I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

I haven't checked this thread in a very long time: I ended up getting the Singer 4411 for about $125. Its basic features suit me just fine... so far.

I'm the 'patching guy' at a cobbler shop so I sew all day long. I repair shoes, boots, handbags, sports equipment, belts, backpacks etc. I sew velcro, elastics, I do rivets, snaps, buckles, basically I repair everything in the shop that isn't soles and heels. So I sew a lot. I also have an old Montgomery Ward machine at home for the little piddly stuff.

I pestered my wife long enough to teach me to sew that she finally did. I started with comic Commander Rogers and am making Han Solo vest/pants/shirt now. This is fun!

Just chiming in: I've been sewing since I was 9 and am 35 now... I have just these past few years got into the costume scene, so most of what I have done has been actual clothing such as Christmas gifts and the like. For instance, my ex (still a really close friend) is obsessed with the character Elmo. Finding Elmo pajamas in an adult size is unheard of. So... I got 6 yards of red flannel, some black white and orange cotton, some matching thread and a pattern and made her some. Currently I am moving towards papercraft converted foam armor based costumes, but to add myself to the count; I am a bro who sews.

I recently finished sewing this out of a leather chair and ottoman I got off Craigslist for $20. It's for a slightly custom version of one of Captain America's outfits in The First Avenger and is based on that jacket and on Leonardo Dicaprio's in The Aviator.
Hiyvkag.jpgQaNq1nm.jpg
oVkAdjE.jpg
View attachment iyIPn6q.jpg

I recently finished sewing this out of a leather chair and ottoman I got off Craigslist for $20. It's for a slightly custom version of one of Captain America's outfits in The First Avenger and is based on that jacket and on Leonardo Dicaprio's in The Aviator.
View attachment 740370View attachment 740369
View attachment 740371
View attachment 740372

Suddenly all that free for the taking furniture on Craigslist took on a whole new meaning... Thanks for the inspiration! Never would have thought of that! How does is bend and move? In my experience upholstery fabric is much thicker/stiffer than apparel fabric... Is this an issue for you with this jacket?

Suddenly all that free for the taking furniture on Craigslist took on a whole new meaning... Thanks for the inspiration! Never would have thought of that! How does is bend and move? In my experience upholstery fabric is much thicker/stiffer than apparel fabric... Is this an issue for you with this jacket?

It is pretty thick and stiff, but no stiffer than I'd expect an actual biker/aviator jacket to be. The thickness may be a problem depending on your machine... if it was even a tenth of a millimeter thicker I don't think my machine could've handled some of the seams. And it was the first time I've used furniture leather for sewing so I have no idea if it was a typical thickness or not.

I wish I knew how to sew. Neither my Wife nor I know how to. I have a ton of Cosplay and figure costumes I would make. Time to go to Michaels for a class i guess

I wish I knew how to sew. Neither my Wife nor I know how to. I have a ton of Cosplay and figure costumes I would make. Time to go to Michaels for a class i guess
Once you start learning the basics you will be amazed how quick you will pick up the skills you need to start making costumes. Get an inexpensive machine and queue up YouTube!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not very good, but I do enjoy sewing...

Here's a google-eyed frog head I made my oldest son for a play.
Frog.JPG

A cloud I made my youngest boy for school (He was lightning)
Electricity.JPG

And an Underdog costume I made my middle son in 2012. It was really nice wool fabric, so it doubled as his winter coat for a few years. He is starting to sew now!
Underdog.JPG

I'm a bro that sews. I just bought an Industrial Sewing Machine and Industrial Overlocker a couple of days ago.

20180614_185622.jpg20180614_185633.jpg

I only just put them away today. They've been sitting in the middle of our lounge for the last couple of days. Now I just need to go buy some fabric so I can have a play.

Hey all - I'm wondering if we could do a quick survey of the brand and model machines that everyone uses?

I'm curious what types of machines are best for the RPF crowd. So much of the online research is geared toward pro tailors or entry level.

I currently have a Brother CS6000i - got it for cheap on Craigslist. Looking to upgrade to a heavier duty option.

I just wanted to see if there was still life in this thread. I used to check in on it all the time because I had an interest in learning how to sew. My mother died back in 2018 and I wound up with her sewing machine and when covid hit I made it my mission to learn. There's a million videos out there and little by little, I learned one step at a time. I'm at the point that I can make whatever I need and operate the machine with my eyes closed. I love it. If you have any interest in learning to sew, do it! It is by far one of the best skills I have ever learned and I can't recommend it enough!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back