Im Very Confused

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Saint Dane

Hi !
I have looked through the forums for hours on the amount of clay you have to use for a predator mask and bio mask.
Indeed i have found answers but they are ALL diffrent. One says only 11lbs the other says 38lbs. But seriously do you really need 38lbs ??? Thats so much.Im totally new to this stuff so i dont know how much stuff is needed but 38 sounds a bit too much.When i looked at pics of mask sculpts it doesnt look as if there is so much clay.So can someone please tell me the approximate amount of clay for the mask sculpt ?
Thanks
Paul

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MEANGENE83

Sr Member
So here is the thing.

A good amount to buy is around 40 lbs. It seems like ALOT but a 1:1 ratio head will require about that much. Extra clay is also useful for the molding process(ask about that later).

If you can manage to get a Bust of a human head to sculpt on that would take the place of some of the clay. But if you can get create and find a STURDY structure to built up and around the Bust to "fill out" some of the Pred Head Area. That will also save you from buying alot of clay.

I would be that if you sculpt yourself a Predator Head, you are going to get the bug and want to sculpt something else as well. Extra might not be such a bad thing.

I sculpted a 1:1 P1 head and i used at least about 40 lbs.

12af10a4.jpg

Here is a picture of my sculpture. In the background is a "morris head" it is a copy from the original Predator Head used in the movie. I use it as reference to sculpt my own head. So the proof is right there regarding sizing.

Goodluck, keep asking questions if you need help!

Saint Dane

Thanks a bunch there. One more question. Does the size of the mannequin matter ??
Thanks again and btw really nice sculpture :)

Effects Guy

The amount of clay is determined based on your sculpting armature. If it is already the size of your head or larger, then you need less clay. If you build out the back of it to be more Pred shaped, then you need still less clay. If you plan on doing this a lot though, why not order bulk? The price per block goes down significantly and these clays last a long time.