IKEA LEDBERG Light Mod

It looks like you probably (used to) have some 24v LED lights, switch and a AC>DC transformer.

If you want them separate you need to supply 24v to each one.

I thought wiring LED's would be easier than this. Would I have to buy something like this?

But when you get right down to it that's what I have no? I just cut the individual LED'S off. Now I need to wire them back up separately. :)

BB55008C-6A56-4E5C-86C8-2CE039DF1535.jpeg

I thought wiring LED's would be easier than this. Would I have to buy something like this?

Well, yes, that would work. It’s much more powerful than you need for a single light.

But at that point you’re buying a $17 power supply for an LED that you can buy with its own for $8 :confused:

When you say 'individually'.. do you mean like in separate cabinets or something?

Or you want to be able to plug each one into the 'hub' individually?

At this point.. you have the housings.. you can swap out the guts for whatever you wanted IMHO..

You want this ultimately powered by a wall-socket though.....correct?

Hell you could take a +5v phone charger now.. and replace the leds in those 'satellites' with whatever color/size led you wanted..

and connect as many as you like.. (up the max current the charger provides).. 2A?

It is for a 3d print specifically designed to fit this light. Not for a shelf or a cabinet.

The 4 light combo is 9.99 + 9.99 shipping.
The 1 light alone is 7.99 + 9.99 shipping.

I thought I could buy the 4, cut them up, and wire each to its own plug to save money.

Why would I want to spend 17 dollars on a power supply? I was just asking if that is my only avenue here.

If I just cut the cord on one of these led's, wire the +/- to a cord and plug it into a wall outlet is it gonna blow or not?

:oops:

Each of those LED need 24vDC, either from batteries or a power supply that converts the AC from wall outlets.

If you plug one of those LEDs directly into the wall it will not work and may catch fire and/or kill you.

*blow?

Most likely...

Hard to answer without any of this stuff in front of me to run tests on..etc..

But if all you need if the 'housing' you can put any leds you want in there.. in any sort of combination..

You will then know what the voltage and current needs are..

You'd need to know how much 1 of those light/housing needs for voltage (thought I read 24v somewhere?) which is A LOT especially for leds.. but it may be configured in a way to need more voltage.. but less current.

But when you get right down to it that's what I have no? I just cut the individual LED'S off. Now I need to wire them back up separately. :)
Well, I was referring to using LEDs of which you knew the specs... I don't suppose you have a multimeter? How brave are you?

From the look of the PCB they're wired in parrallel. If the wall wort puts out 24V they're running at 24V. At 3W it looks like they're running at low current though, about 100mA.

Maybe try it at a lower voltage (perhaps off some batteries) and see if they work? Or look around for a power supply that puts out 24VDC.

Each LED module has its own a current limiting circuit. See here. You don't need to worry about resistors, just voltage and power.
All you need is a 24V supply capable of 0.75 a watt per LED. (As Ikea says all four LEDs consume 2.9W)

Amps (and therefor watts) are pulled by the device. You don’t need a 0.75W supply, just a supply capable of at least 0.75W per LED. If you have a 30W supply you can safely run thirty of these LEDs from it.

So finally success. The adapter I ordered on Amazon came from China so I had to wait about a month to get it... The ikea wires are labeled so I just soldered positive to positive and negative to negative with some shrink tubing to insulate the wires. But I have proven that you can come out cheaper than just ordering a single light if you have patience and some soldering skills.

Amazon.com: AC Adapter, Universal AC100-240V to DC 24V 1A Power Supply Converter Charger Cord 5.52.1mm for Mini TV, 2.5 inch Mobile Hard Disk, Mobile DVD(US Plug 110-130v): Electronics

This particular piece needs a light focused upward and these lights are perfect for it.
IMG_2970.JPG

Showing the ceiling. Wife didn't want to be in the pic so blocked out. Lol!
lamp2.jpg

I know I am late to the conversation, but the wiring of the distribution puck (DP) shows these are in parallel and not serialized. So you could put a dimmer/on-off switch inline to each light puck (LP) (after the DP) if you wanted to keep the original 24vDC power supply in place. You can extend wire length from the DP to the LP using a similar thin gauge wiring noting proper ground/hot wires.

I have this same LEDBERG lighting set mounted on the underside of an IKEA cabinet for over-desk lighting (works great for that) and am now in the process of getting an inline 24vDC dimmer, but having a hard time getting the connector type for a clean no solder solution. I'll go there if needed, but seems like there should be an easy way to insert at the power supply once I know the barrel/coax connector type...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back