Improving On the Grusderk System

if you guys could pull it off I'm sure you'll have like a million predator costume guys banging on your door for it good luck
can't wait till you do it XD

Hey Guys and Gal,
I am a bit new here but figured I would throw out a suggestion. Servos from a Rc plane to control the mandibles. you could install them remotely behind the head in the crown and run a string to the armatures with guide pullies. then install foam around the servo to dampen noise. have a adjustable jaw that sits on a pivot and and is controlled by the wearer. during normal speech the mandibles don't activate but when the jaw is opened to a customizable point the servo activates opening the mandibles.

it could be a simple contact point like a light switch or a button that is set by the user. The harness can be a simple strapping system around the head that holds the top of the mask in place and has a padded hard point at the back to mount the servo. Wrap the servo in a small molded box then with a thin sound dampener like dyno-mat should mask the noise of the servo operation. to save on weight the battery can be remote mounted on the body and operate the arm blades with another servo.

then it would be a simple matter of creating hard points around the face to mount the pullies. one good rc servo can put out significant torque and the throw or length of pull is completely customisable and they are cheap.

Well let me know what you think.

Happy Hunting,
Darth Datilis

If you came up with a decent enough mechanism that is affordable , you would find many people here interested, currently i think only Alan makes any sort of servo setup.
Making the mask fully animatronic, is partly the reason my next mask will be silicone, i can keep the shape of the head with a resin/plastic understructure and have room for the servos.

on a side note, pop into the intro thred and say hello, its kind of good manners to do so
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...&start=1680

Once you intoduce servos, you need the controller for them. If a microcontroller like the Arduino is used (Like Honus' castor build) then cost would be kept lower with that. I haven't had good success programming for servos like Honus has.

If a jaw mechanism is setup with some sort of potentiometer that would be the input for the microcontroller to move the servos. The movement might need to stay simple to be effective. I think a solid servo setup used with a microcontroller would fit fine in a mask. You'd just need a remote battery.

Back to the simple side, if a generic faceplate were able to have the right strap adjustment, I don't see why the Grusderk System wouldn't still work fine. 'The Pros' use a custom fitted face to fit perfect. Adjustable straps would allow for different head shapes so that the movement would work.

Im in agreement ..the strapping method is what really needs improvement on the Grusderk method (that and the right mask) Grusderks main problem is the force needed to operate the jaws sat firmly on the face. You can only imagine what that felt like on the bridge of you nose after only a few times opening and closing ( even with padding). I still believe that a system which places needed force on the top of your head ( like a hat) and a chin like strap ( like a football helmet) may be better. Servos are a whole other monster ..I would really like to see someone perfect the operator worn mask

I'm going with a small plate that can be fixed inside the front of the mask. Still going with cable manual controls that way nothing to fail, no batteries. I'm just waiting for my mask to arrive so I can get the proper dimensions on the inside of the mask. I think the K.I.S.S. theory is really best here. If someone wants to get send me some pics of the inside of the front of their mask and the measurements I will start the plate now. Other than that it will wait until mine arrives next week.

You can lower your cost considerably by canabalizing a $25.00 New Bright RC Truck available here in the States at most WalMart and Toys-R-US retail stores. They come with a mini wireless controller and a small two channel receiver that with minimal effort can be modified to control any number of servo. Most masks I encounter are cast so thick, you only need the servo to open outward or pull back, the masks elasticity typically pulls the fangs back to the position you just pulled them from. You can easily modify the controller to fit into your gauntlet or belt. In my most recent build, I replace the transmitter's slide switches with contact switches and embedded them into my right gloves fingertips, after waterproofing them. The entire set up is wireless. So, non noticeable taps of my right hands fingers control the upper fang pull backs and lower outer mandibular spreading. My actual jaw opens and closes the masks true inner mouth jaw. Grusderks mask is pretty wild, however I was always put off though, by the wearer's inability to manipulate the fangs and mandibles while keeping the inner jaw/mouth closed. Just my 2 cents! Pete Mander originally gave me the idea to use the inexpensive RC toys transmitter and receiver and I have to say, it's works like a charm! Years ago I was fortunate enough to pick up an unfinished P1 fully animatronic rig created by Pete. He had built it and installed and wired 7 servos, they controlled browe pull up and down, upper fang pull back and lower outer mandibular spreading with independent fang extension as they spread (so the lower mandibles open out and fully extend). To date, it's the most anyone of us has ever animated a mask. It is truly work of art. Pete and I share a facination of animatronics, and I consider him a friend and colleague. When I received the mask, I needed to add a power supply, receiver and transmitter. I had it up and running in about three hours. I sold that rig a few years ago to a fellow Lair member. In the years since then, I have resculpted the fibreglass underskull that Pete originally designed, based on the Gillis/Giler AVP rig, to a more generic shape so it fits under a wider variety of the masks in my personal collection. Here are some shots of Pete's original rig, hope they help...

10c1.jpg

new3a.jpg

asa.jpg

Kindest Regards,

Alan

10c1.jpg

new3a.jpg

asa.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back