IKEA LEDBERG Light Mod

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Would anyone know anything about these lights? IKEA calls these a 4 PACK but in the fine print it says ONE cord so all 4 go to a hub that goes to a plug in the wall. Would there be any way to mod these so that I can plug each one in individually?

ledberg-led-spotlight-white__0507285_PE635036_S4.JPG

So you have all the necessary tools like a solder and the other things necessary to connect them to new power outlets right? If so it’s not that bad just each before they all combine and get some new plugins and connect them ie two wires to plug in and wala. Done.

So you're saying there aren't any capicitors or any kind of electrical thingamajigs that I need to put in between the plug and the LED?

So you're saying there aren't any capicitors or any kind of electrical thingamajigs that I need to put in between the plug and the LED?
You are correct as there is a current limiting resistor (or resistors) in the hub, without which you will just burn out the LEDs.

But that's the problem. If I cut one off then I've lost all internals that need to be replicated by me for single light use. BTW I think those internals are in the wall wart and probably set up to requlate all four at the same time.
2554986C-0477-4F5A-9C9D-499B4F9E0383.jpeg

I bought these thinking the same thing, then returned them the next week because they couldn’t be modded. Ended up buying these at Home Depot for a heck of a lot less at $19. A lot cleaner look and able to dim each color or brighten for each color too.

ECC7A0D3-4AEF-427C-B770-FD10F0350797.jpeg

What about the 1-pack of the same light? Found here: LEDBERG LED spotlight - IKEA
Going with four individuals is more expensive than just purchasing/modding the 4-pack though.

As an aside, I use the OMLOPP line of lights (individual lights, plus a separate power supply). I use these in my prop display cases, they're connected to the Ikea power supply which is then connected to my SmartThings hub and can then be switched on and off or dimmed by a smart switch or remote. It's more expensive overall since it requires the separate power supply and driver, but it might be an option if you have smart lighting already. The driver pairs over Zigbee, so you can use your own hub as long as it supports the protocol. You're not tied to using the IKEA branded hub.

post a pic of the 'hub' internals...

and the switch housing (opened up)

what are the specs on the back of the wal-wart? voltage?

We'll be able to tell a lot more what would be needed to mod it.

post a pic of the 'hub' internals...

and the switch housing (opened up)

what are the specs on the back of the wal-wart? voltage?

We'll be able to tell a lot more what would be needed to mod it.

I was kinda hoping to not destroy it just yet. I'm guessing nothing in the hub since it is just a thin little disc. The wall wart has the text embossed into it. Ugh. This is what I can make out:

INPUT: 100-240V
50/66Hz 0.05A 4W PF>=0.7
OUTPUT: 24VDC Max 3W
Ta 35 degrees C TC 75 degrees C

* OUTPUT: 24VDC Max 3W

The leds themselves are probably configured to pull around 6v each.. and then those are wired in series perhaps?

or there are some resistors in that product somewhere...

If this is for a detolf shelf I would say it's the wrong tool to begin with. You don't want a single spotlight for a shelf - you'd get so much side shadow on faces etc. with only the top of heads illuminated! you need an LED strip around the edges and especially the front.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back