Imperator Furiosa: Mad Max Fury Road

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Karol, May 16, 2015.

1. Karol

Karol New Member

comicguy likes this.
  2. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Like the majority of Film costuming, it's likely a custom job or at the very least decently modified version of an existing model.

3. TerminalSaint

TerminalSaint New Member

Here's a good photo of stunt woman Dayna Grant's arm.
    fury arm.jpg

NeonGhoul and Karol like this.
  4. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Good luck with this build! Seeing the movie I instantly wanted to build her arm.

5. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

Aw come on guys, I just read 20 pages of magazine and boot identification on FR Mad Max, and all we get is a half hearted "probably custom or modified" on her boots.

You wound me.

6. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

If I could see the bottom sole it would help get started on a search. Anything that looks like a logo. That's how I IDed the the boots for Max. I'm pretty sure her boots exist somewhere.

framed likes this.
  7. Viscumin

Viscumin New Member

8. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

Hey everybody, new to the forum but saw this while researching to do a Imperator Furiosa Costume for my fiancé. Thought I would add to this post hopefully you enjoy what ive done so far. Last night I finally finished the upper waist belt and chest harness connecting the shoulder pad. Anyways most of the material you see here is just brown leather belts I got from a thrift store and One friendly post man who provided me a old shoulder strap from the bags they use. So no weathering required, greatest thing about thrift stores and what other people consider crap. the Other Items are bicycle Inner tube from tires, If you go to any Bicycle shop I'm sure they will give you used ones for free, which was my case, also came weathered lol, Rivets and the smaller pad from football shoulder pads. I actually just finished my Max Pad and was about to just toss the rest not knowing what to do with it and figured I use the other part for furiosa (blow torch and a lot of patience required if you want those grooved lines).

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    photo.jpg

Just went to home depot too, and acquired most of the parts for her arm. So when I get finished with that, hopefully sometime this week I'll post more!

MAAZ likes this.
  9. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

There are good shots of the Furiousa's mechanical arm in the book. Worth the price if you building one.

10. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

Anyone have any Idea what kind of padding she has under her shoulder pad? or what it might be from?

11. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

Looks like a custom built pad. Two layers of fabric filled with batting/foam and then stitched/quilted into a solid pad
    Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa-Brand-Logo.png

12. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

quandries likes this.
  13. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

My continuing search for these boots Will destroy me. Not that I could even afford them ... but it's the principal of the thing. They style of the boot is touring motorcycle boot.

boot.jpg

LaGueuse likes this.
  14. Keycube

Keycube Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that type of motorcycle boot with the Velcro closures (including the low-end road racing boots) can be had on the cheap from a lot of places. Joe Rocket is a good company for boots like that in the $100-$200 range. You will find plenty out there with a nearly identical look.

15. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

I spent my afternoon trying to find these. Lots of similar boots but still no match. I know these have to exist somewhere. I'm just as determined as you so I'll keep digging!

16. quandries

quandries New Member

Since I'm not in too much of a rush, I've started small - just the belt buckle so far. This is Paperclay painted with Testors and acrylics. Not a perfect replica by any means (in shape or finish), but I did my best.
    IMG_2919.JPG
    I'll definitely keep watching this thread as I start on the rest of the costume. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    MAAZ and Yrien like this.
  17. cloudwolfbane

cloudwolfbane New Member

That's awesome! I was trying to decide if I wanted to make mine out of clay or metal.

I'm building this one up slowly as well. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the shirt?

18. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

11390288_10152803250615981_7978059248106811564_n.jpg

I can't see that anyone is doing Furiosa's shift knob/bone knife, so I thought I'd share my preliminary research. Over on FB some of us affiliated with Wasteland Weekend have created some different costuming groups so feel free to come over and share the love. https://www.facebook.com/groups/782233038550315/

I'm not sure whether it's a left or right femur (some people are really picky about screen accuracy) so I ordered this pair from eBay:

$(KGrHqRHJ!4FBQ!sVjWMBRyO9IVccg~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halloween-H...e-Human-Skeleton-Left-Right-NEW-/190742405083

The screen-used knife looked a lot like a WW1 trench knife. I got a (smaller?) knife from a friend that I'm hoping is suitable; again, this is all preliminary.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll be looking to grab screen shots from the various videos posted online so I'll share what I find.

One more thing about Furiosa: That little cylinder in her shoulder plate is a model airplane engine cylinder. (I guess it's supposed to power the arm, but have you ever heard one run in real life?)

Babe Bee - Customized Cox 049 Model Airplane Engine 1.jpg

19. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

One of my pals suggested that it's a Chinese SKS bayonet. It appears to have a triangular cross-section, so I think he may be right.

View attachment 486821

View attachment 486822

View attachment 486824

EDIT: Nope, don't think so. The bayonet has grooves and the dagger (rondel?) has none. And it's definitely not a spear-point knife. :)

Furiosa dagger.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

So im just about finished with this build for my fiancé the arm was no easy task and im starting today on the hand, which will be no easy task.
    Most of the items I acquired from home depot and Michaels supplies for the arm probably ran me $30. Still trying to figure out what to use for that huge Clamp finger on her hand, so if you have any suggestions let me know. Also any feed back on this would be great, Thanks Guys!

photo 2.JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG photo 3 (1).JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5 (2).JPG photo.JPG

Attached Files:

MAAZ, MFP 2020 and Yrien like this.
  21. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Go back to Home Depot and look at pole pruners. The thumb is a half a pair of vice grips. And to cover the fingers you'll want some perforated aluminum sheet.

MadBlake likes this.
  22. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

That middle finger is a bit of a tricky one for me too. I'm probably just going to craft it out of foam, but I would love to know what it actually is. It looks more like some sort of demolition tool to me, since it is split like a hammer. But I can see where you're coming from with the pole pruner. Maybe some sort of car demo tool? (looks at "jaws of life" photos)

MadBlake likes this.
  23. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

I have the hive mind looking for likely parts. Brake puller? Ice axe?

On the boots, I'm leaning heavily toward AGV or Prexport. Problem is, they could be many years old and long out of production.

The hunt continues.

24. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

some pics for you

mf4.jpg mf3.jpg mf2.jpg Mf1.jpg

25. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

Thanks MFP and Rogue monster going to make a stop at home depot for those Items, Also looks like the pinky has a tiny wrench attached to the top of the finger. As for the Aluminum Sheet that's a good Idea, but I did found some cheap cheese graters with the perfect size holes in them so it saves me time on hole punching just a little hammering to smooth it out. And as for that middle finger yeah that's going to be hard to disassemble the jaws of life lol, most likely going to go with foam or cardboard on that one.

26. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Harbor Freight is even cheaper if you have one local.

I have auto experts looking at the claw and everyone is stumped. I'd probably just use foam or wood.

27. RogueMonster

RogueMonster New Member

arm cap 2.png arm cap 1.png
    The "pinky" is actually ring and pinky fingers together. I was planning on using the thumb of a large leather glove as the base for that. It then has the box end of a wrench and 2 framing nails flanking it.

MadBlake likes this.
  28. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

I've been very slowly starting to work on this costume over the past week or so. I've ordered a wig (the Rocky from Arda) because I'm not willing to shave my head (it took me four years to grow it out to a point where I didn't hate it the last time I did that!), and some fabric I hope will work for her shirt and the "corset" part. I'm going to go out looking for pants this weekend (I'm not a skilled enough seamstress to make my own, so I'll find something that's "close enough" and hopefully add the overlay part if I can something that works).

I also started working on the hand this week. I wrapped my hand in plastic and covered it with painter's tape, then drew the pattern onto the tape and cut it out. I cut the pieces out of worbla (initially I sandwiched craft foam between two pieces but it was too thick, so I just went with a double layer of worbla) and shaped them to my hand. I did a quick fit test last night (held on with magnets to a glove I had laying around). The back of the hand pieces are pretty good, but I'm not thrilled with the way the palm pieces are fitting (especially that bottom one). I'll probably have to re-make that one, as I don't think it's quite long enough to attach to the back of the hand properly. Once I have the base pieces done I'll start working on the thumb and fingers (and the rest of it!), but I wanted to get this part done first so I'd have something to attach everything to! Though I really wish I could find better pictures of the palm so I can figure out how everything attaches!

I'm definitely going to have to go to the hardware store for bits and bobs to attach to the hand/arm. I might have time for that this weekend, though I don't think I'm quite at that stage yet with my build!

IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1817.JPG

jessamygriffin and MFP 2020 like this.
  29. cpperry

cpperry New Member

I'm working on a belt build for a friend. Here's a current WIP of the emblem. I'm scuplting the cross pieces and the bottom teeth now.

Has anyone had luck sourcing the chains for the belt? Ive found plenty of jewelry chain but it all seems a bit small.

captured_by_snapseed_120_2.jpg

MFP 2020 and Yrien like this.
  30. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

for the long claw finger shape, I've been searching. I may be some sort of Ice Axe or a ratcheting clamp for trees or a tree tool. It looks like in actuality it is two parts and they curve in on either side to be round on top.

31. sammiethebun

sammiethebun New Member

Found some more images of Furiosa's arm.

tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo4_500.jpg
    tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo5_500.jpg
    tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo6_500.jpg
    tumblr_np3hrykHdC1uwzkzwo1_500.jpg
    MM4FuriosaHand_1200_656_81_s.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Yrien likes this.
  32. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

So I gave up on looking for that tool on the middle finger and also just threw out the original hand I made the first time around, it looked pretty bad. So I've started a new build on the arm and I'm almost done with the hand, spent the better half of my weekend trying to do this. And almost everything including that unidentifiable tool everyone is up in a roar about, is made from aluminum sheet. I purchased a piece that was thick enough to hold up but thin enough to cut with heavy duty scissors, I'm pretty satisfied with the results

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

NeonGhoul and RogueMonster like this.
  33. detenten

detenten Active Member

claw hands.jpg arm cap 1.png

So I hear those claw hands have been baffling.

I found this flooring/roofing knife whose blade looks like a pretty close match. It has the right curve and the serration after the sharp pointy bit.
    Wish I didn't have to get two knives just for two blades, they didn't have replacement blades at the hardware store that was closing for business (at least they were half off...)!

34. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

[​IMG]

That underarm strap looks a lot like a Bianchi shoulder holster.

$_57.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    MadBlake likes this.
  35. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Well, that's it. I'm throwing in the towel on the boots. I just spent the better part of six hours looking at thousands of eBay listings and Zappos and Revzilla and Google and I don't think I'm any closer than when I started. A motorcycle enthusiast friend thinks they're fashion boots. The closest I've seen in terms of the Velcro closures are AGV/Prexport boots from the early '90s. The best part? I'm not even doing Furiosa. I'm just in it for the hunt!

If I had to have a pair right now, I'd go with these Motoboss boots. There's a pair on auction right now.

$_57.jpg

Here are my best reference pics. I swear I've seen that sole before but I can't find it online. The shot of the inside of her left boot confuses me because it also looks like a Velcro closure. I'm really starting to lean toward custom or heavily modified boots. (Or would, if I still cared.) :)

Good luck.

Furiosa right leg 2.jpeg Furiosa left boot right side.jpeg Furiosa boot sole.jpeg Furiosa stunt boot sole.jpeg Furiosa Max soles.jpeg Furiosa boot sole alt.jpeg Furiosa right leg.jpeg Furiosa left boot 3.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    MadBlake likes this.
  36. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

37. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

I think I might've found one that is pretty darn close but its yet again like everything on this build costly. I think I have rattled my brain to the point of giving up and throwing in the towel on that hook knife but this was the closest I could come to before my hopes and dreams where shattered and yes I researched almost every knife, tool, axe, axepick, ice pick, or other climbing and utility tools. It must be as some people say on this thread a "custom Job" (whomp)

knife.jpg
    This is the Gerber Crisis Hook knife, and here is the link http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/c...doehvcMiGfJNoVCXw1I1qex7zyT-vDQSCgBoCs2zw_wcB

38. jwhite

jwhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the references poster in here. Getting ready to start this build for my wife.

39. detenten

detenten Active Member

40. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

41. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

But look how thick the individual blades are. I'd just do them in EVA foam. Plus it's "con safe."

42. jwhite

jwhite Well-Known Member

what's everyone planning to do for the hair? will cutting down a wig work?

43. detenten

detenten Active Member

I'll have to grind 'em down to make them nice and blunt. There's an appeal to real metal for me... mostly the clinking noise :D

- - - Updated - - -

I intend to stipple paint a bald cap, more or less like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/63120832253774130/

44. jwhite

jwhite Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of work. My wife has short hair, I'm gonna vote she just bite the bullet and goes all in. But this is always a back up plan. Thanks for the link.

45. detenten

detenten Active Member

I'm tempted, but it took me years to grow this butt-length hair, so I'm not sure I'm ready to sacrifice it all!

I haven't found a great match yet, but I'm thinking they could possibly be some style of foreceps (bone holding / medical) or tongs (crucible / blacksmith / block ice / lumber)? It'd explain why there's two of them, at least.

http://www.re-owned.com/itemcode-nv3292j-c3#.VZWXHs9VjW8

127465_00001.gif

Here's also another fun variety of thing to google: "Break and Rake Tool."

http://www.grainger.com/product/BLACKHAWK-Break-N-Rake-Tool-14P365
    14P365_AS01.jpg

MadBlake and jwhite like this.
  46. detenten

detenten Active Member

So, any leads on the pants, or "custom job" again? ;) Modified riding pants?

Garment leather? Denim?

View attachment 496062
    View attachment 496063
    View attachment 496064

The cuts are intentional, as they all have the decorative/anti-fray stitching around them, which is delightfully curvy (thanks, plan to cuss at my sewing machine over THAT...) I might do a zig zag stitch at the widest and longest setting and call it close enough for the sake of my sanity.

47. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

I'm going to try cutting down a wig. I picked up the Rocky from Arda (http://arda-wigs.com/products/rocky). I know it's not going to be short enough, but the last time I shaved my head I hated it for four years while it grew out, so I'm not prepared to do that again. :p

jwhite likes this.
  48. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Don't forget to search Dayna Grant for photo references, and also note the liberal use of inner tubes.

image_portrait_w858.jpg

Next issue: Riding breeches.

breeches.jpg 12colors-20.jpg

MadBlake likes this.
  49. logan74k

logan74k Active Member

I agree with this, it looks most like a tree tong or pipe tong. However, looking at the concept art and how the design slowly morphed into the final, I'd say it's almost definitely a custom job. Those sketches are very artsy and specific, as is the prototype. Somebody looked at that and said, "I like the fingers, lets hook them so they can conceivably grab Max like they need to, and add some of the ridges from the vise grip jaws, and the gearing." It's most likely fabricated and cast in various materials for weight savings/stunt use.

Just my opinion, I'd be very interested to see if anybody ever finds a real world instance of it.

MadBlake and jwhite like this.
  50. MadBlake

MadBlake Active Member

Wow missed a lot on this thread over the weekend! Great stuff everyone detenten I totally get the clinking from the metal, me and my fiancé love that feel lol though we are going to grind ours down to make them con safe. As for her hair I don't think she or even I could part with her butt-length hair (though she did wake one night, while I was over her with a pair a scissors)... MFP 2020 Great call on the pants! yet again I wish you had posted this before I spent the a week hand stitching some random pants I found at a thrift store lol, I mean I'm satisfied with the results but those pants are a lot more similar than the ones I purchased. Awesome find though!

So Anyways just wanted to check in and give an update on my arm build and also had some questions. Most of the stuff I found was at a junk yard still couldn't find that claw "sigh", but I highly suggest if you are building the arm out of real material and not foam go to your local junkyard first stuff is either free or stupid cheap!!! so here is the arm with its first ligament attached

photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

So for my first Question as you can see in the back round of the picture there is a air compressor from a car trunk, anyone know how to remove the air to adjust the length of the tube itself? Also I'm having trouble disassembling a pair of vice grips that I'm using for the thumb anyone have any suggestions on rivet removal of a vice grip been hitting that thing with a hammer for like a week now and just a few scratches. Please any suggestions would be helpful, My next stop is a mechanic and I'm sure they'll look at me like I'm crazy, but its all for the sake of cosplay!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    jwhite likes this.