I'm building a life-sized portal gun

EthanM

Welcome!

This is my build log on my very own portal gun that I will be constructing over the next few months. This is the first project that I have ever attempted, and being 15 (and in school), I won't be able to be update as much I would like, but I am trying my best!

I will be posting updates as frequently as possible, and if anyone who has experience with this sort of thing, please help point me in the right direction! All comments are welcomed!

--Update--

Here are the Pepakura files I used (Shout-out to Throwing Chicken for the awesome FREE files! As well as Jeremiah Warren, and of course, the one and only Volpin!)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bui...ghts/step6/Making-the-Shells-Part-1-Pepakura/

Last edited:
Hello, I also just recently joined the RPF! This is actually my first post! From one Portal fan to another, I'm linking a YouTube video from what used to be my favorite channel way back in high school, that is until YouTube bought the show and then canceled it. Sadly when YouTube bought the show they also bought the website so, alas, the links mentioned in the video are no longer up. You still might find this useful though! If you're set on using bondo you could easily use it to improve both the look and the strength of the foam used for their build. Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing updates on your Portal gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFBCH1nno8

I hope this project goes super well for you! This is the first project I'm also undertaking.

Good luck! I can't wait for updates

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask questions about stuff people on here will normally get you an answer :)

Thanks for all the positive responses everyone! I have currently just finished fiberglassing the inside of my paper models, and I should be updating this afternoon. Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been side-tracked by school. (And I would much rather be building props than doing school work, that's for sure!) To all of you viewing my posts and following this thread, I WILL be posting more updates very soon!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone! I have currently just finished fiberglassing the inside of my paper models, and I should be updating this afternoon. Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been side-tracked by school. (And I would much rather be building props than doing school work, that's for sure!) To all of you viewing my posts and following this thread, I WILL be posting more updates very soon!

Hey man do well in school! Prop building is much better when you don't have to worry too much about money :) also pics?

IMG_0005.JPG
So here is where I started, I printed off the pepakura files and began assembling all the pieces together. I used cardstock and some E-6000 for all the parts.

So here is where I am at so far...I fiberglassed the insides and made a brace for the smaller piece so it wouldn't collapsed on itself. Learn from me and don't be afraid to use the hardener in the fiberglass! I used too little for the bigger shell and it still hasn't finished drying after 4 days :/ Fiberglasing wasn't as hard as I thought, for my first time using it I'm pretty happy. Now, onto finding and assembling the PVC barrel! I hope to update photos sometime next week but I'm not sure...I'm gonna be out of town so I will just have to work around that... Stay posted!

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

The rear shell is a tad bigger than the size of my forearm

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG
To be honest, I'm not very good at keeping updates, but because of the amount of views this thread has been getting, I decided to stick with it, and I can't wait to see how this thing turns out!

--Update--

So I have just acquired some scrap MDF board, that I plan to use in the creation of the barrel for the gun.

Any suggestions on what to use to glue layers of MDF together? I'm thinking of layering the board to make a tube, then sanding it flush and carving in the grooves to make this portion of the barrel

Portal Gun barrel.jpg
--Photo by Jeremiah Warren--

If all else fails, I'll just go ahead and make it out of PVC and bevel the edges using Epoxie Sculpt. (Which should be fun!)
Oh, yeah, I also plan on using Epoxie Sculpt. (And lots of it!)

Looks like it is coming along really well. You might find it easier to smooth out the shells if you remove the cable nubs for the time being. No sense in trying to work around them.

Looks like it is coming along really well. You might find it easier to smooth out the shells if you remove the cable nubs for the time being. No sense in trying to work around them.
Thanks for the response! And tomorrow, I'm gonna spend the whole day working on the shells and getting the Bondo on. Should be fun, as I have never worked with Bondo before :unsure Hopefully I won't mess things up too much!

View attachment 553869
So the Bondo went on fairly well...

I actually went a little heavy on the hardener, and the thing was dry in about 15 min. I went ahead and put a second layer of Bondo on top of the first one because there were a few spots I missed the first time-It actually dried a bit too fast :unsure
But it's okay cause' I'm sanding it down anyways...right?View attachment 553872

I have successfully sanded the down the front shell as best as I can. It's looking great! I will try to post a picture sometime today...Now, I just have to re-fiberglass the rear shell and slap some Bondo on top of that one too... Fun.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back