"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine." Huh?

Rupert_Angier

Sr Member
So, I'm watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike, and my wife asks, "Is this the one where Obi-Wan dies?" I tell her it is, and she asks, "What did he do after he died? 'I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine, but you won't see me again, Darth, so it doesn't matter, does it?"

All these years, I've never questioned Ben's line. Now, in 2012, I have to know what did he do with all this power? Nothing! Man!

Re: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine."

He came back to guide Luke.

Re: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine."

So, I'm watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike, and my wife asks, "Is this the one where Obi-Wan dies?" I tell her it is, and she asks, "What did he do after he died? 'I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine, but you won't see me again, Darth, so it doesn't matter, does it?"

All these years, I've never questioned Ben's line. Now, in 2012, I have to know what did he do with all this power? Nothing! Man!

I take it you and your wife have yet to watch Episodes V and VI.

Right. And presumably being untied from the physical world gave him a greater prescience too. When Luke says he has to stay with his family toward the start of the movie ("you must do what you feel is right, of course"), it honestly doesn't seem that Obi Wan knows what's to come. But when he tells Luke to switch off the targeting computer, you kind of know he knows Luke will bulls eye it.

As much as I like the original trilogy that line is a bit goofy.

Obi-Wan - "I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. I will be able to TALK TO LUKE!"

Vader - "Nooooooooooo!"

I can see Vader being upset about that.. I mean, he's Luke's father and can't even talk to him.. lol.

We've seen all episodes, but other than talk to Luke as a blue ghost, he didn't do anything else. Didn't haunt the Emperor, didn't spy on key posistions for the Rebellion. Nothing.

Nailed it. (y)thumbsup

NEXT QUESTION.

And presumably being untied from the physical world gave him a greater prescience too. When Luke says he has to stay with his family toward the start of the movie ("you must do what you feel is right, of course"), it honestly doesn't seem that Obi Wan knows what's to come. But when he tells Luke to switch off the targeting computer, you kind of know he knows Luke will bulls eye it.

I always like to think he gave Anakin nightmares and screwed with his mind! :lol

I think it's a reference to him becoming part of the force. With Obi and all Jedi getting their power from the force, and if the belief is that when a Jedi dies their life goes to the force, it becomes more powerful.

So in essence with Obi being alive he is but one Jedi, with his death he become part of the force and part of every Jedi to have existed. Therefore becoming indeed more powerful than you can ever imagine... I think...

Maybe?

Not only that, but how much harder do Luke, Leia, and Han because Vader killed Obi Wan. It's a sort of like being a martyr.

Again this is another concept never really explored in the movies. All we get to see is that dead Ben can talk to Luke so in essence dead Ben is no more powerful than live Ben. Their relationship is unchanged from live Ben to dead Ben. It's never mentioned that dead Ben has more prescience, can part the Dune Sea, or fart lightning bolts. It's up to the fans to fill in the blanks. My interpretation is that Ben was just messing with Vader.

Last edited:

Didn't you notice that when Ben knows that Luke can see him and Vader dueling he smiles. Luke is the good guy's last hope of overthrowing the emperor, and Luke seeing Vader kill Kenobi is the catalyst that sets him on his course to overthrowing the empire.

That's what I took from it as well - knowing that witnessing his death would be a watershed moment for Luke - and commit him to the path of overthrowing Vader and Empire. I think that's the first time Luke actually SEES Vader, no?

How can a non corporeal being become more powerful from the Force, when apparently the Force is a determination of how many Midichlorians you have? God I hate those prequels more and more. ****ing Lucas.

Hey you guys...come on! What Obi meant was he would become more powerful than you can imagine...from a certain point of view.

They should all be dead anyways after a new hope.

When escaping from the princesses cell, she shoots out the
vent and they slide down into the garbage compactor. Yet, when Luke
is yelling at Threepio, he says to shut down all the compactors ABOVE
the detention level. They went down, not up.... Right?

Yeah, but when R2 is taking too long, 3PO finally says to 'Shut them all down', doesn't he?

Brian

"more powerful than you could possibly imagine" doesn't mean he'll be really powerful. He just knew Vader had very low expectations.

It was an old Jedi poker bluff Ben attempted. Whoopsie.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back