Imperator Furiosa's Prosthetic Arm (Mad Max Fury Road)

Biollante

So one of my cosplay plans for this year is to do a gender-bent Furiosa (Imperator Furioso, har har har). Among the items I'm trying to figure out how to do is her arm. Am I nuts or is there any way I can try to do this?

Here's a picture:
eCwRo81.jpg

Assuming you have two whole fleshy arms, if you have a relatively thin forearm, i would suggest treating the prosthetic forearm as being the same thickness as your own (basically either cover your forearm in a thin hard material or just paint it, then making the surrounding components (like the part where her stump joins the prosthetic, as well as the straps, etc) thicker. You can also avoid making the arm look too bulky by also bulking up the rest of your costume in the right places (shoulders, opposite arm), making the prosthetic look a bit more proportionate.

Assuming you have two whole fleshy arms, if you have a relatively thin forearm, i would suggest treating the prosthetic forearm as being the same thickness as your own (basically either cover your forearm in a thin hard material or just paint it, then making the surrounding components (like the part where her stump joins the prosthetic, as well as the straps, etc) thicker. You can also avoid making the arm look too bulky by also bulking up the rest of your costume in the right places (shoulders, opposite arm), making the prosthetic look a bit more proportionate.

My arms are relatively skinny. The pic doesn't show it well but there's two small wrenches on either side. Those are the only things I'd worry about looking "bulky"

If you look at some of the set photos from the stunt actress, she is wearing a green sock over her real arm that is inside the middle of the bionic arm. Obviously they did that so they could key it out in post, but you could do something similar with a matte black sock. It wouldn't be nearly as convincing as if you were missing a limb of course, but it should sell the illusion fairly convincingly.

How are your art skills? A little well place trompe l'oeil could go a long way. Just make the 'claw' for the fingers and paint the rest.

For inspiration I suggest google imaging "robotic arm tattoo"

Isn't it an option to hide your real arm into the shirt, and attach a complete prop arm ("real" upper arm + prosthetic) to the shoulder? You won't be able to use that fake arm, but it might look OK?

It'll definitely involve some bulking out of the original design but I dont think it will be impossible and could still look great if not entirely screen accurate.

The areas I would focus most on adding mass would be the elbow/mid forearm area and the wrist/palm, adding probably and inch to an inch and a half of material which would make the rest of your arm look skinnier relative to them. Then I would probably cut that center rod lengthwise with one half on each side of your arm (top to bottom) or only cut 1/4 away and fix it to the underside of your arm, leaving the wrench and piston details for the top. Of course you would then want to paint/cover your arm some inconspicuous color like its been suggested above. Probably want to make it all one piece like the movie prop for ease of putting it on, or at least make it a sleeve with the hand being separate.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back