If licensed companies made accurate props, would you still make your own?

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If a licensed company (ie: Efx, Sideshow, etc) made TRULY screen accurate props/costumes FOR A GOOD PRICE, would you still strive to make your own?

Like what Efx did with the Vader helmet. You can get a screen accurate version and an "idealized" version. It is a brilliant concept and I believe they sold out in like 10 minutes.

Thoughts?

I think it's a fantastic concept, and great for people like me who lack the skills needed to create their own replica props and all. If I DID have the ability to create my own quality replicas, I believe I still would, even if there we're good screen accurate ones available to buy. I think it's safe to say that the majority of the members here who build and create their own replicas do so because it's something they enjoy and take pride in.

Still, it would be a nice alternate option to have either way (if for example, you didn't have a whole lot of time to put together a costume, and needed specific props ASAP).

For myself, and I would guess this would ring true for many of the busy professionals here, the big variable in the equation is really TIME.

Sure, I'm a creative guy, and have plenty of the skills and experience, but I just don't have the free time to spend on my own prop builds these days. I don't have time for many of the creative endeavours I used to enjoy when I had the time.

So, I'm all over it when somebody else (whether a licensed prop company or unlicensed prop builder) makes good accurate props available for a reasonable price. Of course, If I had the time, I would rather be able to do it myself and post my build progress here and bask in the glory. Unfortunately, I don't have that resource, so I have to spend money to get the toys that I want. $1000 isn't all that much, compared to the months of free time it would take to produce the same thing myself.

The cost to manufacture a one of screen accurate prop can cost more than the purchase price of a licensed replica prop.

Take my Rassilon Custom Tennant sonic for example, it’s not screen accurate but looks simular to a Tennant sonic. if I was going to just make a one of, it would have cost me well over $1000, and that’s taken in the time to set up the CNC mills and lathes the time to do the 3D design drawings so I can convert them into machine G codes for the CNC’s.

Time is a factor in most build as well as cost, you may have the funds but no time or the right equipment to build your replica so buying a licensed prop replica is by far the cheaper alternative to making your own.

And there are others that simply do there builds for the pleasure of building.
For me I’m 50/50 would perchance a licence prop if there was one that I wonted and if there was not, I would build it.

People make replicas for different reasons, and a licensee can not cater to all these reasons.
People make costumes (with prop accessories) before a movie comes out, to wear at the movie premiere, but it is not always that the licensee, or vendors, have the items ready by then.

In the OP, there was mentioned a licensed item that sold out. That is yet another reason to build it yourself.

Making stuff yourself can be the greatest thing in the world (when it turns out nice, or even better than you expected). But I can seriously enjoy a good lisenced replica, because it's licenced and official. It comes in a nice and shiny box!!!!!

Sure i would. For the fun of making it on my own.

It´s my way to relax from the office, from making business decisions to the good or the bad of our company.

But that´s my job, nothing where my heart is - only for the money.

But in my free time, i love to build stuff of the things i love - SF, especially ST, and over all SW. Obvisiously I´m no carpenter, but i decided to build my ST-themed home cinema on my own - i´ve bought the tools and i started, and i think it´s not that bad. Later i´ve started model building, incl. mastering some SW-kits, until i noticed getting tired on plastic. And atm. i try to build some blasters, and from time to time a lightsaber.

Just for the fun of creating something - i don´t even display my build stuff (usually, except a handfull of lightsabers displayed on my SW-chronicles), most of it is lying around on the floor of the cinema, is stored in boxes, and is packed in a corner of my workbench.

Who ever had a real Margolin/Sterling/MGC... - build in his hand, with real addon parts - and compared it to the respective MR stuff (as they are the most prominent license for SW) will only consider the licensed stuff if nothing else is available. And additional to the feeling of real parts is the fun of building it on your own.

Aye, sure i would still build it by myself. :cool

I'm a props n00b, but I can't imagine ever buying a fully realised prop. (Beyond toys and action-figures.)

For me, it's all about the artistry and craft. It's like the difference between creating a painting in oils, and just buying one from a store. They're just not the same thing.

For the same reason, I'm not interested in screen accuracy. I like happy accidents, and individuality. I admire those people who do pursue such accuracy (particularly in scale modelling) but novelty and coolness always outweigh accuracy for me.

Depends on what kind of props.
If it's costumes then Yes.

But if it's like other props(mostly guns and the other electronics), I would prefer if it's like a kit since building/designing brings the fun of making those props.

I might depending but for stuff I don't have the tech to make (machining tools and such) I would pay a good price for them just because it would be more affordable they hiring someone.

If it came down to buying something that I could make better myself, you bet I would still make my own,

Not to bee too redundant about what's already been said, but it is nice being in control (barring catastrophic accidents / cruel twists of fate) of a project and making the prop into what you want!

Personally, I think I would buy. I have made props in the past but only because there wasn't anything out there at the time. It I can save myself all that trouble...great!

It all depends on a balance between

1) The price.

2) If I can make the prop myself, how hard would it be to make it if I could.

3) How badly I want it.

I'm a lazy bum at the end of the day, and if there is an easy way out, I'll take it :lol

Illuminated sabers are my thing and what can now be done by 'pro' sabersmiths or DIY in the saber hobby is so far ahead of what Hasbro Force FX or even Master Replicas has ever offered that I can't imagine going back to licensed lightsaber replicas unless they made a quantum leap in quality that the mass production for mass consumers marketing paradigm Hasbro as a TOY company pursues makes unlikely. But if some other licensee someday would make licensed replicas to screen accuracy with modern technology we use in DIY sabers instead of the antiquated LED string component blades of the Force FX system I'd reconsider. Until then DIY all the way.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back