I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

Darth Mule

Sr Member
The ladies have inspired me... Abby's "I have boobs and I make..." thread has made me curious who else out there does stuff more like myself. With all the hard costuming popularity (Iron Man, Halo) and pep files flooding the boards lately, I thought I'd start up a thread for those of us of the male persuasion that still do things the old fashioned way. With a needle and a thread.

So... A little about myself. I'm a professional theatrical costumer of the past 10 years or so. I occasionally dabble in the costume commission trade, and I regularly make stuff for myself for conventions and such. I currently manage a costume shop in a children's theatre and am the chief patternmaker, tailor, and craftsperson for said shop. My main focus over the years has been menswear. Not so much because I'm a man, but because when I was coming up in the field, I noticed that the majority of my peers and teachers were focused on the women's wear, and i wanted to be different.

In my time as a professional costumer, I've pretty much done it all. From makeup to dressmaking. You name it. I even started my career off doing accessories and leatherwork for a Shakespeare festival. That being said, there still never ceases to be talent on these boards that blows me away. I never cease to find an unlimited amount of inspiration from the projects within these virtual walls. The theatrical world is better for the innovations that I've brought to the table after being introduced to them right here on the RPF.

So chime in my RPF brethren! I know there are a few other guys out there that prefer their sewing machine to their dremel. Let's talk some soft costuming!

And yes! Feel free to share pics. Everyone loves pics! Here's some of mine:

Still my crown jewel. Gary Oldman Dracula. Commissioned the hat, bought the shoes. Altered a few accessories. Everything else from the shirt to the suit to the tie was handmade by yours truly.
3933527630_f67828421b_o.jpg

Prince Nuada: From a customer. He did the belly emblem and sculpted the vambraces using my form, but the rest is me. Wetformed leather armor, silk pique tunic, and lots of silk sash.
385591_10100559280010426_1819624419_n.jpg

Steampunk Batman: Going to revisit the cowl and cover those ears (a point of contention that I ceded on). Linen suit, suedecloth cape. Bringing this to D*Con this year again.
580882_10100559280045356_677210449_n.jpg

11th Doctor series 6 Shetland Tweed Jacket: Made from the same bolt of cloth as the Screen jacket. The plaid was particularly challenging to line up from the body to the sleeve. Love this!
380578_10100676626442236_1939464985_n.jpg

Selene Corset from Underworld: Commission
292596_10100533819169156_1864444394_n.jpg

I do try but I am not as accomplised as you yet. I have a spidey suit on order but I am a little nervous about sewing it. I may ask for someone to do it for me....

im no where near as good as you, but i did make a Aladdin Street Rat costume from scratch for a leaving party i had last year. but thats about all for sewing lol

I got hurt in 8th grade in 1988 and got stuck as a teachers aid in home economics for half a school year. I picked up the basics, that's all I know. I do small things hear and there. Nothing of your caliber.

I did some size modifications to my leather Vader suit, and made the leather Gamorrean vest, nappy, and leather strapping. Probably took me longer than it should have, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Just the basics.

070312-CraigM074.jpg

070312-CraigM042.jpg

524413_393062604072246_100001055303833_1210510_1417266306_n.jpg

I sew most of my stuff! Even If I buy something, it usually makes its way to the sewing machine for something or other!

I'm having to hand sew stuff as I'm unsure how to work a machine but I think I'll bite the bullet soon and learn. Friends are seeing my work and are trying to commission costumes, (not sure why as it's vastly inferior to a lot of the work on this forum), and I'm having to knock them back.

Here is the webbing I'm working on to make a Captain America shield wearable on the back...

And here is a doll I made for a friend (then girlfriend).

My skills aren't great, but I get the job done. ;)

I have a sewing machine and I dabble. Mostly sewing on velcro and patches and such. Nothing major. I modded a BDU shirt into a BSG costume once, with suede, buckles, straps, and patches. That's about the most advanced thing I've attempted.

I occasionally dabble in the costume commission trade, and I regularly make stuff for myself for conventions and such. I currently manage a costume shop in a children's theatre and am the chief patternmaker, tailor, and craftsperson for said shop. My main focus over the years has been menswear. Not so much because I'm a man, but because when I was coming up in the field, I noticed that the majority of my peers and teachers were focused on the women's wear, and i wanted to be different.

Oh, this thread is so dashing, so seductive, I may lose all decorum! There really is nothing sexier than gentlemen sewers. And I have to agree with this - it's a rare thing to see tailored men's costumes, when historically speaking menswear was just as fastidious as women's. I have a thing for jackets and doublets of all eras.

I'm an elementary art teacher and I'm proud to say that all of the boys in the school where I teach can thread and run my Babylock (Baby Lock: Grace). They BEG me to bring it out every class, and I only wish I had more than one machine, because a 18:1 ratio is a lesson in patience for everyone. There's going to be an army of little bros out there who can sew -and I'd be happy with that, if I accomplish nothing else in my career.

Great work fellas, these pictures made my day.

There are some of you who SHOULD BE POSTING in here but haven't yet!

I'm a Bro and I Sew!!!! I have a BFA in Theater costuming and my wife and I have are own sewing business. I mostly have done Medieval and Renaissance costumes untill this year when we have finally gotten into cons. my mind is over flowing with all the costumes i want to make i just have to decide which ones to work on first..... and then get some money to put toward it.

And my wife agrees with Freya nothing sexier than a guy who sews.

-GZH

I learned how to use a sewing machine, but have not used one since. That was over 30 years ago. :(

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Nice Dracula! Always loved that movie and the look was bang on. Ive seen a lot of WTB fight club posts, mostly for Tyler Durdens red leather jacket, I'd love to see you try that out!! I'd do it but "I'm a man with no sewin plan"

I wish I could sew. I source out people like yourself at a high price because unlike my mom who always bought my clothes 2 sizes bigger for me when I was a kid (expecting to grow into them), clothes should be fitted ;)

I'm also not a huge techy guy at the dremel or fibreglass. I'm a huge value village/ebay guy and get it fitted appropriately. I had never really done 'screen accurate' costuming until this year where I'm trying to do the rocketeer. Mind you, I always tried to do as best as I could, but budget (and more importantly time) was always a big deal.

Looking to be able to learn from this forum as much as I can!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back