In search of Dawn of Justice Cowl / Comicstyle Cowl

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Albuin, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Albuin

Albuin Member

Hello everybody!
    This year the official Comic Con comes the first time to Vienna Austria and I want to finish up my Batman costume for it! Most parts of the suit are ready but I need a cowl for it. I allredy got a TDK cowl and I love it but it does not fit the style I'm looking for.

So I wanted to ask you for some help. I know the big guys like reevzfx, Tundra Designs and Gauntlet FX but they are a little bit to expensive for me or the waiting time it to long. So my question is, who else sells Batman cowls in DoJ/Comicstyle for 24" heads?

Thanks!

2. Vox

Vox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Reevzfx just finished his and from what I have seen is top notch Compared to others out there.

4. drftfan

drftfan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have no interest in DOJ as far as pieces and I simply do not care who you want to give your money to. But this is a fact.
    Reevz has spent over a year sculpting and refining his cowl. He paid attention every single little detail to get it right. He even stopped at one point to allow better images to come out. You will genuinely not find anyone who was more dedicated to making sure a cowl was more accurate than Shawn. It is worth the money and is worth the wait. And he doesn't price gouge based upon demand.

5. BatmanALL

BatmanALL Active Member

NOMAD202 and VaultUK like this.
  6. reaton89

reaton89 Active Member

I'm working on 1 but it's not quite done yet done. The last 3 posters are right. I don't know about their prices, but Reevzfx and Artsee1 are the best out there right now. I used a lot of Reevz pics, and Artsee1's videos as reference for mine, before the all of the recent/ official stuff dropped.

TigerStoneFX and BatmanALL like this.
  7. BatmanALL

BatmanALL Active Member

Reaton89, your cowl is coming along great!!!!

reaton89 likes this.
  8. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Reevz is a fantastic choice. Probably the best BVS cowl out there at the moment.

The only problem I have with every BVS cowl replica made to date is the improper texture. The film cowl has a very heavy leather like texture that no one has gotten right yet.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    reaton89 and TigerStoneFX like this.
  9. reaton89

reaton89 Active Member

Here's what I'm going for. I think paint is just as crucial as texture. The sheen is dull. Batman doesn't want a bunch of reflective light bouncing off of his face as he prowls in the night. :ninja
    IMG_7299.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  10. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

57oC1ve.png

Here is a great example of what I meant. The cowl has a very heavy leather like texture throughout. It isn't really a stippled on texture, as much as a cross hatching pattern. Don Lanning popularized it as the "Power of the X."

11. dmb1511

dmb1511 New Member

[Deleted/Withdrawn]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  12. Solefreak88

Solefreak88 Active Member

Yeah, by saving money.

13. dmb1511

dmb1511 New Member

So, no?

14. Solefreak88

Solefreak88 Active Member

I don't get what your actually asking?

15. BatmanALL

BatmanALL Active Member

I was in college when I started up in this hobby. Yes, I worked my butt off, wore my shoes until they soles fell off but I saved my money for my batman gear. So to answer your question.... no, college KIDS can't afford it.

Now an adult, who is in college, who works his/her butt off making money and being responsible with a budget, well, yes... they will probably be able to afford it.

16. dmb1511

dmb1511 New Member

Thanks, so it took some time right?

17. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

@reaton89 That's one awesome looking sculpt :thumbsup

Regarding the price of these things, dmb1511, you'll find out soon enough that in this hobby, no accurate replica of anything is going to be cheap, they're all made by hands by hobbyists, artists, who spent hours, days, sometimes years replicating them, so yes, the prices match the work. You'll rarely find any licensed commercial replicas looking as good as what is made here, and if you do, it's most likely be in the same price range despite being made in bulks and thus cheaper for the companies.

So as for everything else in life, you can afford it provided you manage to save your money for it. How much time is going to take depends on how much money you can save every month !

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  18. dmb1511

dmb1511 New Member

Thanks guys, that was kind of a dumb question.