ILM Model Shop Sold

Sad news indeed but not a surprise.

Looks to be a dying art form in the film industry.

For me, CGI can never replace a physical model on film. This is just my opinion though.

Doesn't sound SO bad. At least it's still in the family and now a preferred contractor.

Hopefully it will be new opportunity.

I think it's a good move personally. It said in the article that ILM has passed on some model jobs, now that it's a company owned and ran by a model maker they can take on the jobs that ILM wouldn't.

CGI just can't replace models. The fight scenes in episode 4 are better then all of the CGI dog fights in 1,2 or 3.

I had a tour of the Kerner facility both in '86 and was just blown away. I've been up to what they call the "model shop" at Letterman and its more of a museum display than anything. It really is the end of an era.

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jun 14 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1261655[/snapback]</div>
CGI just can't replace models. The fight scenes in episode 4 are better then all of the CGI dog fights in 1,2 or 3.
[/b]

I second that.

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jun 14 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1261655[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

I agree. I can always spot CG in a movie. Let's hope models aren't phased out completely. It's rapidly becoming a lost art. :(

Bill

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jun 14 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]1261655[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

You know - I think I agree.

After the dust has settled on Episode 1, 2 & 3 - Lucas went way overboard with the CGI. It's too much.

The models are better.

Let's hope they will use more of the models in the upcoming live tv series. I never like CGI and to me, they never look realistic. CG ships got this plasticky look, if you ask me.

B

Isn't cgi getting as expensvie or even more expensive than model work? I miss models in films. To me Models created that wonderment of how did they do that to no more wonderment from cgi. Now cgi actually takes away a film for me because it's just too simple and phoney looking too.

Lee

<div class='quotetop'>(Rogue Studios @ Jun 18 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]1263854[/snapback]</div>
Isn't cgi getting as expensvie or even more expensive than model work? I miss models in films. To me Models created that wonderment of how did they do that to no more wonderment from cgi. Now cgi actually takes away a film for me because it's just too simple and phoney looking too.

Lee
[/b]

No, unfortunately, it's cheaper to do and once they are built (the models, digitally) they can be used again and again, blown up, re-scaled, modified, for still less than rebuilding a model or making replicas to blow up.
It's very sad, though the CGI stuff does keep getting better.

Very telling that the best CGI is still the instances where they build a model then scan it and use pictures of it for texture maps.

Since Lucas has a huge fleet of CG ships, I doubt he will ever build models again for a Star Wars project. And I hope I am wrong.

Most of the folks here have a very good eye for detail and you must admit, are generally looking very hard to spot the CG stuff. Today's average viewer doesn't see it and is being more and more conditioned to the CG as being "what they should look like."

The other downside to this is that as the nodel shops go away, they take many talented prop builders as well. I can't think of any model builders that don't also make props (or did, when they were still in business.)

These days, muscians who have been around for years and know how to read, write and play music, are being replaced by "musicians" who use electronic means and press buttons etc etc. There are some exeptions in the electronic world such as Jean Michel Jarre who uses electronic means but has been trained classically and is a composer.

It is similar to Model making, it is dying due to CGI, it is sad, and their (the modelmakers) skills are IMO way up their. My best memories of star wars are the OT, not just because of the models, but also how they were made to look so damned real on screen.

This really bummed me out. I know there are many more benefits to doing CGI models and practical models have serious drawbacks but that really feels like the end of an art form. I was too young to really appreciate the Ray Harryhausen style FX of the Sinbad movies and Jason and the Argonauts and when they were phased out, I didn't understand the affection that people had for them because the 'new' Star Wars era FX looked so superior. Now I understand what those folks were feeling. End of an era indeed.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back