled on texture, as much as a cross hatching pattern. Don Lanning popularized it as the "Power of the X."

BatmanALL

When I look at some of the things I see offered on therpf or when people quote project costs back to subscribers, it seems very expensive. Are college kids able to replicate and or purchase these things?
I was in college when I started up in this hobby. Yes, I worked my butt off, wore my shoes until they soles fell off but I saved my money for my batman gear. So to answer your question.... no, college KIDS can't afford it.

Now an adult, who is in college, who works his/her butt off making money and being responsible with a budget, well, yes... they will probably be able to afford it.

dmb1511

I was in college when I started up in this hobby. Yes, I worked my butt off, wore my shoes until they soles fell off but I saved my money for my batman gear. So to answer your question.... no, college KIDS can't afford it.

Now an adult, who is in college, who works his/her butt off making money and being responsible with a budget, well, yes... they will probably be able to afford it.
Thanks, so it took some time right?

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
@reaton89 That's one awesome looking sculpt :thumbsup

Regarding the price of these things, dmb1511, you'll find out soon enough that in this hobby, no accurate replica of anything is going to be cheap, they're all made by hands by hobbyists, artists, who spent hours, days, sometimes years replicating them, so yes, the prices match the work. You'll rarely find any licensed commercial replicas looking as good as what is made here, and if you do, it's most likely be in the same price range despite being made in bulks and thus cheaper for the companies.

So as for everything else in life, you can afford it provided you manage to save your money for it. How much time is going to take depends on how much money you can save every month !

Last edited by a moderator: