Ikariya's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry: Spider-Man

Ikariya

Here's my entry for 2012, my full body Spider-Man costume! Thank you everyone who have posted advice about spider suits as I was able to use most if not all of the posts to make my suit. I've sewn things together before and the pattern was interesting to put together since its a 'onesie'. I usually make robot type or weapons type props and costumes so a tight fitting costume is totally opposite my style.
28372010150931855555793.jpg

Materials:
* Taylor's custom made Spider-suit pattern - comic style with muscle tone, no bricks.
* a pair of water shoes in my size
* Shoe Goo (for the bottom of the feet)
* sewing supplies - zipper, thread, etc.
* Plasti-dip
* AZ spidey's face shell

Making the suit:
Although I was able to decipher the pattern and how the parts went together, my girlfriend was the one actually sewing all the parts together with special modes on her machine.
Some images of putting spidey together... took about sleepless 2 weekends
001wsf.jpg

We took extra special care with all the seams... I was really happy once the gloves and sleeves were done.
imag5609.jpg

Difficulties:

I got the eyes also from Taylor and they look like one of Spide4fun's versions. The rubber was not fully cured and became sticky and absorbed loads of dust. I cleaned them off as best I could then put many many many layers of black plasti-dip on it to give it that flat rubbery black look. I glued in the white mesh lenses as best I could with hot glue or superglue, whatever would bond best.

Getting the eyes to look right on the mask is one of the toughest parts of Spidey suits. I decided to do it in the following way: I estimated on the face shell where I wanted the eyes. I then drilled three holes for each eye and stuck a brass brad through both the fabric and the shell, covering them up inside so they wouldn't cut my face up. This made sure that 1- the eyes didn't move around, 2 - the eyes were floating above the mask a little bit, and 3 - they bonded the eyes to the shell and the mask. Unfortunately the eyes with the weird rubber issue from before did not want to stick to anything with any kind of glue. They took lots of roughing up and many glueings before they would bond permanently.

I took a lot of time to use a fine tipped sharpie to trace out all the hem lines and webs so that we could see them during sewing. I really wanted the webs to line up as much as possible and using the sharpie was the best way to get them visible on the opposite side.
imag5600.jpg

I need glasses to see. Unfortunately, although they fit inside the mask, they fog up to a nice blinding white. I had plastic lenses for a time to make a classic spidey reflection, however they fogged up so bad I had to take them out. In some of the pictures below you can see the reflective lenses, but I had to take them out for safety reasons.

Final product:
editsdcc2012black146.jpg

editsdcc2012black074.jpg

editsdcc2012black102.jpg

Evidence:

dsc04128a.jpg

Thanks for looking! I really would like to make another suit eventually.

@Peter Parker,
Unfortunately they came with they eyes. It is a really fine metal mesh. I've been researching to find them and the local hobby stores don't have them. I think since this is probably one of Spidey4fun's eyes that you may be able to ask him.

Dude.... thats awesome! I know this thread is relatively old but still bro, thats very cool! Looks just like the Ultimate Spider Man!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back