Impossible to make accurate tk armor using pepakura?

bigtrev503

I am on a tight budget, and was wondering about going the pepakura route for my tk costume. I joined my local garrison of the 501st, in order to figure out how members typically build their armor. The leader said that it typically isn't done using pepakura and it had to be purchased. This didn't sound right to me considering all the wonderful things I've seen done with pepakura. I then went and searched the 405th for info during my search to find any evidence of a tk build using pep. I found something interesting while I was there. It seems there is some kind feud between avid halo and stormtrooper builders, which was interesting, but still didn't help me find evidence of a pep tk build. I'm wondering if it is a sense of traditionalism that is keeping people from using pepakura, or if it its actually inferior to vacu- formed armor both accuracy and cost wise?
As a struggling college student should I try to make a SA from pepakura or buy it outright?
I'm really wondering what is the most cost effective option while still maintaining a much accuracy as possible.

I started out modeling my armor out of oil based clay and went through the process of casting positive and negative molds and vac forming my helmet came out good but its was so hard to get everything proportionate.. or i just really suck at clay sculpting. I wish i would have started out with a pep helmet witch I'm in the process of doing now cause it gives you a great foundation to work with and as far as accuracy goes that all in your bondo and the amount of time your willing to put into it... pep is cheaper to start out with but if you want nice armor your gonna spend a good chunk of money one way or the other. I'm a broke ass college student too so i feel your pain.. good luck. I'll upload photos of my first attempt i photo documented the whole thing that way you don't make the same mistakes i made and waste ALOT of time and money

I say make it anyone can buy armor even if it looks like **** wear it proudly

From what I understand, its hard to get pep'd Storm trooper armor approved for the 501st, It would have to be exact, and to their specs, If you feel confident that you can build it out of pep with good results then try it, You will need to be good with working with bondo, sanding, working with resin and fiberglass. I want to build Trooper armor myself but I will not go the pep route, I built a complete Halo set of armor from pep and I know to achive the results I was looking for, it did cost quite a bit, especially time, the sanding dust and all the mistakes along the way, I did manage to get my build in the Elite section on the 405th, but it was alot of work, and from all the work involved with pep I would rather go the vac form route its alot easier to deal with, most of the hard work is done for you. I can say that building it out of pep and getting 501st approved would be a great sense of accomplishment Good luck on which ever route you choose, but either way you choose its going to cost $$$$$ in the end

I built my Trooper lid from Household Crap and I think it turned out pretty good. I started on the TK Armour using the same method but I just found it to very quickly become heavy. I've put up a couple of pics of the chest plate here and I apologise for their size, but it does, again illustrate that you CAN build armour accurately AND cheaply. The bondo was left over from my Helmet build so this chest plate cost nothing. It's just papier Mache over cereal box card, and bondo on the front and it's pretty rigid. I hasten to add that it isn't finished! lol! I hope that helps....:)

GEDC0738.jpg

GEDC0739.jpg

Last edited:
it boggles me that with all the wonderful iron man costumes out there, there isn't a complete build with pictures that I can find. Contec, I have been following that build that you linked. However, he isn't finished and he says he's redoing pieces left and right.
My real goal is to get the hard plastic armor parts. As far as boots, undersuit, neck seal, gloves, and strapping. I can figure those out myself. I just need armor that's cheap, yet accurate enough to pass standards.

What would be a realistic choice for that? I'll deal with the "soft" parts myself.

What is the cheapest, passable (501st approveable) armor? You guys are the costume gods, so I really appreciate any feedback with open arms and ears. You're my heroes!

I've been staring at the star wars pepakura development thread for a week. That's what sparked me to begin this project. I just need to make sure I can find the cheapest route. We're talking extreme budget status.

You are going to spend more on the pep'd armour in $$$ and time...read the below thread from the FISD....I made it for under 1K...

Indeed, especially now that more budget friendly alternatives are becoming available as well. In the end with everything you need, a Stormtrooper is still going to be a somewhat expensive costume if you intend for it meet 501st muster.

My best advice to those looking to join the 501st on a budget is to start with the crewman costume. It's simple yet "recognizable enough" and can be done well on the really cheap. It's also a great base costume that can used for at least three more variations like the tie-pilot, gunner and navy trooper(of which at least the latter two don't need to cost much in addition either).

Holy crap! Are you saying $1000 is going the cheap route? Sorry, I'm just really getting an accurate estimate or ballpark figure for "cheapest, yet most accurate with time, patience and effort"

I really should have named this thread "how do I build an accurate stormtrooper the cheapest?"

My budget is maybe 100 every couple months, depending on circumstance. I will do it piece by piece since that is all I can afford. Honestly I don't know what the budget will be until I know the cost. Then I will adjust my time and money accordingly. So far I have a 96 e 11 toy blaster from star tours. I plan to mod it. I also have a toy clone helmet which I plan to gut for electronics. Ambitious and lengthy is what this build will be.

Im also a broke ass college student, but I got my armor off eBay untrimmed for $270, and maybe spent another $100 finishing it and buying all the soft parts and paint. I haven't tried to get it 501st approved though because I was told custom paint schemes are a no no :/ but I love it, and I wear it to all the conventions I go to and even have it displayed on a manequin in my dorm room xD

I've also been working on a pep halo armor in between my other builds for about a yeah and a half and am not even half way done, and have already spent much more time and money in it than my tk.

Im also a broke ass college student, but I got my armor off eBay untrimmed for $270, and maybe spent another $100 finishing it and buying all the soft parts and paint. I haven't tried to get it 501st approved though because I was told custom paint schemes are a no no :/ but I love it, and I wear it to all the conventions I go to and even have it displayed on a manequin in my dorm room xD

This is the kind of solution I need. I would try my damnedest to take something like that and make it accurate. However, I'm corresponding with my local 501st and they all say ebay is a no-no. Can you see why I'm banging my head against the keyboard at this point??!! AAAHH

This is the kind of solution I need. I would try my damnedest to take something like that and make it accurate. However, I'm corresponding with my local 501st and they all say ebay is a no-no. Can you see why I'm banging my head against the keyboard at this point??!! AAAHH

Well, if I'm not mistaken the cheapest proper kit of stormtrooper armor comes in at somewhere between $350-400. So you could always do a few estimates to see how a kit build vs. a pepakura build would look financially across half a year or so for instance. Saving up vs. starting a build now.

While saving you could also keep yourself busy building a nice pipe based e-11 blaster or something similar that can be done on the cheap.

At least personally I'd advice you to consider it to be on the safe side, as well as refer to my previous post further up that may have been lost up there waiting "first post approval". There are much cheaper ways to join the 501st and get started, no need to rush that TK build. Cause trust me, once your bitten by the bug you only want more pretty armors. :)

ive talked to people in my garrison, and even after stating that it was most likely a recast ebay armor, they said it looked great and could still get approval if not for the color scheme. theyve invited me to go to events with them too, just never had the time.

If anyone has links to these cheap, yet affordable sources please pm me. I just checked ebay and they are crazy expensive! I was told to avoid ebay at all costs. I am willing to assemble stuff. Not expecting to get this finished and ready to wear.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back