ILM Force Awakens CG ship renders. ULTRA high res.

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by DanielB, Sep 10, 2015.

1. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Because there are no actual physical models being used for the ships in The Force Awakens, very high quality CG model assets were made for the film by Industrial Light and Magic. To help with reference, here are some ULTRA high res renders of ILM's assets. If you wish to download them to your computer, which I recommend, do the following.

Go to the following link...

http://imgur.com/a/lWptA

Hover over the upper right corner of each image, and you will see a gear icon appear.

Click the icon, and you will have two options. View Full Resolution or Download Full Resolution.

I recommend downloading them, and use them for reference when building your own models. Have fun!

Krats, Axlotl and Galactican like this.
  2. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Cool, thanks!

3. Rats

Rats Sr Member

Excellent. Thanks!

4. Galactican

Galactican Well-Known Member

Holy moly, thank you! :)

5. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Those are fantastic! But...
    no Falcon? :(

6. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm really hoping that there are a lot more to the tech in this movie. It seems like there are about a third of the ship designs in the other movies. I hope they're holding a lot back for us because right now, there's very little to be impressed about.

7. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

And no landing ship. But what we got, I like.

8. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I am hoping so as well, although I doesn't seem like it. The other tech I have seen are horribly uninspired designs.

There is the first order snowspeeder http://cdn.s7.disneystore.com/is/image/DisneyShopping/6102036511772?$yetidetail$
    which like a bad cross between a 40K Space Marine land speeder http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41+Sv5Qc8jL._SX425_.jpg and the old non-movie cannon Kenner vehicles http://www.kennercollector.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/kenner-mini-rig-ISP-6-kennercollector.jpg

Then there is also the personal walker thing that looks like the AT-RT

All in all, there hasn't been any ground breaking vehicle designs. Everything seems to be slightly a modified version of existing designs.

I hate to say it, but the vehicle designs from the prequels were more impressive

9. cylon

cylon Member

they look fake. light reflections looks artificial. also the models are too clean to look real. dirt rendered in cgi is crap. nothing beats physical models. this is another proof.

10. Sluis Van Shipyards

They're not fake because they are the same images used on the Fathead graphics.

11. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

I gotta say, I agree. Look, I love the Falcon, X-Wings, TIEs and star destroyers too, but... making a few cosmetic changes to old favorites isn't very "visionary" (as nu-Lucasfilm loves to refer to JJ as). I kind of groan whenever I hear fans gush about how TFA "looks like Star Wars should." Well duh, that's because it's basically the same old ships. I kind of like when Star Wars takes some risks and gives us something new and unexpected.

12. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Maybe it is a consequence of people´s reactions to the prequel designs. It seems the majority of people hated them (at least judging from posts on various modeling forums), so they swapped out all the vehicle designers from the prequels and hired new ones which came up with what we are presented now. IMO, the only neat design is the new X-Wing, while all the other vehicles shown so far are far worse than most prequel designs (amongst which were some awesome designs I think). I prefer the Radiant VII, AAT, MTT, TF landing ship, droid control ship, Sith Infiltrator, AT-TE, Gunship, Acclamator, Venator, second Jedi Starfighter, ARC-170 and Munificent frigate to just name a few to any of the new designs.
    I honestly hope they are holding back some good designs, even if they are not playing important parts in the story. There´s just too few vehicles shown so far to make a whole Star Wars film.

13. thorst

thorst Well-Known Member

I agree, I do like the new star destroyer, the X-wing and the TIE, but the really "new" designs we know from are not as sleek as the ones from the existing SW movies. I loved the ships from the prequels. I hope that the new ones will grow to my heart more when we finally see the movie!

What I don't think is that there are much more important designs. Revell already showed us what they will bring from this movie, and apart from the new shuttle (I am eager to see other perspectives of this) there is nothing new. They also claimed that they won't release additional ships for one year, so I can't imagine that there is a lot more coming in the movie, too.

But I hope that I will be surprised after the movie release.

14. Galactican

Galactican Well-Known Member

15. thorst

thorst Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a nifty scale!: 1:93! Fits perfectly into my line...

Sluis Van Shipyards likes this.
  16. astroboy

That command shuttle is even worse than dooku's space sail boat.

The one thing I hated from the PT was the battle Droids. But as the series went on (and especially the clone wars) I kinda fell in love with them. They understand their lot in life. And it doesn't have a good outcome. They're kinda like Marvin the robot

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Vacformedhero likes this.
  17. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

Kylo Ren's shuttle is sort of "Into Darkness" Klingon Bird of Prey meets Star Wars. It gets the industrial look okay, but the command hull is just some rectangles banged together. It doesn't have much personality, IMHO.

I think the perceptions of the designs will mostly be colored by how people feel about the film. If the film is great, people will love the designs. If not, they'll hate them. I think that was true of the PT too. If the Bespin Cloud Car had been a PT vehicle people would be ridiculing it, but because it's in TESB it's a "classic."

Vacformedhero likes this.
  18. Gungai1138

Gungai1138 New Member

Doug Chiang did the designs for the prequels, and he was also hired to do the designs for Episode 7. So your information is inaccurate.

19. astroboy

Maybe if the wings on that shuttle were half the length it would be cool, but right now it's a joke

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

20. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

be cool of the shuttle attached to the front of the SD to create a prow , that would be cool
    I do understand why ships in scifi have cockpits , to help have a focus point as to where the Humans be at, and also to help with scale , big glass small ship, small glass giant ship.....you get the gist .... I do like new design ideas and the shuttle at least breaks some of the typical looks for SW shuttles, but as someone mentioned lets see it in action first. if it does the same as the previous version fair enough, but maybe there will be some new functionality , lets hope

21. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

It was an assumption or made-up scenario, not an info...

22. Gungai1138

Gungai1138 New Member

Which is precisely why I commented. I was pointing out that the facts already exist, and they contradict your made-up assumption.

23. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that the texture maps on the X-Wing are mirrored? What a cop out, come on ILM! Love the ships and loved the movie even more regardless though. :)

Treadwell likes this.
  24. Sluis Van Shipyards

Well now I'm going to! Thanks! :lol

25. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

It makes financial sense. You don't want to have to pay a texture artist to do the other side once you've finished one of them. You never really see the CG X-wings in a "hero" close up. Anytime you see them, they are zipping by with heavy motion blur, and in the film's finale in a pretty dark environment where it's hard to see detail.

26. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I understand the cost cutting. However the same could be said about the some details on the old ILM physical models, but the artists added them anyway. :)

27. kamandi

kamandi Active Member

There were some medium res Battlefront Falcon renders that appeared recently, did high-res TFA Falcon orthos ever appear?

28. augofett

augofett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I only have an small magnifier, then if you press the image opens to 2,025px × 2,344px. Is that the ULTRA high definition? Thanks!