If AVP had AVPR'S gore,would it have been a hit?

CRANIUM

Hi guys,as the title says,i have always thought that AVP had a decent story(except for that pred team up) but thought it was a kick in the teeth by the lack of gore and off screen kills,AVPR had the gore but no story,so i thought if AVP had the gore would it have been better received?

EDIT:Hi guys,everybody seems to think it would still suck with more gore but what i actually mean is would it have been better if it had the more adult theme of the first predator and not such a kids movie? for example do you remember blains chest exploding for the very first time? it was gory but it was also dam frightening at the same time,AVP had none of that, i only count 4 or 5 REALLY feeble blood spurts in AVP and found it really cheap with the number of off screen kills which makes no shock value.
IF (thats a big IF) AVP had the gore and shock value and no off screen kills(and no paul anderson)then i think it would have been a mild success for both fans,but i think i speak for everyone here when i say fox is not giving us fans what we want and we want an AVP movie in space with marines?

No.
At least I dont think that. 'Gore' does not make a movie. A good script, acting and characters are keystones to a good movie. Its was a good thought to make AVP but it was not well executed. You have too many backs to rub when you're mixing both Alien and Predator in a movie, along with humans, that in the end you have only scratched the surface of everyone involved - in other words, noone got a good rubbing on their backs.
Maybe if they have turned the whole movie - characters, filming etc. - a bit more thriller/horror (or whatever) like, then maybe... just maybe would it have been better executed.
Sometimes, a good thought is only that - a good thought. But Im not speaking for everyone here, this is just my 2 cents :D

no, simply because digital gore is very sh**ty. Just try to compare '87's Predator's gore and AVPR gore - blood and gore effects made by computer programs are nothing to oldshool, realistic looking ones.

It be a little better considering AVPR had a good level of gore. But i have to agree with Nicole, unlike others i enjoyed the AVP movies alot. The predators were great...specially Wolf...

No.
At least I dont think that. 'Gore' does not make a movie. A good script, acting and characters are keystones to a good movie. Its was a good thought to make AVP but it was not well executed. You have too many backs to rub when you're mixing both Alien and Predator in a movie, along with humans, that in the end you have only scratched the surface of everyone involved - in other words, noone got a good rubbing on their backs.
Maybe if they have turned the whole movie - characters, filming etc. - a bit more thriller/horror (or whatever) like, then maybe... just maybe would it have been better executed.
Sometimes, a good thought is only that - a good thought. But Im not speaking for everyone here, this is just my 2 cents

I concur. It was a great idea poorly executed. It is hard for me to watch it with all of the bad acting in it, but I still manage to somehow They could have attained better actors ( the archaeologist, Sebastian, was particularly brutal "They MUSTN'T REACH...THE ...SURFACE!! :rolleyes: ) and if they wanted to keep it PG-13, they could have done quite a bit with suspense/thriller. This was a Paul Anderson fail. There was so much left on the cutting room floor that many of the conversations that remained made absolutely no sense. The book was better.

Well, from my perspective... I have to agree that gore does NOT make a movie.

AVP just sucked on so many levels. From the story taking place in the Arctic, all the way down to the football player looking PRED's and the lack of their armor being diverse like their Bio's.

I was so damned excited to watch that film, but when I was walking out of the theater I was like... "what the HELL were they thinking?".

AVP-R on the other hand... eh, a little better and more "gory", but it was really hard to tell what was going on a lot of the time. Like Ha'Khan said though, real special fx gore beats the living HELL out of digital gore.

The best things to come out of the two though, were the CELTIC PRED's Bio, some wicked looking ships, a realization of the HYBRID (PREDALIEN), and of course... the big bad WOLF.

No. It didn't make AVP-R worthwhile either. It is a mistake to think that gore alone would sell the picture. Same goes for effects, suits, etc.

It needs to come together, and AVP did that way better than AVP-R did.

AVP would have been a hit if...it was never made.

Hate to say it, that movie and AVPR are terrible, but I still watch them.

It probably wouldn't have been a hit, but if it was rated R at least it would have been better than it is now. None of the films are PG-13. From Predator to Aliens franchised films to AVP-R all rated R.

AVPR would have been good if it had the lighting of AVP. I can't stand to watch much of AVPR because of that. ANd AVP would have been good if it wasn't so obviously reaching for something "different". It's fine to incorporate Aliens with the Predators but seriously...I've crapped more compelling things than that.

I think it needs a combination of things. The only salvagable part of AVP:R was Ian Whyte as the Wolf & The Predalien Hybrid coming into the movies. AVP itself needed a better story - a different location & more stealth & actual hunting scenes. This felt like a game of cat & mouse and then they make Lex some sort of half-assed Machiko wannabe. AVP:R was only slightly better in that Wolf went back to the Pred's main area of expertise - Hunting. Actually being a "Cleaner" of sorts, but still maintaining that stealthy aspect.

The bottom line is that AVP fell short because of the fact that it was AVP: nothing was really salvagable from either series except for the Suit Actors & their performances. I think the AVP franchise has been all but had a tree dropped on it's large ugly head, let it go out with a bang big enough to destroy 300 city blocks.

Better actors and better script would have made a big difference.

Fewer humans, but more developed, would have been more interesting as well.

Given it's budget, I think Anderson made the film look very good in terms of visuals.

PS The rumor is that Sanaa Lathan was having a long term affair with Denzel Washington, and he used his influence to help her get more prominent roles, including AVP. It's what I've heard, unconfirmed.

No, it would still have been ***** thanks to Scars puppy dog eye's and humanised face.... BARF!!! although if that gore had been Paul W.S Anderson getting his spine ripped out by celtic then yes.... maybe it would have been a more enjoyable flick?

Same could be said of Predators, infact it was one of my biggest complaints in the review thread. CG is a wonderfull thing when used right, but when overused it can ruin any even the best films. I hope the predators sequal has more make up effects and loads of tomato ketchup!!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back