"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine." Huh?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Rupert_Angier, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

So, I'm watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike, and my wife asks, "Is this the one where Obi-Wan dies?" I tell her it is, and she asks, "What did he do after he died? 'I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine, but you won't see me again, Darth, so it doesn't matter, does it?"

All these years, I've never questioned Ben's line. Now, in 2012, I have to know what did he do with all this power? Nothing! Man!

2. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine."

He came back to guide Luke.

3. carbonitekid

carbonitekid Well-Known Member

Re: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than can possibly imagine."

I take it you and your wife have yet to watch Episodes V and VI.

4. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

Right. And presumably being untied from the physical world gave him a greater prescience too. When Luke says he has to stay with his family toward the start of the movie ("you must do what you feel is right, of course"), it honestly doesn't seem that Obi Wan knows what's to come. But when he tells Luke to switch off the targeting computer, you kind of know he knows Luke will bulls eye it.

5. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

As much as I like the original trilogy that line is a bit goofy.

Obi-Wan - "I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. I will be able to TALK TO LUKE!"

Vader - "Nooooooooooo!"

6. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

I can see Vader being upset about that.. I mean, he's Luke's father and can't even talk to him.. lol.

7. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

We've seen all episodes, but other than talk to Luke as a blue ghost, he didn't do anything else. Didn't haunt the Emperor, didn't spy on key posistions for the Rebellion. Nothing.

8. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Nailed it. (y)thumbsup

NEXT QUESTION.

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I always like to think he gave Anakin nightmares and screwed with his mind! :lol

10. randomist

randomist Member

I think it's a reference to him becoming part of the force. With Obi and all Jedi getting their power from the force, and if the belief is that when a Jedi dies their life goes to the force, it becomes more powerful.

So in essence with Obi being alive he is but one Jedi, with his death he become part of the force and part of every Jedi to have existed. Therefore becoming indeed more powerful than you can ever imagine... I think...

Maybe?

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Not only that, but how much harder do Luke, Leia, and Han because Vader killed Obi Wan. It's a sort of like being a martyr.

12. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Again this is another concept never really explored in the movies. All we get to see is that dead Ben can talk to Luke so in essence dead Ben is no more powerful than live Ben. Their relationship is unchanged from live Ben to dead Ben. It's never mentioned that dead Ben has more prescience, can part the Dune Sea, or fart lightning bolts. It's up to the fans to fill in the blanks. My interpretation is that Ben was just messing with Vader.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  13. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Didn't you notice that when Ben knows that Luke can see him and Vader dueling he smiles. Luke is the good guy's last hope of overthrowing the emperor, and Luke seeing Vader kill Kenobi is the catalyst that sets him on his course to overthrowing the empire.

14. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

That's what I took from it as well - knowing that witnessing his death would be a watershed moment for Luke - and commit him to the path of overthrowing Vader and Empire. I think that's the first time Luke actually SEES Vader, no?

15. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

How can a non corporeal being become more powerful from the Force, when apparently the Force is a determination of how many Midichlorians you have? God I hate those prequels more and more. ****ing Lucas.

16. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Hey you guys...come on! What Obi meant was he would become more powerful than you can imagine...from a certain point of view.

17. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They should all be dead anyways after a new hope.

When escaping from the princesses cell, she shoots out the
    vent and they slide down into the garbage compactor. Yet, when Luke
    is yelling at Threepio, he says to shut down all the compactors ABOVE
    the detention level. They went down, not up.... Right?

18. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Yeah, but when R2 is taking too long, 3PO finally says to 'Shut them all down', doesn't he?

Brian

19. dbhs

dbhs Well-Known Member

"more powerful than you could possibly imagine" doesn't mean he'll be really powerful. He just knew Vader had very low expectations.

20. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

It was an old Jedi poker bluff Ben attempted. Whoopsie.

21. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Well, bluff it may be, but it worked.
    And being a martyr for the right reasons does give that person a rather large amount of power as well. That's not to say that being a martyr is a good thing. After all, dead heroes can do no more than inspire others. While that may be enough in cases, in others, what possible good will it do?

I would imagine that the concept is explored a little more in the books, but I don't know, because I haven't read them. Books are typically far more informative on missing or altered details than movies are. Star Wars will be, and is no exception. Books can be of any length, but movies can only be so long before the audience loses interest.

22. tcsmit29

tcsmit29 Well-Known Member

+1 That is exactly what I understood the line to mean.:thumbsup

23. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

If he could have beaten Vader, they could all leave and Ben would still be alive. The only times he helped Luke as a spirit was to tell him to shoot and go to Dagobah. He could have used a radio to do that.

The rebels would have still destroyed the Death Star and lost fewer pilots with no Vader shooting them down.

He basically sat around during Luke's training, and Luke had no reason to end his training too soon. He and Luke and Yoda vs the Emperor.

24. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

Yep, Obi pretty much screwed the pooch.

actually if you (force yourself to) rewatch the prequels, this seems to be a consistent character..... ahem... trait of old Ben...
    HE'S a SCREW UP!

25. Monkeys With Guns

Monkeys With Guns Active Member

Anyone know how many holidays a year Spike TV does the Star Wars marathon thing ? I know they do it for other holidays but can't remember which one's .

26. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

I think it's EVERY holiday and every other weekend... :lol Any time I've ever turned on Spike, it's been showing Star Wars..

27. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Here's one I just noticed tonight as well.

Han, Chewy, Luke and Ben are hiding in the Falcon...Han calls two storm troopers inside to help them.
    Then you hear two blaster sounds (and they didnt sound like they were set on stun).

Then Han and Luke come out and there's no laser scorch on the uniforms.

28. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

KD, I think the line was "Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level." or something like that...

29. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

This! This answered it for me. Moo, you are a genius. In reality, I think Uncle George just didn't follow through on this crazy plot. His one "No"-man was his ex, and she probably shot it down because it was too far out there.

And I love how Spike plays the saga all the time. "Tune in for Star Wars, on Spike, because it's.... Uh, Tuesday...."

30. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Maybe he was just bluffing.

31. christrom

christrom Well-Known Member

In the earlier scripts of ESB and ROTJ Obi-wan did help luke a lot more, but it just started getting a bit weird... if I remember well, Obi-wan is standing at the sidelines with the Emperor cheering on Luke in the final battle. Have a look... very interesting

Return of the Jedi « Starkiller

32. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

The troopers were the ones to fire at Han and Luke (and of course missed). Chewy broke their necks. ;)

Kevin

33. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

34. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Ooookay so I guess coming back from the dead, communicating and still guiding your student, SHOWING him that The Force can indeed transcend death...yeah that's not powerful at all...yup...pretty weak.

Not to mention that if he had killed Vader while he was a Sith, Vader would have simply ceased to exist, no comebacks for him then. In fact Annakin was so powerful that he came back twice, first as a middle aged man, then as a young man.

35. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

The thing I've always pondered, was how did they know the trooper armour would fit them, afterall as Leia said "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Did Luke's armour have turn ups?

36. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

They obviously cut the chest plate down. :)

37. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Spike seems to just look for an excuse to run the Star Wars marathon. It's either that or Bond movies.

I still find it funny that Lucas dumped the last third of the opera (technically, SW is an opera, albeit w/o the singing).

38. nemesis2me

nemesis2me New Member

I haven't read the full script yet but I really think the rough draft is great, they definitely should of stuck to it more.

39. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Not a bad read at all. Thanks for posting that, Christrom.

40. antwayne

antwayne Well-Known Member

George Lucas decided to kill the character during filming and Alec Guiness was not happy about it. So, I think the line was to make Sir Alec (and us) feel that his death had meaning. There was no guarantee that there would be other episodes at the time they filmed the first one. George has said that he hadn't given him anything to do after they escaped from the death star, so he decided to kill him.

In revisionist hindsight, there is the idea that Qui-Gon's ghost was teaching him that a jedi who becomes one with the force can eventually return as a corporeal immortal- of course George hadn't thought that one up yet and Qui-Gon still hadn't pulled if off anyway.

41. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Yup, my thoughts exactly. They get grabbed from behind and we hear blasts shot in panic.

42. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

He could have done all of that while alive.

43. Aussie66

Aussie66 Member

LOL well worded, sir :)

44. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Maybe Kenobi can be seen, or maybe Luke 'can see dead people'. Luke is the only one to see them, right?

Or Luke is dreaming the whole thing after being hit on the head by the sand people. He dreams a magic wizard saves him, and he's really important, and the best pilot with no training, and fights the whole Empire and wins...Yeah, right.

And what happened to those guys? Did they just stay in the cargo hold? Yuck.

And the clothes fit, with their normal clothes underneath, including boots.

45. blipper

blipper Sr Member

This is how I've always understood it too, it's the death of the mentor that spurns the hero onto a great achievement.
    There's something perhaps cynically manipulative though in the way Obi-Wan clearly waits until Luke has a good eyeful before dropping his guard before Vader. What may have been intended to embolden could easily have tipped over to revenge. I've heard that can turn out not so good.

46. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Obi-Wan was a terrible poker player.