Imperial Boots Material?

I posted this over at Rebel Legion but haven’t received a response.
I purchased a set of replica X Wing pilot boots from Imperial Boots. The website says the material is leather but I think what I received is a synthetic material ( pleather?)

Had a real strong chemical smell when I opened the box that lasted a few days.

Has anyone else had any experience with IB boots?

Last edited:
Here are some pics for the leather experts. Btw, I have made Jango gun and braided belts for years as well as other leather projects so I do have some experience working with leather.

Attachments

• B68AB98B-937F-4BDF-B63C-E97314A43009.jpeg
    B68AB98B-937F-4BDF-B63C-E97314A43009.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
  • F7C6A5EE-ADF4-4215-846E-B3DC1AF7BE74.jpeg
    F7C6A5EE-ADF4-4215-846E-B3DC1AF7BE74.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • AF5F21F1-CBF9-4868-BB67-A5DD66BD2C08.jpeg
    AF5F21F1-CBF9-4868-BB67-A5DD66BD2C08.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
It looks like leather to me. The give away is the grain texture on the interior of some sections. I don't know of any faux leather that has an interior grain like that and it'd be a whole other process to add texture to something will never be seen. Unless it's recycled rubber/ polyester which is often shredded up and reconstituted into fake leather which forms a grainy surface on one side and smooth on the other.

As for the smell, it could be just highly processed, cheap leather. Then again even though something like patent leather is considered good quality it's also highly chemically processed in order to get that gloss finish which could account for the smell.

That is what I thought as well but i managed to find a pic of pu leather that has a backing that mimics the fleshy look.

I guess what I will do is just wear these around and see how they break in. If they indeed are all leather then I’ll post my findings and a retraction to keep someone else from making the same mistake.

It seems that I may be in error here. Some good examples of other boots and similar leather products were posted over at Rebel Legion and they match up with the boots I have.

I fully apologize to Imperial Boots for this. I can also say the other parts of my kit from them were top notch.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a pair of boots by them and while I sold them off to fund other projects, I was happy with my initial purchase.

Question on the boots: With the buckle at the top, is there a way to paint it black so it's durable?

I have a new pair of 14" high Engineer boots that have silver buckles on them. I don't *think* they're chrome. Could I hit them good with steel wool and then paint them with Rhino-lining paint?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back